Dr Melvyn Jones
Melvyn Jones is a General Practitioner and partner in a practice in Hertfordshire. He is an honorary NHS Consultant with NHS Hertforshire. He has published in the fields of medical education, cardiovascular observational research and health services research. His current research interests are exploring chest pain among people with diabetes and developing educational research activities. He has been the generalist GP on the NICE COPD 2010 update, COPD COF/ TEG member, advisor to NICE QOF on peripheral vascular disease and is currently a member of the NIHR HTA primary care and disease prevention panel.
BEME The role of intercalated BScs in medical education
I have two main roles in the undergraduate educational field. I have been involved in the UCL intercalated BSc in primary health care for over 14 years, leading it for the first 7 years. This course is the first internationally and recruits students from across the UK and has produced over 100 graduates, who are GPs and hospital doctors (including MB PhD transfers, and doctoral students). The course has been evaluated, and a publication about the course focusing on student research projects in the community has been published. I led on a BEME systematic review on the role of intercalated iBScs in medical education which was published in 2013.
My other role is Yr 4 UCL lead for community based teaching, with 380 students placed in 3 courses including medicine in the community component of the general medicine firm, primary care involvement in the clinical introductory course and care of the older person courses (now in year 5) all based in local general practices. My role is overseeing these programmes. I am also actively involved in the firm management through the steering groups (MMG). I led on the revision of these courses for the UCL 2012 MB BS curriculum review.
In the postgraduate field I am a GP trainer in my practice and will be working with the academic GP trainees, incuding the new Enfield CCG sponsored attachment to UCL.
Dr Patrick Hutt; Dr Sophie Eastwood
- De Coster DA, Jones MM, Thakrar N (2013). Beclometasone for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The Cochrane Library, 10(9 OCT 2013), - . doi:10.1002/14651858.CD009769.pub2
- Jones M, Hutt P, Eastwood S, Singh S (2013). Impact of an intercalated BSc on medical student performance and careers: A BEME systematic review: BEME Guide No. 28. Medical Teacher, , e1 - e18. doi:10.3109/0142159X.2013.806983
- Amuzie R, Jones MM (2012). A systematic review: the role of spirituality in reducing depression in people living with HIV/AIDS. British Journal of General Practice, 62(595), 68 - 68. doi:10.3399/bjgp12X625049
- Jones MM (2012). Apixaban reduced stroke or systemic embolism more than warfarin in AF regardless of renal function. ANNALS OF INTERNAL MEDICINE, 157(12), - .
- Jones MM (2012). ACP Journal Club. Apixaban reduced stroke or systemic embolism more than warfarin in AF regardless of renal function.. Ann Intern Med, 157(12), JC6 - JC7. doi:10.7326/0003-4819-157-12-201212180-02007
- Howman M, Jones MM (2011). Does undertaking an intercalated BSc influence first clinical year exam results at a London medical school?. BMC Medical Education, 11, - . doi:10.1186/1472-6920-11-6
- Gruffydd- Jones K, Jones MM (2011). NICE Guidelines for Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Implications for primary care. British Journal of General Practice, 61(583), 91 - 92. doi:10.3399/bjgp11X556182
- Jones MM, Topic expert group (TEG) http://publications.nice.org.uk/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-quality-standard-qs10/the-topic-expert-group-and-nice-project-team (2011). NICE Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) (QS10).
- Zaman MJ, Jones M (2010). Strategies to screen and reduce vascular risk - putting statins in the tap water is not the answer. Heart, 96(3), 177 - 178. doi:10.1136/hrt.2009.183764
- Jones M, Somerville C, Feder G, Foster G (2010). Patients’ descriptions of angina symptoms: a qualitative study of patients in primary care. British Journal of General Practice, 60(579), 735 - 741. doi:10.3399/bjgp10X532378
- Jones MM (2010). Change in UK government must not mean wide spread removal of GPs. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 103, 264 - 265. doi:10.1258/jrsm.2010.100187
- O'Reilly J, Jones MM, Lovibond K, Parnham J, Rudolf M (2010). Management of Stable Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in primary and secondary care: summary of updated NICE guidance 2010. BMJ, 340, c3134 - . doi:10.1136/bmj.c3134
- informatics S (2010). NHS clinical knowledge summary: scarlet fever.
