Dr Helen Killaspy
Helen Killaspy is a Reader and Honorary Consultant in Rehabilitation Psychiatry. She is Principle Investigator (PI) for the Rehabilitation Effectiveness for Activities for Life (REAL) project, a national study of mental health rehabilitation services in England, funded by a National Institute for Health Research Programme Grant for Applied Research for five years from 2009.
She was joint PI (with Mike Crawford, Imperial College and Di Waller, Goldsmith's College) for the first RCT to investigate the efficacy of group art therapy for people with a diagnosis of schizophrenia. This study was funded by the DH Heath Technology Assessment for four years from 2006.
She was PI for a three year multicentre study funded by the European Commission (DEMoBinc) which successfully developed a toolkit to assess the quality of institutional care for people with longer term mental health problems in countries at different stages of deinstitutionalisation. A web based version of the toolkit (the Quality Indicator for Rehabilitative Care) was subsequently developed and is available at www.quirc.eu
In 2007 she co-founded the North London Service User Research Forum with Scott Stevens and Professor Michael King. The forum provides informed service user consultation for researchers and educates service users about all aspects of research.
From 1999 to 2004 she co-ordinated the REACT study, the first RCT in the UK to investigate clinical and cost-effectiveness of assertive community treatment for people with serious mental illnesses. The results were published in the BMJ in 2006 and in 2007 she was awarded the Association of European Psychiatrists research prize for this paper.
Development of a European Measure of Best Practice for People with Long Term Mental Illness in Institutional Care
Social and Community Psychiatry
mental health services research in relation to rehabilitation services, and therapeutic interventions for difficult to treat service user groups
Prof Michael King; Prof Paul Bebbington; Dr Caroline Wood; Prof Sonia Johnson; Prof Steve Pilling; Dr Jamie Brown; Dr Rachel Davis; Dr David Osborn
- Killaspy HT, Marston, L , Omar, R , Green, N , Harrison, N , Lean, M , Holloway, F , Craig, T , Leavey, G , King, M (2013). Service Quality and Clinical Outcomes: an Example from Mental Health Rehabilitation Services in England. British Journal of Psychiatry, 202, 28 - 34. doi:10.1192/bjp.bp.112.114421
- Lloyd-Evans B, Marwaha S, Burns T, Secker J, Latimer E, Blizard R, Killaspy H, Totman J, Tanskanen S, Johnson S (2013). The nature and correlates of paid and unpaid work among service users of London Community Mental Health Teams.. Epidemiol Psychiatr Sci, 22(2), 169 - 180. doi:10.1017/S2045796012000534
- Wolfson, P , Edwards, T , Killaspy, H (2012). A guide to good practice in the use of out-of-area placements.
- Crawford M, Killaspy HT, Barnes T, Barrett B, Byford S, Clayton K, Dinsmore J, Floyd S, Hoadley A, Johnson A, Kalaitzaki E, King M, Leurent B, Maratos A, O'Neill F, Osborn D, Patterson S, Soteriou A, Tyrer P (2012). Group art therapy as an adjunctive treatment for people with schizophrenia: multi-centre randomised trial.. BMJ: British Medical Journal, 344, - . doi:10.1136/bmj.e846
- Killaspy HT, White S, Wright C, Taylor T, Turton P, Schützwohl M, Schuster M, Cervilla J, Brangier P, Raboch J, Kališová L, Onchev G, Spiridon A, Mezzina R, Ridente P, Wiersma D, Visser E, Kiejna A, Adamowski T, Ploumpidis D, Gonidakis F, Caldas de Almeida J, Cardoso G, King M (2012). Association between service user experiences and staff rated quality of care in European facilities for people with longer term mental health problems. PLoS One, 7(6), - . doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0038070
- Killaspy HT (2012). Contemporary Rehabilitation. In Phillips P, Sandford T (Ed.), Working in Mental Health: Practice and Policy in a Changing Environment (pp. - ). : Taylor Francis Routledge.
- Mezey G, White S, Thachil A, Berg R, Kallumparam S, Nasiruddin O, Wright C, Killaspy H (2012). Development and preliminary validation of a measure of social inclusion for use in people with mental health problems: The SInQUE. International Journal of Social Psychiatry, , - . doi:10.1177/0020764012443752
- Killaspy HT, White S, Taylor T, King M (2012). Psychometric Properties of the Mental Health Recovery Star. British Journal of Psychiatry, 201(1), 65 - 70. doi:10.1192/bjp.bp.111.107946
- Killaspy H, White S, Lalvani N, Berg R, Thachil A, Kallumpuram S, Nasiruddin O, Wright C, Mezey G (2012). The impact of psychosis on social inclusion and factors associated. International Journal of Social Psychiatry, , - .
