Dr Martin Blanchard
My research has involved the major psychiatric illnesses of old age: depression and dementia. I have studied the epidemiology of depression and its management in primary care. Recently we have completed an intervention study of cognitive behavior therapy for depressed older people in primary care, comparing this specialist therapy with a talking control. We have also investigated the role of personality characteristics in deliberate self-harm among older people, making the case that, although clearly depression is important, personality characteristics may also be important factors in later life as they are in younger people. More recent funding has been gained to explore the psychological consequences of serious crime among older people and to develop a possible psychological intervention package. I am involved in a study of the epidemiology of dementia among older African Caribbean people. We are exploring the prevalence of subtypes of dementia in this group and also possible barriers preventing them from accessing formal care. I am also involved in trying to improve the care given to older people with severe dementia. Many people with severe dementia are admitted acutely to general hospitals with conditions that could theoretically be managed within the community, and, in hospital they may not receive the same quality of care given to people without dementia. Many may die on the acute wards and many others may have repeated acute admissions to hospital before eventually dying there. We have a grant to explore the care needs of this particular group of patients, the needs of their carers, and the experiences and demands placed upon professionals. We are trying to develop better ways of meeting the end of life needs of this group including an exploration of possible ways for carers and professionals to agree and plan more appropriate future care.
End of life care in dementia: The implementation of an intervention
Old age psychiatry
I teach medical undergraduates as part of my clinical firm and on the MBBS Neurosciences teaching. I teach trainee psychiatrists in my role as clinical supervisor and on the MRCPsych course. I am currently MRCPsych course organiser at the Royal Free campus.
Dr Louise Jones; Prof Michael King; Dr Liz Sampson; Dr Ingela Thune-Boyle
Mrs Riitta Kukkastenvehmas; Dr Adrian Tookman
- Watkin L, Blanchard MR, Tookman A, Sampson EL (2012). Prospective cohort study of adverse events in older people admitted to the acute general hospital: risk factors and the impact of dementia.. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry, 27(1), 76 - 82. doi:10.1002/gps.2693
- Scott S, Jones L, Blanchard MR, Sampson EL (2011). Study protocol: the behaviour and pain in dementia study (BePAID).. BMC Geriatr, 11, 61 - . doi:10.1186/1471-2318-11-61
- Adelman S, Blanchard M, Rait G, Leavey G, Livingston G (2011). Prevalence of dementia in African-Caribbean compared with UK-born White older people: two-stage cross-sectional study.. Br J Psychiatry, 199(2), 119 - 125. doi:10.1192/bjp.bp.110.086405
- Sampson EL, Thuné-Boyle ICV, Kukkastenvehmas R, King M, Leurent B, Tookman A, Blanchard MR (2011). Palliative assessment and advance care planning in severe dementia: an exploratory randomised controlled trial of a complex intervention. Palliative Medicine, 25(3), 197 - 209.
- Cooper C, Blanchard M, Selwood A, Livingston G (2010). Antidementia drugs: prescription by level of cognitive impairment or by socio-economic group?. Aging and Mental Health, 14(1), 85 - 89.
- Thune-Boyle ICV, Sampson EL, Jones L, King M, Lee DR, Blanchard MR (2010). Challenges to improving end of life care of people with advanced dementia in the UK.. Dementia: The International Journal of Social Research and Practice, 9, 259 - 284.
- Goodman C, Evans C, Wilcock J, Froggatt K, Sampson EL, Drennan V, Blanchard M, Bissett M, Iliffe S (2010). End of life care for community dwelling older people with dementia: an integrated review. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 25(4), 329 - 337.
- Collins N, Blanchard MR, Tookman A, Sampson EL (2010). Detection of delirium in the acute hospital. Age and Ageing, 39(1), 131 - 135.