- JONES M (2010). Doctors and welfare reform And another thing. BMJ, , - . doi:10.1136/bmj.c6655
- Jones MM, Zaman J (2010). Authors' reply: Boyle R- Strategies for assessing cardiovascular risk in asymptomatic populations. Heart, 96, 901 - . doi:10.1136/hrt.2010.196121
- Jones M (2010). US health care does not deliver better quality diabetes care (in this study) [Response]. Family Practice, , - .
- Jones M, Singh S, Rosenthal J (2009). Student feedback: a herald of a doctors poor performance?.
- Jones M, Mountain D (2009). Patient information sheets in emergency care. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 338, b35 - . doi:10.1136/bmj.b35
- Jethwa S, Bryant P, Singh S, Jones M, Berlin A, Rosenthal J (2009). Your life in their pocket: students' behaviors regarding confidential patient information. Family Medicine, 41(5), 327 - 331.
- Jones M, Hutt P, Eastwood S, Singh S (2009). ..that was the year I that I learnt to think and to question and to find out things for myself]...a qualitative review of the role of intercalated BScs in medical education.
- Howman M, Jones M (2009). Does undertaking a BSc improve subsequent results at a London Medical School?.
- Howman M, Jones M (2009). Does undertaking a BSc improve subsequent results at a London Medical School?.
- Jones M, Brittain D (2009). Music in the waiting room. British Journal of General Practice, 59(565), 613 - 614. doi:10.3399/bjgp09X453864
- Jones M, Singh S (2008). Systematic review of the role of intercalated BScs in medical education.
- Jones M (2008). Methods to examine the prognosis of people with angina in primary care.
- Jones M, Singh S, Meakin R (2008). Undergraduate research in primary care: is it sustainable?. Primary Health Care Research and Development, 9(1), 85 - 95. doi:10.1017/S1463423607000461
- Bryant P, Berlin A, Coppola W, Jones M (2008). A comparison of clinical content between structured specialty teaching sessions and teaching in routine general practice consultations.. Education for Primary Care, 19(1), 43 - 53.
- Heritage J, Jones M (2008). A study of young peoples' attitudes to opportunistic Chlamydia testing in UK general practice. Reproductive Health, 5, 11 - . doi:10.1186/1742-4755-5-11
- Singh S, Jones M, Meakin R (2007). Can medical students undertake original research projects in primary care?.
- Junghans C, Jones M (2007). Consent bias in research: how to avoid it. Heart, 93(9), 1024 - 1025. doi:10.1136/hrt.2007.120113
- Mannan R, Murphy J, Jones M (2006). Is primary care ready to embrace e-health? A qualitative study of staff in a London primary care trust. Informatics in Primary Care, 14(2), 121 - 131.
- Jones M, Rait G, Falconer J, Feder G (2006). Systematic review: prognosis of angina in primary care. Family Practice, 23(5), 520 - 528. doi:10.1093/fampra/cml038
- Junghans C, Feder GS, Hemingway H, Timmis AD, Jones MM (2005). Recruiting patients to medical research: double blind randomised trial of "opt-in" versus "opt-out" strategies. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 331(7522), 940 - 944. doi:10.1136/bmj.38583.625613.AE
- O'Doherty C, Jones M (2005). Domestic violence in the Bengali community. British Journal of General Practice, 55(518), 715 - 716.