- Killaspy HT (2012). . Importance of specialisation in psychiatric services. Commentary on... How did we let it come to this?. The Psychiatrist, 36, 364 - 365. doi:10.1192/pb.bp.112.039537
- Killaspy HT (2012). Author's response. The Psychiatrist, 36, 477 - 478. doi:10.1192/pb.36.12.477a
- Johnson S, Osborn DP, Araya R, Wearn E, Paul M, Stafford M, Wellman N, Nolan F, Killaspy H, Lloyd-Evans B, Anderson E, Wood SJ (2012). Morale in the English mental health workforce: questionnaire survey.. Br J Psychiatry, 201(3), 239 - 246. doi:10.1192/bjp.bp.111.098970
- Killaspy HT, Zis P (2012). Predictors of outcomes of mental health rehabilitation services: a 5-year retrospective cohort study in inner London, UK. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, , - .
- Johnson S, Osborn D , Araya R, Wearn E, Paul M, Stafford M, Wellman N, Nolan F, Killaspy H, Lloyd-Evans B, Anderson E, Wood S (2012). Moralein the English mental health workforce: questionnaire survey. British Journal of Psychiatry, , - . doi:10.1192/bjp.bp.111.098970.
- Killaspy H, Fitch C, Meier R, Kalidindi S (2012). Guidance for commissioners of rehabilitation services for people with complex mental health needs.
- Kalidindi, S , Edwards, T , Killaspy H (2012). Community psychosis services: the role of community mental health rehabilitation teams.
- Harvey C, Killaspy H, Martino S, White S, Priebe S, Wright C, Johnson S (2011). A comparison of the implementation of Assertive Community Treatment in Melbourne, Australia and London, England. EPIDEMIOLOGY AND PSYCHIATRIC SCIENCES, 20(2), 151 - 161. doi:10.1017/S2045796011000230
- Ijaz A, Killaspy HT, Holloway F, Keogh F, Lavelle E (2011). Mental health rehabilitation services in Ireland: vision and reality.. Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine, 28(2), 69 - 75.
- Harvey C, Killaspy HT, Martino S, Johnson S (2011). Implementation of Assertive Community Treatment in Australia: model fidelity, patient characteristics and staff experiences.. Community Mental Health Journal, , - . doi:10.1007/s10597-011-9466-x
- Tanskanen S, Morant NT, Hinton M, Lloyd-Evans B, Crosby M, Killaspy H, Raine R, Pilling S, Johnson S (2011). Service user and carer experiences of seeking help for a first episode of psychosis: a UK qualitative study. BMC Psychiatry, 11, - . doi:10.1186/1471-244X-11-157
- Edwards, T , Meier, R , Killaspy, H (2011). Making the case for a rehabilitation facility.
- Hampson, M , Killaspy, H , Mynors-Wallis, L (2011). Outcome Measures Recommended for Use in Adult Psychiatry.
- Lavelle E, Ijaz A, Killaspy H (2011). Mental Health Rehabilitation and Recovery Services in Ireland: a multicentre study of current service provision, characteristics of service users and outcomes for those with and wthout access to these services.
- Caldas de Almeida, JM , Killaspy, H (2011). Long-term mental health care for people with severe mental disorders.
- Ryan, A , Davies, G , Bennet, A , Meier, R , Killaspy, H (2011). In Sight and In Mind: A Toolkit to Reduce the Use of Out of Area Mental Health Services.
- Killaspy HT (2010). Assertive community treatment teams Reply. BRIT J PSYCHIAT, 196(1), 78 - 79. doi:10.1192/bjp.196.1.78a
- Killaspy HT (2010). Killaspy, H. Assertive Community Treatment teams need to implement key components if they are to survive.. British Journal of Psychiatry, 196, 78 - 79.
- Ghosh R, Killaspy H (2010). A national survey of assertive community treatment services in England.. Journal of Mental Health, 1, 1 - 9.
- Crawford M, Killaspy H, Kalaitzaki E, Barrett B, Byford S, Patterson S, Soteriou A, O'Neill F, Clayton K, Maratos A, Barnes T, Osborn D, Johnson A, King M, Tyrer P, Waller D (2010). The MATISSE study: a randomised trial of group art therapy for people with schizophrenia. BMC Psychiatry, 10(65), - . doi:10.1186/1471-244X-10-65
- Killaspy H (2010). Assertive Community Psychiatry – worth the investment?. Irish Psychiatrist., 11(3), 136 - 138.
