Dr M. Rodwan Abouharb
Senior Lecturer in International Relations
Dr. Rod Abouharb's research examines processes that affect the civility of relations between government and its citizens. In particular he is interested in how economic integration into the international economic system affects the onset of civil war and human rights abuses within countries.
Recent and Notable Publications
- Abouharb, M. Rodwan and David Cingranelli. 2007. Human Rights and Structural Adjustment. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Choice Outstanding Academic Title 2009 - Winner
Peer Reviewed Journals
- Abouharb, M. Rodwan and Susan Aaronson. 2013. “Does the WTO Help Member States Improve Governance?” World Trade Review. (October) 1-36.
- Abouharb, M. Rodwan, and Susan Aaronson. 2013. “Is More Trade Always Better? The WTO & Human Rights in Conflict Zones.” Journal of World Trade. 47:5 1091–1128.
- Abouharb, M. Rodwan, Laura Moyer, and Megan Schmidt. 2013. “De Facto Judicial Independence and Physical Integrity Rights.” Journal of Human Rights. 12: 367–396.
- Abouharb, M. Rodwan, and Susan Aaronson. 2011. “Unexpected Bedfellows: The GATT, the WTO and Some Democratic Rights.” International Studies Quarterly. 55: 1-30.
- Abouharb, M. Rodwan, and David Cingranelli. 2009. “IMF Programs and Human Rights, 1981-2003.” Review of International Organizations. 4(1): 47-72.
- Abouharb, M. Rodwan and Anessa L. Kimball. 2007. “A New Dataset on Infant Mortality Rates, 1816-2002.” Journal of Peace Research 44(6): 743–754.
- Sobek, David, M. Rodwan Abouharb, and Christopher G. Ingram. 2006. “The Human Rights Peace: How the Respect for Human Rights at Home Leads to Peace Abroad.” Journal of Politics (August) 68 (3): 519-529.
- Abouharb, M. Rodwan, and David Cingranelli. 2006. “The Human Rights Effects of World Bank Structural Adjustment Lending, 1981-2000.” International Studies Quarterly (June) 50: 233-262.
- Regan, Patrick M. and M. Rodwan Abouharb. 2002. "Interventions and Civil Conflicts: Tools of Conflict Management or Simply Another Participant?" World Affairs. 165:1 42-54
- Abouharb, M. Rodwan, and David Cingranelli. 2005. “When the World Bank Says Yes: Determinants of Structural Adjustment Lending,” In Gustav Ranis, James Raymond Vreeland, and Stephen Kosack (eds.) Globalization And The Nation State: The Impact of The IMF and The World Bank. Routledge. Pp 204-230.
- Abouharb, M. Rodwan, and David Cingranelli. 2004. “Human Rights and Structural Adjustment: The Importance of Selection,” in Sabine C. Carey and Steven C. Poe (eds.) Understanding Human Rights Violations: New Systematic Studies. Ashgate Publishing: Aldershot, England. Pp 127-146.
- Abouharb, M. Rodwan. 2008. Review of State Repression and the Domestic Democratic Peace. By Christian Davenport” (Cambridge University Press, 2007.) Journal of Politics 70:563-565.
- Abouharb, M. Rodwan. 2007. Review of Democracy and War: Institutions, Norms, and the Evolution of International Conflict. By David, L. Rousseau.” (Stanford University Press, 2005). Journal of Conflict Studies XXVII:1.
Awards and Honours
- LSU “Rainmaker Award” Top 100 Research Faculty at Louisiana State University, 2008.
- Excellence in Graduate Research Award, Binghamton University, 2004.