- Cooper C, Blanchard M, Selwood A, Walker Z, Livingston G (2010). Family carers' distress and abusive behaviour: longitudinal study.. Br J Psychiatry, 196(6), 480 - 485. doi:10.1192/bjp.bp.109.071811
- Selwood A, Cooper C, Owens C, Blanchard M, Livingston G (2009). What would help me stop abusing? the family carer's perspective. International Psychogeriatrics, 21(2), 309 - 313. doi:10.1017/S104161020800834X
- Sampson EL, Blanchard MR, Jones L, Tookman A, King M (2009). Dementia in the acute hospital: prospective cohort study of prevalence and mortality. British Journal of Psychiatry, 195(1), 61 - 66.
- Cooper C, Selwood A, Blanchard M, Walker Z, Livingston G (2009). The CARD study – abuse of people with dementia by family carers. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 22(338), 583 - 586.
- BLANCHARD M (2009). Clinical effectiveness of individual cognitive behavioral therapy for depressed older people in primary care: a randomized controlled trial.. Arch Gen Psychiatry, 66(12), 1332 - 1340.
- Adelman S, Blanchard M, Livingston G (2009). A systematic review of the prevalence and covariates of dementia or relative cognitive impairment in the older African-Caribbean population in Britain.. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry, 24(7), 657 - 665. doi:10.1002/gps.2186
- Cooper C, Maxmin K, Selwood A, Blanchard M, Livingston G (2009). The sensitivity and specificity of the Modified Conflict Tactics Scale for detecting clinically significant elder abuse. International Psychogeriatrics, 21(4), 774 - 778. doi:10.1017/S1041610209009387
- BLANCHARD M, Serfaty M, Duckett S, Flatley M (2009). Adapting services for a changing society: a reintegrative model for old age psychiatry (based on a model proposed by Knight and Emanuel, 2007).. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry, 24(2), 202 - 206.
- Sampson E, Thuné-Boyle I, Kukkastenvehmas R, Jones L, Tookman A, King M, Blanchard M (2008). Palliative care in advanced dementia:a mixed methods approach for the development of a complex intervention. BMC Palliative Care, 7, - .
- Sampson EL, Dover D, Mandell M, Pant A, Blanchard MR (2007). Personal identification (PIN) numbers: a new cause of financial exclusion in older people.. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 22(5), 492 - 493. doi:10.1002/gps.1708
- Sampson EL, Raven PR, Ndhlovu PN, Vallance A, Garlick N, Watts J, Blanchard MR, Bruce A, Blizard R, Ritchie CW (2007). A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of donepezil hydrochloride (Aricept) for reducing the incidence of postoperative delirium after elective total hip replacement.. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 22(4), 343 - 349. doi:10.1002/gps.1679
- Wilcock J, Goodman C, Froggatt K, Bissett M, Samson E, Blanchard M, Drennan V, Iliffe S (2007). Review of the evidence for palliative care interventions for community dwelling older people with dementia.
- Sampson EL, Gould V, Lee D, Blanchard MR (2006). Differences in care received by patients with and without dementia who died during acute hospital admission: a retrospective case note study. Age and Ageing, 35(2), 187 - 189. doi:10.1093/ageing/afj025
- Shah S, Blanchard M, Tookman A, Jones L, Blizard R, King M (2006). Estimating needs in life threatening illness: a feasibility study to assess the views of patients and doctors.. Palliative Medicine, 20(3), 205 - 210.
- Ruths F, Tobiansky R, Blanchard M (2005). Deliberate self-harm (DSH) among older people: a retrospective study in Barnet, North London.. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 20, 106 - 112.
- Catt S, Blanchard M, Addington-Hall J, Zis M, Blizard RAK, M (2005). The development of a questionnaire to assess the attitudes of older people to end-of-life issues (AEOLI). Palliative Medicine, (19), 397 - 401.