- Howard L, C F, Leese M, Byford S, Killaspy H, Cole L, Lawlor L, Betts J, Cutting P, McNicholas S, Johnson S (2010). The effectiveness and cost effectiveness of admissions to women’s crisis houses compared with traditional psychiatric wards – a pilot patient preference randomized controlled trial.. British Journal of Psychiatry, 197(53 (Suppl)), 32 - 40.
- Taylor T, Dorer G, Bradfield S, Killaspy H (2010). Meeting the needs of women in mental health rehabilitation services. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 73(10), 477 - 480. doi:10.4276/030802210X12865330218348
- Boardman J, Currie A, Killaspy H, Mezey G (2010). Social Inclusion and Mental Health.
- Taylor T, Killaspy H, Wright C, Turton P, White S, Kallert T, Schuster M, Cervilla J, Brangier P, Raboch J, Kalisova L, Onchev G, Dimitrov H, Mezzina R, Wolf K, Wiersma D, Visser E, Kiejna A, Piotrowski P, Ploumpidis D, Gonidakis F, Caldas de Almeida J, Cardoso G, King M (2009). A systematic review of the international published literature relating to quality of institutional care for people with longer term mental health problems.. BMC Psychiatry, 9, 55 - .
- McCrone P, Killaspy H, Bebbington P, Johnson S, Nolan F, Pilling S, King M (2009). The REACT Study: cost effectiveness analysis of Assertive Community Treatment in North London. Psychiatric Services, 60, 908 - 913.
- Killaspy H, King M, Wright C, White S, McCrone P, Kallert T, Cervilla J, Raboch J, Onchev G, Mezzina R, Kiejna A, Ploumpidis D, Caldas de Almeida J (2009). Study protocol for the development of a European measure of best practice for people with long term mental health problems in institutional care (DEMoBinc). BMC Psychiatry, 9, - . doi:10.1186/1471-244X-9-36
- Killaspy H, Rambarran D, Bledin K (2009). Mental health needs of clients of rehabilitation services: a survey in one Trust. Journal of Mental Health, 17, 207 - 218.
- Killaspy H, Rambarran D, Harden C, McClinton K, Caren G, Fearon D (2009). A comparison of service users placed out of their local area and local rehabilitation service users. Journal of Mental Health, 18(2), 111 - 120. doi:10.1080/09638230701879235
- Killaspy H, Kingett S, Bebbington P, Blizard R, Johnson SN, F P, S and King M (2009). Randomised evaluation of assertive community treatment: 3 year outcomes. The British Journal of Psychiatry, 195, 81 - 82.
- Killaspy H, Johnson S, Pierce B, Bebbington P, Pilling S, Nolan F, King M (2009). Successful engagement: a mixed methods study of the approaches of assertive community treatment and community mental health teams in the REACT trial. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 44, 532 - 540.
- Mountain D, Killaspy HH, F (2009). Mental Health Rehabilitation Services in the UK in 2007.. Psychiatric Bulletin, 33, 215 - 218. doi:10.1192/pb.bp.107.018697
- Khalifeh H, Murgatroyd C, Freeman M, Johnson S, Killaspy H (2009). Home treatment as an alternative to hospital admission for mothers in a mental health crisis: a qualitative study.. Psychiatric Services, 60, 634 - 639.
- Howard L, Leese M, Byford S, Killaspy H, Cole L, Lawlor C, Johnson S (2009). Methodological challenges in evaluating the effectiveness of women's crisis houses compared with psychiatric wards: findings from a pilot patient preference RCT.. Journal of nervous and mental disease, 197(10), 722 - 727.
- King M, Semlyen J, See-Tai S, Killaspy H, Osborn D, Popelyuk D, Nazareth I (2008). A systematic review of mental disorder, suicide, and deliberate self harm in lesbian, gay and bisexual people. BMC Psychiatry, 8, 70 - . doi:10.1186/1471-244X-8-70
- Killaspy H, Johnson S, King M, Bebbington PE (2008). Developing mental health services in response to research evidence.. Epidemiologia e Psichiatria Sociale, 17, 47 - 56.
- King M, Semylen J, Killaspy H, Nazareth I, Osborn D (2007). A systematic review of research on counselling and psychotherapy for lesbian, gay, bisexual & transgender people.
