Dr Anita Berlin
y research covers a range of education-related areas currently focussing on public sector reforms, academic leadership and public participation in education. I am also exploring issues related to professional and personal identity. I have secured and managed research grants over £80,000 and numerous smaller projects.
I lead on the Social Determinants of Health Module and co-lead the Consultation Module in the departmental iBSc for the MBBS.
I have undertaken a number of overseas consultancies and lectured widely in the UK and internationally on medical education topics.
In 2013 I was included in the list of Faculty Academic Role Models and given an Excellence in Medical Education Award .
I am proud to have received a fellowship of the Royal College of General Practitioners in recognition of my contribution to education in primary care.
Dr Deborah Gill; Dr William Coppola; Dr Alison Sturrock; Dr Dan Furmedge; Dr Ann Griffin; Dr Katherine Woolf; Dr Sophie Park
Dr Tareq Abouharb; Dr Catherine O'keefe; Dr Viv Cook; Prof Olwyn Westwood
- Berlin AP (2014). Reflections on identity across time and space.
- Berlin AP, Lygidakis H, Broad J, Jewell D, Laeubli M, Kinmonth A-L, Feder G, Musmar S, Hamshari S, Wallace P (2014). International Development of Family Medicine in Palestine: Interim Course Evaluation Report.
- Berlin AP, Rudolf M, Reis S, Gibbs T, Murdoch Eaton D, Stone D, Grady M, Blair M, Spitzer-Shohat S, Weingarten M, Essa-Hadad J (2014). How can medical schools contribute to bringing about health equity?. Israel Journal of Health Policy Research, 3, - . doi:10.1186/2045-4015-3-17
- Berlin AP, Griffin AE, Park S (2013). The professional medical educator: chimera or career woman in Professional life. In Modern UK higher education. In Crook D D, Cunningham B (Ed.), Professional life in Modern UK higher education (pp. - ). : Institute of Education Press.
- Berlin AP (2013). The global healthcare biome and building the ecological medical school. In Relational Architectural Ecologies Interdisciplinarity, Architecture, Nature and Subjectivity. In Rawes P (Ed.), (pp. - ). : Routledge.
- Berlin AP, Haines AP (2013). Global health. In Manson's Tropical Diseases 23rd edition. In Cook G (Ed.), In Manson's Tropical Diseases 23rd edition (pp. - ). : Elsevier.
- Berlin AP, Belcher R, Lal A, Sturrock A, McGovern P, Dooley J, Chong A (2012). Assessment to support preparation for practice in final year medical students: a case study.
- Berlin AP, Bennett S, Belcher R, Lal A (2012). Junior doctors’ insight into their teaching skills – an innovative intervention to improve competence and self-assessment.
- Berlin AP, Park S (2012). ‘Divided we fail’: Understanding inter-relations and the role of the Generalist. British Journal of General Practice, 62(604), - .
- Berlin AP, Johnson I, Seymour C (2011). Public Engagement in the Education of Tomorrow’s Doctors – an exploratory interview study of medical students, and medical school staff ”.
- Berlin AP (2011). Educating health professionals in an interdependent world: Debating the implications for family practice.
- Berlin AP, Seymour C, Johnson I, Cupit S (2011). A Enhancing Basic Education Through Patient And Public Involvement : A Multilevel Action Research Project To Enhance Users’ Participation In A Medical School Curriculum.
- Berlin AP (2011). Apprenticeships, assistantships, general practice and the 21st century student.
- Berlin AP (2011). Berlin, A. The research - teaching nexus – rumour or reality: implications for academic primary care.
- Berlin AP, Tufton H (2010). Spanish practice One student’s journey into medical Spanish. Student British Medical Journal, 18:c5011, - . doi:10.1136/sbmj.c5011
- Berlin AP, Griffin AE, Booth J (2010). The second national conference on student evaluation. Embedding evaluation: working with students to close the loop.. Higher Education Academy MEDEV Journal, 33(01.20), - .
- Berlin AP (2010). Comment and Critique on Lancet Commission Report: Medical Health Professional Education for the new Century.
- Berlin AP (2009). Death certification: topical tips for GPs. London Journal of Primary Care, 2, 130 - 137.
- Berlin AP (2009). Discussion of the relevance of Luce Irigaray’s work to: doctor/patient and student/tutor relations in clinical practice.
- Jethwa S, Bryant P, Singh S, Jones M, Berlin A, Rosenthal J (2009). Your life in their pocket: students' behaviors regarding confidential patient information. Family Medicine, 41(5), 327 - 331.
- Bryant P, Berlin A, Coppola W, Jones M (2008). A comparison of clinical content between structured specialty teaching sessions and teaching in routine general practice consultations.. Education for Primary Care, 19(1), 43 - 53.
- MacFarlane A, Harrison R, Murray E, Berlin A, Wallace P (2006). A qualitative study of the educational potential of joint teleconsultations at the primary-secondary care interface. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 12(S1), 22 - 24.
- Berlin AP (2004). Los roles de los profesionales sanitarios ¿podemos no cambiar?.
- Berlin AP (2004). Aprender a ser médico en el Centro de Salud y en la Comunidad en el Reino Unido Atención Primaria.
- Berlin A, Carter F (2003). Teaching and learning in the community.
- Carter F, Berlin A (2003). Using the consultation as a learning opportunity.
- Grant A, Berlin A, Freeman GK (2003). The impact of a student learning journal: a two-stage evaluation using the Nominal Group Technique. Medical Teacher, 25(6), 659 - 661.
- Bryant P, Hartley S, Coppola W, Berlin A, Modell M, Murray E (2003). Clinical exposure during clinical attachments in general practice. Medical Education, 37(9), 790 - 793.
- Henderson E, Hogan H, Grant A, Berlin A (2003). Conflict and coping strategies: a qualitative study of student attitudes to significant event analysis. Medical Education, 37(5), 438 - 446.
- Henderson E, Berlin A, Fuller J (2002). Attitude of medical students towards general practice and general practitioners. British Journal of General Practice, 52(478), 359 - 363.
- Berlin AP, de Zulueta P, Fuller J, Henderson E (2002). Clinical role models and the development of professional values: the learner’s perspective - a qualitative study.
- Wallace P, Berlin A, Murray E, Southgate L (2001). CeMENT: evaluation of a regional development programme integrating hospital and general practice clinical teaching for medical undergraduates.. Medical Education, 35(2), 160 - 166.
- Berlin A, Gill P, Eversley J (1997). Refugee doctors in Britain: a wasted resource. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 315(7103), 264 - 265.
- Berlin AP, Van Zwannenberg TD, Spencer JA, Bhopal RS (1996). Creating a Death Register for General Practice in “Medical records in practice - Guidance for general practitioners”. In (Ed.), Medical records in practice - Guidance for general practitioners (pp. - ). : .
- Berlin AP, Bhopal RS, Wagstaff R, Spencer JA (1994). Post Mortems: General Practitioners’ knowledge, behaviour and attitudes British Medical Journal 1994 308 1080-1. British Journal of General Practice, 315, 264 - 265.