- King M, Nazroo J, Weich S, McKenzie K, Bhui K, Karlsen S, Stansfeld S, Tyrer P, Blanchard M, Lloyd K, McManus S, Sproston K, Erens B (2005). Psychotic symptoms in the general population of England – a comparison of ethnic groups (The EMPIRIC study). Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 40(5), 375 - 381.
- Sampson EL, Ritchie CW, Lai R, Raven PW, Blanchard MR (2005). A systematic review of the scientific evidence for the efficacy of a palliative care approach in advanced dementia. International Psychogeriatrics, 17(1), 31 - 40. doi:10.1017/S1041610205001018
- Catt S, Blanchard M, Addington-Hall J, Zis M, Blizard RAK, M (2005). Older adults' attitudes to death, palliative treatment and hospice care. Palliative Medicine, 19, 402 - 410.
- Minardi HA, Blanchard M (2004). Older people with depression: pilot study. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 46(1), 23 - 32.
- Weich S, Nazroo J, Sproston K, McManus S, Blanchard M, Erens B, Karlsen S, King M, Lloyd K, Stansfeld S, Tyrer P (2004). Common disorders and ethnicity in England: The EMPIRIC study. Psychological Medicine, 34(8), 1543 - 1551.
- Warner JP, Wright L, Blanchard M, King M (2003). The psychological health and quality of life of older lesbians and gay men: a snowball sampling pilot survey. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 18(8), 754 - 755.
- Davenhill R, Balfour A, Rustin M, Blanchard M, Tress K (2003). Looking into later life: Psychodynamic observation and old age. Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy, 17(3), 253 - 266.
- Karlsen S, Blanchard M (2002). Physical health, caring and mental health. In Sproston K, Nazroo J (Ed.), Ethnic Minority Psychiatric Illness Rates in the Community (EMPIRIC) (pp. - ). : TSO.
- Iliffe S, Lenihan P, Wallace P, Drennan V, Blanchard M, Harris A (2002). Applying community-oriented primary care methods in British general practice: a case study. British Journal of General Practice, 52(481), 646 - 651.
- Weich S, Blanchard M, Prince M, Burton E, Erens B, Sproston K (2002). Mental health and the built environment: cross-sectional survey of individual and contextual risk factors for depression. The British Journal of Psychiatry, 180:, 428 - 433.
- Blanchard MR (2001). "Senility". In Blakemore C, Jennett S (Ed.), The Oxford Companion to the Body (pp. - ). : .
- Weich S, Burton E, Blanchard M, Prince M, Sproston K, Erens B (2001). Measuring the built environment: validity of a site survey instrument for use in urban settings. Health and Place, 7(4), 283 - 292.
- Lenihan P, Iliffe S, Drennan V, Wallace P, Harris A, Blanchard M (2000). Designing services for older people: lessons for practitioners. Community Practitioner, 73(8), 716 - 718.
- Blanchard M, Graham N (2000). Old age depression. In Henn F, Sartorius N, Helmchen H, Lauter H (Ed.), Contemporary Psychiatry (pp. 139 - 153). : Springer-Verlag.
- Blanchard MR, Waterreus A, Mann AH (1999). Can a brief intervention have a longer-term benefit? The case of the research nurse and depressed older people in the community. INT J GERIATR PSYCH, 14(9), 733 - 738.
- (1998). Treatment of patients who lack capacity. Where do we go from here?. Psychiatric Bulletin, 22(7), 402 - 404.
- Cooper C, Selwood A, Blanchard M, Walker Z, Blizard R, Livingston G (). The determinants of family carer’s abusive behaviour to people with dementia: results of the CARD study. Journal of Affective disorders, , - .
- Adelman S, Blanchard M, Livingston G (). A systematic review of the prevalence and covariates of dementia and cognitive impairment in the older, British, African-Caribbean population. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, , - .
- Cooper C, Selwood A, Blanchard M, Livingston G (). Abusive behaviour experienced by family carers from people with dementia: the CARD (Caring for Relatives with Dementia) study. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, , - .