Dr Lauge N. Skovgaard Poulsen
Senior Lecturer in International Political Economy
Lauge Poulsen joined UCL in September 2014 as a Lecturer in International Political Economy. He holds a PhD in International Relations from the London School of Economics and works on the politics of international law, foreign investment and energy. Prior to joining UCL Lauge was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow based at University of Oxford, Nuffield College, where he remains a Senior Research Associate at the Global Economic Governance Program.
Lauge has been a visiting scholar at the Economic Studies Division of the Brookings Institution and the Law Department at the London School of Economics as well as a Senior Research Fellow at the Department of Politics and International Studies at University of London, SOAS.
He has advised both developed and developing countries on their foreign investment policies and appeared before committees at the House of Lords, House of Commons, and the European Parliament.
- Bounded Rationality and Economic Diplomacy: The Politics of Investment Treaties in Developing Countries. Cambridge University Press, forth.
- The Political Economy of the International Investment Regime. Oxford University Press, forth. (with Michael Waibel and Jonathan Bonnitcha).
- Bounded Rationality and the Diffusion of Modern Investment Treaties. International Studies Quarterly, 2014, vol. 58, issue 1, pp. 1-14.
- When the Claim Hits: Bilateral Investment Treaties and Bounded Rational Learning. World Politics, 2013, vol. 65, issue 2, pp. 273-313 (with Emma Aisbett).
- The Importance of BITs for Foreign Direct Investment and Political Risk Insurance: Revisiting the Evidence. Yearbook of International Investment Law & Policy 2009-2010. Oxford University Press, 2010. Partly reprinted in: Columbia FDI Perspectives, no. 27, 2010.
- Investment Treaties and the Globalization of State Capitalism: Opportunities and Constraints for Host States. In: Roberto Echandi and Pierre Sauvé (eds.) Prospects in International Investment Law and Policy. Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- The Politics of South-South Bilateral Investment Treaties. In: Tomer Broude, Amy Porges, and Marc Busch (eds.), The Politics of International Economic Law. Cambridge University Press, 2011. Partly reprinted from: Northwestern Journal of International Law and Business, 2010, vol. 30, issue 1, pp. 101-130.
- Foreign Direct Investment in Times of Crisis. Peterson Institute for International Economics Working Paper, Jan. 2011 (with Gary Hufbauer). Reprinted in: Transnational Corporations, 2011, vol. 20, issue 1, pp. 19-38.
- Book review: Karl Sauvant and Lisa Sachs, eds., The Effect of Treaties on Foreign Direct Investment: Bilateral Investment Treaties, Double Taxation Treaties, and Investment Flows. European Journal of International Law, 2009, vol. 20, issue 3, pp. 935-938.
Selected work in progress
- Electricity and Rural Development: A Natural Experiment in Pakistan (with Mahvish Shami and Hadia Majid).
- Investment Law Before Arbitration (with Michael Waibel and Martins Paparinskis).
- The Politics of Investment Disputes (with Srividya Jandhyala and Geoffrey Gertz).
- Privileged Aliens? The Relative Treatment of Foreign Investors (with Emma Aisbett).
Selected policy contributions
- Investment Protection in TTIP: Three Feasible Proposals. Policy Brief, Global Economic Governance Programme, University of Oxford, December 2014 (with Jan Kleinheisterkamp).
Author of three reports for the UK Department of Business, Innovation and Skills (with Jonathan Bonnitcha and Jason Yackee)
- 'Costs and Benefits of an EU-US Investment Protection Treaty.' Partly reprinted in: Dan Hamilton and Jacques Pelkmans, eds., The Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership in the Balance, Washington, DC, and Brussels: Center for Transatlantic Relations and Centre for European Policy Studies, forth.
- 'Costs and Benefits of an EU-China Investment Protection Treaty'
- 'Analytical Framework for Assessing Costs and Benefits of Investment Protection Treaties'