Department of Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American Studies
News & Forthcoming Events
- Prof. Stephen Hart awarded the Order of Merit
- From the Golden Age to comedy gold
- El mayordomo de la duquesa de Amalfi
- Publication of Dr Zoltán Biedermann's book
- Graduate Student, Andre Graca's Article on Portuguese Cinema
- Valentino Gianuzzi PhD and Lectureship
- Prof Stephen Hart Elected Member of the Peruvian Academy of Language
- Publication of Chinese Translation of Prof Stephen Hart's Gabriel García Márquez Biography
- Publication of Spanish translation of Prof Stephen Hart's literary biography of César Vallejo
WELCOME TO SPANISH, PORTUGUESE & LATIN AMERICAN STUDIES!
The Department of Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American Studies at UCL, home to the first. chair of Spanish in the United Kingdom (established in 1828, the chair was held by Antonio Alcala Galiano), is situated in Bloomsbury in the heart of London. Staff in the department are specialists in Hispanic and Latin American literature, film and culture and have published scholarly books and articles on authors and film directors such as Lope de Vega, Javier Marias, Julio Medem, Cesar Vallejo and Jorge Luis Borges, and on topics such as contemporary travel writing of Latin America and ghost-writing American modernity.
The Department of Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American Studies is part of the newly-established School of European Languages, Society and Culture. We offer BA degrees in Hispanic Studies, Latin American Studies, Spanish with Management, and Spanish with Film Studies, along with a number of combined language degrees, as well as an MA in Language, Culture and History: Hispanic Studies, and doctoral training in a wide variety of fields. The Department also offers a one-month summer documentary film-making course in Cuba.