Dr Joe Rosenthal
use of chaperones
After an initial degree in psychology, Joe qualified in medicine in 1986. Following postgraduate training in general practice he joined what was then Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine as Lecturer in General Practice in 1990, becoming Senior Lecturer in 1995. He is a half time GP Principal and Honorary Consultant in Primary Care in Haringey Teaching PCT. His major educational interests are in undergraduate community based teaching and vocational training for general practice. He is Academic Lead for Primary Care Education in the Department, and Sub-Dean for Community Based Teaching in the Medical School. He is Programme Director of the Royal Free GP Specialty Training Programme and supervises the Department?s GP Clinical Fellowship programmes. He is lead editor of Churchill Livingstone?s Registrars Companion for General Practice. His research interests include educational evaluation, students' attitudes, use of chaperones in general practice, and communication between primary and secondary care.
- Calvert B, Williams H, Rosenthal J (2014). GP careers: changing student perspectives.. Br J Gen Pract, 64(621), 201 - 202. doi:10.3399/bjgp14X679499
- Shallcross LJ, Petersen I, Rosenthal J, Johnson AM, Freemantle N, Hayward AC (2013). Use of primary care data for detecting impetigo trends, United kingdom, 1995-2010.. Emerg Infect Dis, 19(10), 1646 - 1648. doi:10.3201/eid1910.130433
- Howman M, Walters K, Rosenthal J, Good M, Buszewicz M (2012). Teaching about medically unexplained symptoms at medical schools in the United Kingdom.. Med Teach, 34(4), 327 - 329. doi:10.3109/0142159X.2012.660219
- Park S, Rosenthal J, Harding A (2012). Educational Research in Primary Care: Addressing the challenges through creation of a Special Interest Group and a Doctoral Student Network. Primary Health Care Research and Development, 13, 98 - 100.
- Rosenthal J, McKinley B, Pearson D (2011). Promoting education within the SAPC: introducing the HoTs Group.. Prim Health Care Res Dev, 12(3), 276 - . doi:10.1017/S1463423611000223
- Rosenthal J, Chana N (2011). Future-proofing primary health care: GP recruitment and retention in the new NHS. BRITISH JOURNAL OF GENERAL PRACTICE, 61(588), 430 - 431. doi:10.3399/bjgp11X582985
- Rosenthal J, Stephenson A (2010). General Practice: The Future Teaching Environment A report on undergraduate primary care education in London. BRITISH JOURNAL OF GENERAL PRACTICE, 60(571), 144 - 144. doi:10.3399/bjgp10X483391
- Panesar SS, Rao C, Vecht JA, Mirza SB, Netuveli G, Morris R, Rosenthal J, Darzi A, Athanasiou T (2009). Development of the Veritas plot and its application in cardiac surgery: an evidence-synthesis graphic tool for the clinician to assess multiple meta-analyses reporting on a common outcome. Canadian Journal of Surgery, 52(5), E137 - 145.
- Panesar SS, Rao C, Vecht JA, Mirza SB, Netuveli G, Morris R, Rosenthal J, Darzi A, Athanasiou T (2009). Development of the Veritas plot and its application in cardiac surgery: an evidence-synthesis graphic tool for the clinician to assess multiple meta-analyses reporting on a common outcome. , 52(5), E137 - E145.
- Jethwa S, Bryant P, Singh S, Jones M, Berlin A, Rosenthal J (2009). Your life in their pocket: students' behaviors regarding confidential patient information. Family Medicine, 41(5), 327 - 331.
- Jones M, Singh S, Rosenthal J (2009). Student feedback: a herald of a doctors poor performance?.
- Rosenthal J, Singh S (2009). Obituary for Cecil Helman. BMJ, 339, b2904 - . doi:10.1136/bmj.b2904
- Brignell CM, Rosenthal J, Curran HV (2007). Pharmacological manipulations of arousal and memory for emotional material: effects of a single dose of methylphenidate or lorazepam. Journal of Psychopharmacology, 21(7), 673 - 683. doi:10.1177/0269881107077351
- Walters K, Raven PW, Rosenthal J, Russell J, Humphrey C, Buszewicz M (2007). Teaching undergraduate psychiatry in primary care: the impact on student learning and attitudes. Medical Education, 41(1), 100 - 108. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2929.2006.02653.x
- Bryant PA, Jethwa S, Rosenthal J, Singh S (2007). Your life in their pocket: what do medical students do with confidential patient information?.
