Dr Melvyn Jones
Melvyn Jones is a General Practitioner and partner in a practice in Hertfordshire. He is an honorary NHS Consultant with NHS Hertforshire. He has published in the fields of medical education, cardiovascular observational research and health services research. His current research interests are exploring chest pain among people with diabetes and developing educational research activities. He has been the generalist GP on the NICE COPD 2010 update, COPD COF/ TEG member, advisor to NICE QOF on peripheral vascular disease, panel member for the RCGP research paper of the year award and is currently a member of the NIHR HTA primary care and disease prevention panel. He is a co-director of the London BEME international collaboration (BICC).
BEME The role of intercalated BScs in medical education
He has two main roles in the undergraduate educational field. He has been involved in the UCL intercalated BSc in primary health care for over 14 years, leading it for the first 7 years. This course was the first internationally, recruits students from across the UK and has produced over 100 graduates, who are now GPs and hospital doctors (including MB PhD transfers, and doctoral students). The course has been evaluated, and a publication about the course focusing on student research projects in the community has been published. He has led on a BEME systematic review on the role of intercalated iBScs in medical education which was published in 2013.
His other role is Yr 4 UCL lead for community based teaching, with 380 students placed in 3 courses including medicine in the community component of the general medicine firm, primary care involvement in the clinical introductory course and care of the older person courses (now in year 5) all based in local general practices. My role is overseeing these programmes. He is also actively involved in the firm management through the steering groups (MMG). He led on the revision of these courses for the UCL 2012 MB BS curriculum review.
In the postgraduate field he is a GP trainer in his practice and will be working with the academic GP trainees, including the new Enfield CCG sponsored attachment to UCL.
Dr Patrick Hutt; Dr Sophie Eastwood
- Jones MM (2014). Patient access again. British Journal of General Practice, 64(621), 188 - 188. doi:10.3399/bjgp14X677879
- Fukaura R, Jones M (2014). Are GP career intentions more prevalent in UCL Primary Health Care iBSc students?. British Journal of General Practice, 64(619), 72 - 72. doi:10.3399/bjgp14X677077
- Jones M, Hutt P, Singh S, Eastwood S (2013). Impact of an intercalated BSc on medical student performance and careers: A BEME systematic review: BEME Guide No. 28. Medical Teacher, 35(10), - . doi:10.3109/0142159X.2013.806983
- De Coster DA, Jones M, Thakrar N (2013). Beclometasone for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. COCHRANE DATABASE OF SYSTEMATIC REVIEWS, (10), - . doi:10.1002/14651858.CD009769.pub2
- Jones MM (2012). Apixaban reduced stroke or systemic embolism more than warfarin in AF regardless of renal function. ANNALS OF INTERNAL MEDICINE, 157(12), - .
- Amuzie R, Jones M (2012). A systematic review: the role of spirituality in reducing depression in people living with HIV/AIDS. BRITISH JOURNAL OF GENERAL PRACTICE, 62(595), 68 - 68. doi:10.3399/bjgp12X625049
- Jones MM, Topic expert group (TEG) http://publications.nice.org.uk/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-quality-standard-qs10/the-topic-expert-group-and-nice-project-team (2011). NICE Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) (QS10).
- Howman M, Jones M (2011). Does undertaking an intercalated BSc influence first clinical year exam results at a London medical school?. BMC MED EDUC, 11, - . doi:10.1186/1472-6920-11-6
- Gruffydd-Jones K, Jones MM (2011). NICE guidelines for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: implications for primary care. British Journal of General Practice, 61(583), 91 - 92. doi:10.3399/bjgp11X556182
- Jones M (2010). Change in UK government must not mean widespread removal of GPs. J ROY SOC MED, 103(7), 264 - 265. doi:10.1258/jrsm.2010.100187
- Jones MM (2010). And another thing. BMJ, 341(nov23 3), c6655 - c6655. doi:10.1136/bmj.c6655
- informatics S (2010). NHS clinical knowledge summary: scarlet fever.
