Department of Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American Studies
- News and Events
- Research Seminars
Ms Clare Szembek
(Departmental Co-ordinator Mon-Wed)
Ms Alex Lopez Alvarez
(Departmental Co-ordinator Wed pm-Fri am)
tel 020 7679 3109;
internal extension X33109;
Dr Humberto Núñez-Faraco
(Head of Department)
tel: 020 7679 4332;
internal extension X34332;
News & Forthcoming Events
- Dr Claire Lindsay’s book Contemporary Travel Writing of Latin America
- Q+A with filmmaker Marc Silver
- Student Choice Teaching Award - nominees
- PhD Vivas
- Publication of Dr Guillermo Laín's monograph
- BBC News Magazine - Vicky Pryce and Miguel de Cervantes
- International Conference - The Future of Hispanism
- London World Film Festival 2013
- Translating 'Live' Poetry
- Gained in Translation
- Dr Deborah Martin will introduce El último verano de la boyita at ISA's 'Staging the Future: Argentine Films in Dialogue' Series
We offer a wide range of degree courses combining Spanish with other languages as well as subjects from Film to Management Studies and History of Art.
For further information about our combined programmes, you can visit the French, German, Dutch, History of Art or Management Studies departmental websites. Undergraduate degree programmes normally last four years, with the third year being spent abroad in a Spanish-speaking country of the student's choice.
We provide high-quality research-led teaching that reflects the diversity of the Spanish-speaking world, research specialisms and interests of members of the department, covering topics from Don Quixote to contemporary Latin American poetry and the films of Pedro Almodóvar. We are committed to maintaining the crucial link for a research university between cutting-edge research and teaching.
Students who study Spanish and Latin American Studies at UCL have a wealth of opportunities on their doorstep from music, to art, culture and film. The BFI London Film Festival, the London Spanish Film Festival and Latin American Film Festivals take place annually, in addition to all year-round cultural activities held at the Instituto Cervantes, Canning House and the Institute for the Study of the Americas.