Dr Deborah Gill
I am a professor of Medical Education at UCL Medical School.
I am an active teacher and education scholar.
My education research is focused on the following areas:
-Professionalism and professional formation
-The support of novices in clinical learning environments
-Peer assisted learning
I am a Doctor of Education (EdD) as well as a doctor of medicine. My EdD research focused on the factors impacting on professional identity formation of novice doctors.
I have a long history as an educator and education scholar within the Medical School at UCL and am involved in a wide range of curriculum innovation and development activities and was implementation lead for the ambitious MBBS 2012 project. I am also involved in faculty development activities that support medical teachers and education supervisors. I am currently interim director of the Medical School with leadership responsibility for over 2,000 undergraduates and almost 100 postgraduate students. In my role as a lead consultant in the UCL Medical School Education Consultancy (MSEC), I play an international role in driving up medical education planning and delivery globally.
I am a senior Fellow of The Higher Education Academy.
Prof Jane Dacre; Dr Henry Potts; Dr Anita Berlin; Dr William Coppola; Dr Dan Furmedge; Dr Alison Sturrock; Dr Ann Griffin; Dr Katherine Woolf; Dr Scott Rice; Dr Sophie Park
Dr Tareq Abouharb; Dr Catherine O'keefe; Dr Viv Cook; Prof Olwyn Westwood
- Belcher R, Jones A, Smith L-J, Vincent T, Naidu SB, Montgomery J, Haq I, Gill D (2014). A qualitative study of the impact of an authentic electronic portfolio in undergraduate medical education. BMC Medical Education, , - .
- Smith LJ, Belcher R, Coppola W, Gill D, Spencer H, Cooper C, Rawlinson N, Williams J, Haig A, Smith J, Haq I, Jones A, Montgomery J, Vincent T (2014). Successful collaboration in education: the UMeP.. Clin Teach, 11(7), 546 - 550. doi:10.1111/tct.12212
- Iwata K, Furmedge D, Sturrock A, Gill D (2014). Do peer-tutors perform better in examinations? An analysis of medical school final examination results.. Medical Education, 48(7), 698 - 704. doi:10.1111/medu.12475
- Furmedge DS, Iwata K, Gill D (2014). Peer-assisted learning--beyond teaching: How can medical students contribute to the undergraduate curriculum?. Med Teach, 36(9), 812 - 817. doi:10.3109/0142159X.2014.917158
- Gill D, Griffin A, Launer J (2014). Fostering professionalism among doctors: the role of workplace discussion groups.. Postgrad Med J, 90(1068), 565 - 570. doi:10.1136/postgradmedj-2013-132165
- Gill D (2013). Assessment of professionalism. In Westwood O, Griffin A, Hays F (Ed.), How to assess students and trainees in medicine and health (pp. 76 - 93). : Wiley-Blackwell.
- Iwata K, Gill D (2013). Learning through work: clinical shadowing of junior doctors by first year medical students.. Med Teach, 35(8), 633 - 638. doi:10.3109/0142159X.2013.801552
- Gill D, Sturrock A (2012). How to Excel in the Situational Judgement Test.
- Gill D, Mountford J (2012). What is a quality improvement project?. Br J Hosp Med (Lond), 73(5), 252 - 256.
- Park S, Griffin A, Gill D (2012). Working with words: exploring textual analysis in medical education research.. Med Educ, 46(4), 372 - 380. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2923.2011.04184.x
- Gill D, Griffin AE, Richardson J, Sturrock A, Woolf K, Khatib Y, Launer J (2011). The London Deanery pilot project: Trust-based learning groups to foster professionalism.
- Handler C, Handler C, Gill D (2011). English and Reflective Writing Skills in Medicine.
- Gill D (2010). Consensus or contestation? How medical schools in England construct and present a curriculum for personal and professional development (PPD): a qualitative evaluation.
- Gill D, Griffin A (2010). Good Medical Practice: what are we trying to say? Textual analysis using tag clouds. MED EDUC, 44(3), 316 - 322. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2923.2009.03588.x
- Gill D, Rowett S, Coppola WC (2010). Case of the Month: Using personalised feedback via the virtual learning environment: medical students’ perceptions.
- Ioannou Y, Richardson J, Gill D, Woolf K, fertleman C (2009). Medical Students’ perceptions of education in safeguarding children.
- Parker C, Prime M, Wilson AJ, Gill D (2009). Final years, cadavers & first years: A feasibility study in developing peer-assisted learning in anatomy classes.