- Zaman MJS, Jones MM (2010). Strategies to screen and reduce vascular risk-putting statins in the tap water is not the answer. HEART, 96(3), 177 - 178. doi:10.1136/hrt.2009.183764
- O'Reilly J, Jones MM, Parnham J, Lovibond K, Rudolf M, Guideline Dev Grp (2010). Guidelines Management of stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in primary and secondary care: summary of updated NICE guidance. BRIT MED J, 340, - . doi:10.1136/bmj.c3134
- Jones MM, Zaman MJS (2010). Strategies for assessing cardiovascular risk in asymptomatic populations Reply. HEART, 96(11), 901 - 901. doi:10.1136/hrt.2010.196121
- Jones M (2010). US health care does not deliver better quality diabetes care (in this study) [Response]. Family Practice, , - .
- Jones MM, Somerville C, Feder G, Foster G (2010). Patients' descriptions of angina symptoms: a qualitative study of primary care patients. BRIT J GEN PRACT, 60(579), 735 - 741. doi:10.3399/bjgp10X532378
- Jones MM (2009). RCGP Essential Knowledge Update 4: Nov 2009 /› /› 5. Management of Patients with Stroke or TIA.
- Jones M, Brittain D (2009). Music in the waiting room. BRIT J GEN PRACT, 59(565), 613 - 614. doi:10.3399/bjgp09X453864
- Jethwa S, Bryant P, Singh S, Jones M, Berlin A, Rosenthal J (2009). Your Life in Their Pocket: Students' Behaviors Regarding Confidential Patient Information. FAMILY MEDICINE, 41(5), 327 - 331.
- Jones M, Mountain D (2009). Patient information sheets in emergency care. BRIT MED J, 338, - . doi:10.1136/bmj.b35
- Jones M, Singh S, Rosenthal J (2009). Student feedback: a herald of a doctors poor performance?.
- Howman M, Jones M (2009). Does undertaking a BSc improve subsequent results at a London Medical School?.
- Howman M, Jones M (2009). Does undertaking a BSc improve subsequent results at a London Medical School?.
- Brittain D, Jones M (2009). Music in the waiting room (vol 59, pg 613, 2009). BRITISH JOURNAL OF GENERAL PRACTICE, 59(566), 694 - 694. doi:10.3399/bjgp09X454223
- Jones M, Hutt P, Eastwood S, Singh S (2009). ..that was the year I that I learnt to think and to question and to find out things for myself]...a qualitative review of the role of intercalated BScs in medical education.
- Jones M, Singh S (2008). Systematic review of the role of intercalated BScs in medical education.
- Jones M (2008). Methods to examine the prognosis of people with angina in primary care.
- Bryant P, Berlin A, Coppola W, Jones M (2008). A comparison of clinical content between structured specialty teaching sessions and teaching in routine general practice consultations.. Education for Primary Care, 19(1), 43 - 53.
- Jones M, Singh S, Meakin R (2008). Undergraduate research in primary care: is it sustainable?. Primary Health Care Research & Development, 9(01), - . doi:10.1017/S1463423607000461
- Heritage J, Jones M (2008). A study of young peoples' attitudes to opportunistic Chlamydia testing in UK general practice. Reproductive Health, 5(1), 11 - 11. doi:10.1186/1742-4755-5-11
- Junghans C, Jones M (2007). Consent bias in research: how to avoid it. HEART, 93(9), 1024 - 1025. doi:10.1136/hrt.2007.120113
- Singh S, Jones M, Meakin R (2007). Can medical students undertake original research projects in primary care?.
- (2006). Physician, don't heal thyself. The Clinical Teacher, 3(2), 77 - 78. doi:10.1111/j.1743-498X.2006.00102_3.x
- Mannan R, Murphy J, Jones M (2006). Is primary care ready to embrace e-health? A qualitative study of staff in a London primary care trust. Informatics in Primary Care, 14(2), 121 - 131.
- Jones M, Rait G, Falconer J, Feder G (2006). Systematic review: prognosis of angina in primary care. FAM PRACT, 23(5), 520 - 528. doi:10.1093/fampra/cml038
- Junghans C, Feder G, Hemingway H, Timmis A, Jones M (2005). Recruiting patients to medical research: double blind randomised trial of "opt-in" versus "opt-out" strategies. BRIT MED J, 331(7522), 940 - 942. doi:10.1136/bmj.38583.625613.AE
- O'Doherty C, Jones M (2005). Domestic violence in the Bengali community. British Journal of General Practice, 55(518), 715 - 716.