- Jones M (2005). What's the point?. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 330(7481), 22 - . doi:10.1136/bmj.330.7481.22
- Mannan R, Jones M (2005). What's the evidence that NICE guidance has been implemented? Maybe NICE needs to do more to ensure implementation of guidelines. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 330(7499), 1085 - . doi:10.1136/bmj.330.7499.1085
- Hooper C, Meakin R, Jones M (2005). Where students go when they are ill: how medical students access health care. Medical Education, 39(6), 588 - 593. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2929.2005.02175.x
- Jones M, Singh S, Lloyd M (2005). "It isn't just consultants that need a BSc": student experiences of an Intercalated BSc in primary health care. Medical Teacher, 27(2), 164 - 168. doi:10.1080/01421590400019567
- White S, Jones M (2004). Impact of Advanced Access. British Journal of General Practice, 54(505), 622 - 622.
- Azad S, Singh S, Jones M (2004). What is the patient care pathway before and after a consultation at the NHS Soho walk in centre?. Epidemiology and Community Health, 58(SII), A18 - A18.
- Ring F, Jones M (2004). NHS Direct usage in a GP population of children under 5: Is NHS being used by people with the greatest health need?. British Journal of General Practice, 54(500), 211 - 213.
- Jones M, Ramsay J, Crook A, Hemingway H, Feder G (2004). Influence of practices' ethnicity and deprivation access to angiography: an ecological study. British Journal of General Practice, 54(503), 423 - 428.
- Jones M (2004). A memorable patient: Caring for those who refuse help. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 328(7455), 1546 - 1546.
- Ali B, Jones M (2003). Do medical students want to become GPs?. British Journal of General Practice, 53(3), 241 - 241.
- Ali B, Jones M (2002). Using electronic mail as a method of surveying medical students' opinions and attitudes. Medical Education, 36(4), 392 - . doi:10.1046/j.1365-2923.2002.1178f.x
- Allen R, Jones M (2002). What are general practices providing in terms of aid and access for the visually impaired?. British Journal of General Practice, 52(474), 58 - 59.
- Jones M, Singh S, Lloyd M (2002). "It's not just consultants that need a BSc" - experiences of the students completing a BSc in Primary Health Care.
- Jones M (2002). Walk in centres: lessons from Canada. National evaluation of walk in centres conference.
- Jones M, Lloyd M, Meakin R (2001). An intercalated BSc in Primary Health Care - an outline of a new course. Medical Teacher, 23(1), 95 - 97. doi:10.1080/01421590150214663
- Jones M (2000). Walk-in primary medical care centres: lessons from Canada. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 321(7266), 928 - 931. doi:10.1136/bmj.321.7266.928
- Madge S, Jones M, Mocroft A, Wells H, Johnson MA (1999). Do people attending a same day testing clinic discuss their need for a HIV test with their GP?. British Journal of General Practice, 49(447), 813 - 815.
- Jones MM, Fraser K (1998). Misoprostol and attempted self-induction of abortion. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 91(4), 204 - 205.
- Jones M, Meakin RP, Stevens T, Biller L (1998). A Report of a Review of Barking & Havering Primary Care Centres Ltd.
- Olaitan A, Madge S, Jones M, Johnson M (1998). Reducing the vertical transmission of HIV. Screening programme has not failed. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 316(7148), 1900 - 1901.
- Jones M (1998). GP Tomorrow. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 91(10), 556 - 557.
- Jones M (1998). A preliminary audit of out-of-hours drug despensing in a GP co-operative. Audit trends, 6, 12 - 17.
- Jones M (1998). Why the BMJ needs data on doctors. BMA must sometimes make uncommercial decisions. BMJ, 316(7127), 310 - 310.
- Jones M (1998). Who are GP deputies and where do they get CME?. Education for General Practice, 9, 154 - 155.
- Jones M, Carter Y, Everington S (1997). Out of hours primary care. Patients in inner city east London like primary care centres. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 314(7088), 1198 - 1199.
- Jones M (1997). Working as a deputy in general practice. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 315(7112), 2 - 3.
- De Coster D, Jones M (). Effectiveness and Safety of Inhaled Beclometasone in COPD: a Cochrane Systematic Review.
- Jones MM, Singh S (). BEME- Systematic Review: Impact of an Intercalated BSc on Medical Student Performance & Careers.