Department of Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American Studies
News & Forthcoming Events
- Q+A with filmmaker Marc Silver
- Student Choice Teaching Award - nominees
- PhD Vivas
- Publication of Dr Guillermo Laín's monograph
- BBC News Magazine - Vicky Pryce and Miguel de Cervantes
- International Conference - The Future of Hispanism
- London World Film Festival 2013
- Translating 'Live' Poetry
- Gained in Translation
- Dr Deborah Martin will introduce El último verano de la boyita at ISA's 'Staging the Future: Argentine Films in Dialogue' Series
WELCOME TO SPANISH, PORTUGUESE & LATIN AMERICAN STUDIES!
The Department of Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American Studies at UCL, home to the first. chair of Spanish in the United Kingdom (established in 1828, the chair was held by Antonio Alcala Galiano), is situated in Bloomsbury in the heart of London. Staff in the department are specialists in Hispanic and Latin American literature, film and culture and have published scholarly books and articles on authors and film directors such as Lope de Vega, Javier Marias, Julio Medem, Cesar Vallejo and Jorge Luis Borges, and on topics such as contemporary travel writing of Latin America and ghost-writing American modernity.
The Department of Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American Studies is part of the newly-established School of European Languages, Society and Culture. We offer BA degrees in Hispanic Studies, Latin American Studies, Spanish with Management, and Spanish with Film Studies, along with a number of combined language degrees, as well as an MA in Language, Culture and History: Hispanic Studies, and doctoral training in a wide variety of fields. The Department also offers a one-month summer documentary film-making course in Cuba.