- Killaspy H (2007). Assertive community treatment in psychiatry. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 335, 311 - 312.
- Killaspy H (2007). Why do psychiatrists have difficulty disengaging with the out-patient clinic?. Advances in Psychiatric Treatment, 13, 435 - 437.
- Killaspy H, Fuchkan N, McKenzie K, King M, Nazareth I (2007). Evaluation of Community Engagement in Black and Minority Ethnic Mental Health. Evaluation of eleven community engagement mental health pilot projects. Final report to the NHS Forensic Mental Health R&D Programme..
- Killaspy HT (2006). From the asylum to community care: learning from experience. British Medical Bulletin, 79-80(1), 245 - 258. doi:10.1093/bmb/ldl017
- Killaspy H (2006). Psychiatric outpatient clinics: origins and future. Advances in Psychiatric Treatment, 12, 309 - 319.
- Killaspy HT, Bebbington PE, Blizard R, Johnson S, Nolan F, Pilling S, King M (2006). The REACT study: randomised evaluation of assertive community treatment in north London. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 332(7545), 815 - 820. doi:10.1136/bmj.38773.518322.7C
- Killaspy HT, Harden C, Holloway F, King M (2005). What do mental health rehabilitation services do and what are they for? A national survey in England.. Journal of Mental Health, 14(2), 157 - 166. doi:10.1080/09638230500060144
- Krupnik YP, S K, H D, J (2005). A study of family contact with clients and staff of community mental health teams. Psychiatric Bulletin, 29, 174 - 176. doi:10.1192/pb.29.5.174
- Killaspy H, Ritchie CW, Greer E, Robertson M (2004). Treating the homeless mentally ill: does a designated inpatient facility improve outcome?. Journal of Mental Health, 13(6), 593 - 599.
- Killaspy H, Johnson S, Livingston G, Hassiotis A, Robertson M (2003). Women in academic psychiatry in the United Kingdom. Psychiatric Bulletin, 27(9), 323 - 326. doi:10.1192/pb.27.9.323
- Killaspy H, Banerjee S, King M, Lloyd M (2000). Prospective controlled study of psychiatric out-patient non-attendance. Characteristics and outcome. The British Journal of Psychiatry, 176, 160 - 165.
- Killaspy HD, J M, S J, S (2000). Drayton Park, an alternative to hospital admission for women in acute mental health crisis. Psychiatric Bulletin, 24, 101 - 104.
- Killaspy H, Banerjee S, King M, Lloyd M (1999). Non-attendance at psychiatric outpatient clinics: communication and implications for primary care. British Journal of General Practice, 49(448), 880 - 883.
- Killaspy H, Gledhill J, Banerjee S (1998). Satisfaction of attenders and non-attenders with their treatment at psychiatric outpatient clinics.. Psychiatric Bulletin, 22, 612 - 615.
- Payne James J, Misiewicz M, Killaspy H, Silk D (1991). Reversal of benzodiazepine induced amnesia after short diagnostic procedures by flumazenil (Anexate).. European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 3, 91 - 94.
- Killaspy H, Rosen A (). Case management and assertive community treatment. In Thornicroft G, Szmukler G, Mueser KT, Drake RE (Ed.), Oxford Textbook of Community Mental Health (pp. - ). : Oxford University Press.
- Wright , C T, P W, S K, H T, T O, G F, A R, J K, L S, M S, M T, E A, X M, R R, P W, D C-N, A K, A P, P CDA, J C, G C, J B, P K, M (). Promoting recovery in long term mental health institutional care: an international Delphi study of stakeholder views.. Psychiatric Services, 61(3), 293 - 299.
- KILLASPY H, White S, Wright C, Taylor T, Turton P, Schutzwohl M, Schuster M, Cervilla J, Brangier P, Raboch J, Kalisova L, Onchev G, Spiridon A, Mezzina R, Ridente P, Wiersma D, Visser E, Kiejna A, Adamowski T, Ploumpidis D, Gonakidis F, Caldas de Almeida JM, Cardoso G, King M (). The Development of the Quality Indicator for Rehabilitative Care (QuIRC): a Measure of Best Practice for Facilities for People with Longer Term Mental Health Problems. BMC Psychiatry, 11, 35 - .
- Turton P, Wright C, Killaspy H (). Recovery and the medical model in institutional care. Psychiatric Services, 61, 418 - 419.
- Killaspy H, Meier R (). A fair deal for mental health rehabilitation services.. The Psychiatrist, 34(7), 265 - 267.