- Richardson J, Gill D, Woolf K (2009). Addressing Assessment in Libyan Medical Education. LIBYAN J MED, 4(1), 51 - 53. doi:10.4176/081020
- Baillie S, Shore H, Gill D, May SA (2009). Introducing Peer-Assisted Learning into a Veterinary Curriculum: A Trial with a Simulator. J VET MED EDUC, 36(2), 174 - 179.
- Gill D, Griffin A, Woolf K, Cave J (2009). Twelve tips for studying medical education at doctoral level.. Med Teach, 31(7), 601 - 604.
- Gill D, Griffin AE (2009). Reframing medical education research: let's make the publishable meaningful and the meaningful publishable.. Med Educ, 43(10), 933 - 935. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2923.2009.03451.x
- Woolf K, McManus IC, Gill D, Dacre J (2009). The effect of a brief social intervention on the examination results of UK medical students: a cluster randomised controlled trial.. BMC Med Educ, 9, 35 - . doi:10.1186/1472-6920-9-35
- Woolf KVM, McManus IC, Dacre J, Cave J, Greenhalgh T, Gill D (2009). The ethnic gap in attainment at UCL Medical School.
- Richardson J, Woolf K, Potts HWW, Bark P, Gill D (2009). What influences medical students' choice of Student Selected Component? The relationship between sex, personality, motivation and SSC choice in first year medical students. Medical Teacher, 31(9), e418 - e424. doi:10.1080/01421590902744878
- Gill D, Richardson J, Parker C (2008). Tomorrow's teachers: impact of teaching in the undergraduate years. The Clinical Teacher, 5(1), 49 - 55. doi:10.1111/j.1743-498X.2007.00200.x
- Woolf KVM, McManus IC, Gill D, Dacre J (2008). The underperformance of minority ethnic UK medical students is significantly reduced by a brief social intervention several months earlier: a single-blind randomised controlled field experiment..
- woolf K, McManus IC, Gill D, Dacre J (2008). The underperformance of minority ethnic UK medical students is significantly reduced by a brief social intervention several months earlier: a single-blind randomised controlled field experiment.
- Richardson J, Woolf KVM, Gill D, Barakat N (2007). Coming together to develop assessment in Libyan medical education.
- Gill D, Parker C, Spooner M, Thomas M, Richardson J, Ambrose K (2006). Tomorrow's doctors and nurses: Peer assisted learning. Clinical Teacher, 3(1), 13 - 18. doi:10.1111/j.1743-498X.2006.00087.x
- Richardson J, Woolf K, Gill D (2006). Coming together to Improve assessment in Libya.
- Gill D, Parker C, Richardson J (2005). Tomorrow’s Teachers? Does training in teaching in the undergraduate years impact on the teaching activities of junior doctors?.
- Gill D, Parker C, Richardson J (2005). Twelve tips for teaching using videoconferencing.. Med Teach, 27(7), 573 - 577. doi:10.1080/01421590500097026
- Dacre J, Jones G, Mirza M, Haq I, Gill D (2003). Development of Standard operational procedures (SOPs) to improve the organisation of Large scale OSCE examinations.
- Gill D, Dacre J (2003). Teaching and learning in clinical contexts: a resource for Health Professionals: Bedside Teaching.
- Hartley S, Gill D, Carter F (2003). Teaching medical students in primary and secondary care.
- Gill D (2002). How do we nurture professionalism in our teachers?.
- Gill D, Buszewicz M, Briers J (1999). Involving our Fellow Professionals in Teaching Child Health..
- Gill D, Murray E, Lloyd M (1997). Evaluation of Community based learning of undergraduate dermatology..
- Gill D, Hoffman K, Lloyd M (1996). An innovative approach to the teaching of Otorhinolaryngology.
- Gill D, Rickets M, McLennan ER (1996). Assessment of needs and perceived clinical competence of novice clinical teachers.
- Mc Lennan ER, Rickets M, Hoffman K, Hartley SL, Gill D, Berlin A, Fuller J (). The implementation of a multi-institution, multi-disciplinary project to develop community undergraduate medical education.
- Belcher R, Jones A, Smith L-J, Vincent T, Naidu SB, Haq I, Gill D (). A qualitative study of the impact of an authentic electronic portfolio in undergraduate medical education. BMC Medical Education, , - .
- Noble LMM, Rowett S, Gill D (). Preparing students for practice: a centrally-delivered, online course..