News & Forthcoming Events
- Q+A with filmmaker Marc Silver
- Student Choice Teaching Award - nominees
- PhD Vivas
- Publication of Dr Guillermo Laín's monograph
- BBC News Magazine - Vicky Pryce and Miguel de Cervantes
- International Conference - The Future of Hispanism
- London World Film Festival 2013
- Translating 'Live' Poetry
- Gained in Translation
- Dr Deborah Martin will introduce El último verano de la boyita at ISA's 'Staging the Future: Argentine Films in Dialogue' Series
Golden Age and Renaissance Seminar
17 February 2011
Early Colonial History Symposium
Wednesday, 20th April 2011
Foster Court, Room 101.
9.30 – 10am Registration.
10 – 11.30am Session 1.
Iris Montero Sobrevilla (Cambridge), New-World nature in Old-World coating: the hummingbird in the emblematic tradition
Andrew Redden (Qeen’s University Belfast), ‘Animo hijos míos. Ved aquí los ángeles q' vienen a serviros': Angelic Sickness in Early Modern Hispanic America
Estefania Yunes Vincke (UCL), Pedro de Gante and the Catecismo en pictogramas
11.30 – 12am Coffee Break.
12 – 1.30pm Session 2.
Victoria Rios Castaño (Ulster), Juan López de Velasco's Relaciones topográficas and geográficas
Robert Goodwin (KCL/UCL), The perpetuation of sixteenth-century misrepresentations in modern historiographical readings of a relación
Alexander Samson (UCL), Informaciones de servicio as Administrative Instrument
1.30 – 2.30pm Lunch.
2.30 – 5pm Session 3.
Elizabeth Baquedano (UCL, Institute of Archaeology), Aztec Gold
Caroline Dodds Pennock (Sheffield), Was there an Indigenous Atlantic?
Barry Ife (King’s College London and Guidlhall School of Music and Drama), Where was Bernal Díaz when Cortés needed him?
Zoltan Biedermann (Birkbeck), How to Map an Alien Empire: Safavid Persia in some Iberian texts and maps
This event is free of charge and open to all. Please contact the organizer for more details firstname.lastname@example.org. Location maps as to how to get to UCL and the venue are available here: