UCL Spices and Medicine
a new interdisciplinary conference and seminar series
2013 Conference Proceedings Published in Journal of Ethnopharmacology
- Proceedings from the 24 May 2013 conference 'Spices and Medicine: From Historical Obsession to Research of the Future' have been published in a 2014 special issue ofJournal of Ethnopharmacology. This special issue combines the proceedings of the Spices and Medicines conference with those of a conference hosted by the UCL Wellcome Centre for the History of Medicine, and broadly covers the historical and present-day use of food and spice plants as potent medical substances. The thirteen papers focus on:
- -historical evidence of the use of foods and medicines;
- -historical use and commodification of spices;
- -present-day role of foods and plants as medicines; and
- -present commodification and regulation of foods and plant-based medicines.
- The articles in press have been published online beginning October 2014. Click here to view the articles on JEP's website.
New website for the UCL Biodiversity and Medicines Research Cluster
- UCL's newly formed research cluster of 'Biodiversity and Medicines' now has its own website. It features the latest research from students and faculty in the area of ethnopharmacology as well as other relevant fields. The Biodiversity and Medicines research cluster is headed by Professor Michael Heinrch. You can visit the website here.
2013 Spices and Medicine Conference Report Now Available
- The summary report from our 24 May 2013 conference is now available for download. You can read or download the 24 May 2013 UCL Spices Conference Report here.
Who We Are:
- The 'Spices and Medicine' series is a new UCL initiative that aims to showcase interdisciplinary research relating the history of science in Europe and the 'Orient' to the present day and its relevance across different academic fields, and to foster collaborations within UCL and between institutions around the world.
- UCL School of Pharmacy Centre for Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy
- UCL SoP Biodiversity and Medicines Research Cluster
- UCL China Centre for Health and Humanity
- UCL Wellcome Trust Centre for the History of Medicine
Series Organisers: Marianne Jennifer Datiles and Professor Michael Heinrich, UCL SoP
For more information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Page last modified on 29 nov 14 17:39