- Brignell CM, Rosenthal J, Curran HV (2007). Pharmacological manipulations of arousal and memory for emotional material: effects of a single dose of methylphenidate or lorazepam. J PSYCHOPHARMACOL, 21(7), 673 - 683. doi:10.1177/0269881107077351
- Rymer J, Durbaba S, Rosenthal J, Jones RH (2007). Use of chaperones by obstetricians and gynaecologists: a cross-sectional survey. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 27(1), 8 - 11.
- Rai G, Rosenthal J, Morris J, Iliffe S (2006). Shared Care of Older People.
- Rosenthal J, Rymer J (2005). The role of gynaecolological teaching associates at two London Medical Schools. London Calling, 15(2), 23 - 24.
- Rosenthal J, Rymer J, Jones R, Haldane S, Cohen S, Bartholomew J (2005). Chaperones for intimate examinations: cross sectional survey of attitudes and practices of general practitioners.. BMJ, 330(7485), 234 - 235. doi:10.1136/bmj.38315.646053.F7
- Rosenthal J, Rymer J, Jones R, Haldane S, Cohen S, Bartholomew J (2004). Chaperones for intimate examinations: cross sectional survey of attitudes and practices of general practitioners. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 330(7485), 234 - 235.
- Singh S, Rosenthal J, Naish J (2003). The range of clinical conditions in general practice. In Rosenthal J, Naish J, Neighbour R, Singh S (Ed.), The Successful GP Companion, Preparing, Practising and Perfecting (pp. 71 - 87). : Churchill-Livingstone.
- Rosenthal J, Naish J, Singh S, Neighbour R (2003). The Successful GP Registrar's Companion.
- Singh S, Rosenthal J (2001). Developing primary health care in Brazil: an evaluation of a Teaching the teacher's course.. Education for Primary Care, 12(4), 442 - 444.
- Rosenthal J, Singh S (1999). Communication: not just doctors talking to patients. Student BMJ, 7(9138), 319 - 320.
- Gill P, Singh S, Rosenthal J (1999). The benefits of contract learning. Education for General Practice, 10, 219 - 221.
- Silvester S, Rosenthal J, Modell M (1999). Keeping on their toes: Inner London GPs' attitudes to CME. Education for General Practice, 10, 133 - 139.
- Rosenthal J, Lee D (1999). Dry skin: diagnosis and management in older people. Geriatric Medicine, 25, 78 - .
- Rosenthal J (1998). Commentary on teaching medical students about children with developmental desabilities. Ambulatory Child Health, 4, 316 - 316.
- Buszewicz M, Rosenthal J, Raven P, Gill D (1998). Teaching psychiatry in general practice.
- Rosenthal J, Ogden J (1998). Changes in Medical education: the beliefs of medical students. Medical Education, 32(2), 127 - 132.
- Rosenthal J, Iliffe S (1998). The London Academic Training Scheme: learning research methods through teaching. Family Practice, 15(Sup1), S5 - S9.
- Rosenthal J (1998). Commentary on advantages and disadvantages of treatment of acute cough with antibiotics. Evidence-based Healthcare, 2, 79 - 79.
- Rosenthal J (1998). Nocturnal enuresis: drug and non drug treatment. Prescriber, 9(10), 33 - 39.
- Singh S, Rosenthal J (1998). Undergraduate medical education in Brazil: opportunities not to be missed. Student BMJ, 6, 427 - 427.
- Douglas HR, Humphrey C, Lloyd M, Prescott K, Haines A, Rosenthal J, Watt I (1997). Promoting clinical effective practice. Attitudes of fundholding general practitioners to the role of commissioning. Journal of Management in Medicine, 11(1), 26 - 34.
- Prescott K, Lloyd M, Douglas HR, Haines A, Humphrey C, Rosenthal J, Watt I (1997). Promoting clinically effective practice: general practitioners' awareness of sources of research evidence. Family Practice, 14(4), 320 - 323.
- Rosenthal J, Naish J, Lloyd M (1994). The Trainee's Companion to General Practice.
- Rosenthal J, Singh S (1994). Community-bespoke doctoring - Letter. The Lancet, 343, 613 - 614.
- Rosenthal J, Singh S (1994). Overseas Doctor Training Scheme. Plight of refugee doctors. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 309(6950), 339 - 339.
- Lloyd M, Rosenthal J (1992). The contribution of general practice to medical education: students' expectations and their fulfilment. Medical Education, 22, 488 - 496.