Department of Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American Studies
News & Forthcoming Events
- Prof. Stephen Hart awarded the Order of Merit
- From the Golden Age to comedy gold
- El mayordomo de la duquesa de Amalfi
- Publication of Dr Zoltán Biedermann's book
- Graduate Student, Andre Graca's Article on Portuguese Cinema
- Valentino Gianuzzi PhD and Lectureship
- Prof Stephen Hart Elected Member of the Peruvian Academy of Language
- Publication of Chinese Translation of Prof Stephen Hart's Gabriel García Márquez Biography
- Publication of Spanish translation of Prof Stephen Hart's literary biography of César Vallejo
Dr Deborah Martin
Senior Lecturer in Latin American Cultural Studies
Dr Deborah Martin (M Phil and PhD Cantab) lectures on the cinema, literature and culture of Latin America. Her research focuses on Latin American cultural production with a particular emphasis on cinema, and draws on a broad range of methodologies, including film theory, gender and sexuality studies, and childhood studies. She has a particular interest in theories of embodiment and touch in cinema.
She is currently working on a book project, Lucrecia Martel, a detailed study of the films of the Argentine director which will be published by Manchester University Press. A second book project (funded by the AHRC 2011-12) looks at representations of childhood in contemporary Latin American films, considering the political associations of the child-figure, the politics of representing the child, and the relationships of these isssues to film aesthetics.
Research publications: http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/view/people/DMART69.html
Deborah teaches the following undergraduate modules: SPAN1223 (Cultural Responses to the Mexican Revolution), SPAN2105 (Introduction to Latin American Cinema), SPAN4410 (Argentine Cinema 1985-present), SPAN4411 (Childhood in Latin American Cinema), ELCS6065 (The Uncanny) She also contributes the module ‘New Argentine Cinemas’ to the MA in Film Studies.
Deborah is SELCS Public Engagement Tutor and runs Café Culture, an ongoing programme of public engagement evenings where SELCS researchers discuss their work with the public in a friendly, informal environment. Find out about forthcoming events and listen to podcasts of past events here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/selcs/news-and-events/cafe-culture-series
Before joining UCL, Deborah was Lecturer in Latin American Cultural
Studies at the University of Bath.
Tel: 0207 679 3107 (internal x33107)
Office hours: Term 1 Mon 2-3pm, Thurs 2-3pm