Department of Spanish and Latin American Studies
Ms Clare Szembek
tel 020 7679 3109;
internal extension X33109;
Dr Humberto Núñez-Faraco
(Head of Department)
tel: 020 7679 4332;
internal extension X34332;
News & Forthcoming Events
- Publication of Dr Guillermo Laín's monograph
- BBC News Magazine - Vicky Pryce and Miguel de Cervantes
- International Conference - The Future of Hispanism
- London World Film Festival 2013
- Translating 'Live' Poetry
- Gained in Translation
- Dr Deborah Martin will introduce El último verano de la boyita at ISA's 'Staging the Future: Argentine Films in Dialogue' Series
María Darnley retired in 2008. She worked as Teaching Fellow at the Spanish Department and taught Spanish grammar and syntax, textual analysis and translation from English into Spanish to undergraduates of all levels.
María is a qualified translator and teacher of Spanish as a Modern Language. Currently she is translating a work of literary criticism "Psyche and Symbol in the Theater of F. García Lorca" by Rupert C. Allen.
Her research interests lie in the study of linguistic processes in the transfer of concepts from one language to another. Until recently she has been head of Spanish at Kingsway College in addition to her work as a teacher at UCL.