- Hooper C, Meakin R, Jones M (2005). Where students go when they are ill: how medical students access health care. MED EDUC, 39(6), 588 - 593. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2929.2005.02175.x
- Mannan R, Jones M (2005). What's the evidence that NICE guidance has been implemented? Maybe NICE needs to do more to ensure implementation of guidelines. BRIT MED J, 330(7499), 1085 - 1085.
- Jones M (2005). What's the point. BMJ, 330(7481), 22 - 22. doi:10.1136/bmj.330.7481.22
- Jones M, Singh S, Lloyd M (2005). "It isn't just consultants that need a BSc": student experiences of an Intercalated BSc in primary health care.. doi:10.1080/01421590400019567
- Ring F, Jones M (2004). NHS direct usage in a GP population of children under 5 years: is NHS Direct used by people with the greatest health need?. BRIT J GEN PRACT, 54(500), 211 - 213.
- Jones M, Ramsay J, Feder G, Crook AM, Hemingway H (2004). Influence of practices' ethnicity and deprivation on access to angiography: an ecological study. BRITISH JOURNAL OF GENERAL PRACTICE, 54(503), 423 - 428.
- Jones M (2004). Caring for those who refuse help. BMJ, 328(7455), 1546 - 1546. doi:10.1136/bmj.328.7455.1546
- Azad S, Singh S, Jones M (2004). What is the patient care pathway before and after a consultation at the NHS Soho walk in centre?. Epidemiology and Community Health, 58(SII), A18 - A18.
- White S, Jones M (2004). Impact of Advanced Access. British Journal of General Practice, 54(505), 622 - 622.
- Ali B, Jones M (2003). Do medical students want to become GPs?. British Journal of General Practice, 53(3), 241 - 241.
- Ali B, Jones M (2002). Using electronic mail as a method of surveying medical students' opinions and attitudes. Medical Education, 36(4), 392 - 392. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2923.2002.1178f.x
- Allen R, Jones M (2002). What are general practices providing in terms of aid and access for the visually impaired?. British Journal of General Practice, 52(474), 58 - 59.
- Jones M (2002). Walk in centres: lessons from Canada. National evaluation of walk in centres conference.
- Jones M, Lloyd M, Meakin R (2001). An intercalated BSc in Primary Health Care - an outline of a new course. MED TEACH, 23(1), 95 - 97.
- Jones M (2000). Walk-in primary medical care centres: lessons from Canada. BRIT MED J, 321(7266), 928 - 931.
- Madge S, Jones M, Mocroft A, Wells H, Johnson MA (1999). Do people attending a same day testing clinic discuss their need for a HIV test with their GP?. Br J Gen Pract, 49(447), 813 - 815.
- Jones MM, Fraser K (1998). Misoprostol and attempted self-induction of abortion. J ROY SOC MED, 91(4), 204 - 205.
- Jones M (1998). Who are GP deputies and where do they get CME?. Education for General Practice, 9, 154 - 155.
- Olaitan A, Madge S, Jones M, Johnson M (1998). Reducing the vertical transmission of HIV. Screening programme has not failed. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 316(7148), 1900 - 1901.
- Jones M (1998). A preliminary audit of out-of-hours drug despensing in a GP co-operative. Audit trends, 6, 12 - 17.
- Jones M (1998). Why the BMJ needs data on doctors. BMA must sometimes make uncommercial decisions. BMJ, 316(7127), 310 - 310.
- Jones M, Meakin RP, Stevens T, Biller L (1998). A Report of a Review of Barking & Havering Primary Care Centres Ltd.
- Jones M (1998). GP Tomorrow. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 91(10), 556 - 557.
- Roff WR, Hill-Smith I, Reynolds EMR, Soler M, Jones RB, Jones M, Carter Y, Everington S, Sharpley O (1997). Out of hours primary care. BMJ, 314(7088), 1197 - 1197. doi:10.1136/bmj.314.7088.1197
- Jones M (1997). Working as a deputy in general practice. BMJ, 315(7112), 2 - 2. doi:10.1136/bmj.315.7112.2
- Jones MM, Singh S (). BEME- Systematic Review: Impact of an Intercalated BSc on Medical Student Performance & Careers.
- De Coster D, Jones M (). Effectiveness and Safety of Inhaled Beclometasone in COPD: a Cochrane Systematic Review.
- Jones MM (). Rapid appraisal of a community based element of a revised undergraduate curriculum - The UCL Medicine in the community course.