2013 Conference Proceedings Published in Journal of Ethnopharmacology
- Proceedings from the 2013 conference 'Spices and Medicine: From Historical Obsession to Research of the Future' have been published in a 2014 special issue ofJournal of Ethnopharmacology. This special issue combines the proceedings of the Spices and Medicines conference with those of a conference hosted by the UCL Wellcome Centre for the History of Medicine, and broadly covers the historical and present-day use of food and spice plants as potent medical substances. The thirteen papers focus on:
- -historical evidence of the use of foods and medicines;
- -historical use and commodification of spices;
- -present-day role of foods and plants as medicines; and
- -present commodification and regulation of foods and plant-based medicines.
- The articles in press were published online in Fall (Oct-Nov) 2014. Click here to view the articles on JEP's website.
2013 Conference Report Now Available for Download
To read the summary report from our 24 May 2013 conference, please click the link below:
2013 Conference Hosted by UCL on Spices and Medicine
On Friday 24th May 2013, UCL presented a one-day conference, "Spices and Medicine: From Historical Obsession to Research of the Future". The conference was sponsored by the British Society for the History of Science and London BioNat, and hosted by the UCL School of Pharmacy in association with UCL School of European Languages, Culture and Society.
Page last modified on 29 nov 14 17:35