Dr Katrina Scior
My research mainly focuses on societal responses and health care provision relating to people with intellectual disabilities. Four core research themes:
1. Intellectual disability literacy and stigma among lay people
We have studied lay knowledge and attitudes and beliefs regarding intellectual disability in different cultural and religious contexts, with a view to identifying processes involved in intellectual disability stigma (see publications).
We are examining implicit associations to intellectual disability and the relationship between these and explicit attitudes and stigma among lay people in the UK (Wilson & Scior, in preparation).
2. Interventions aimed at tackling prejudice and discrimination towards people with intellectual disabilities
We have piloted brief internet delivered film based interventions that combine education and contact to tackle prejudice and discrimination towards people with intellectual disabilities at general population level (Walker & Scior, 2013; Seewooruttun, Alam & Scior, in preparation).
We are currently undertaking a scoping review to assess what policies and actions are in place around the globe to promote the equal rights and freedoms of people with intellectual disabilities around the globe, and in particular to counter negative attitudes, prejudice and discrimination, in line with Article 8 of the 2006 UN Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities. Joint Lead with Maria Kett, Leonard Cheshire Disability & Inclusive Development Centre. Funded by UCL's Global Challenges Small Grants scheme.
2. Health care delivery for people with intellectual disabilities
We have completed a number of projects examining the experiences of people with intellectual disabilities and their carers of health services for individuals who experience mental health problems (see publications). Other work focuses on tackling health inequalities experienced by people with intellectual disabilities (Buczewisz, Ryan, Strydom & Scior, in progress).
I am also co-applicant on a study examining the feasibility of an Enhanced Brief Intervention to tackle Alcohol Misuse in people with Learning Disabilities (EBI-LD), funded by the NIHR Research for Patient Benefit scheme. Lead: Dr Christos Kouimtsidis.
4. Clinical Psychology Training
I am committed to ensuring fair access to clinical psychology. To this end we have studied potential causes of the underrepresentation of individuals from BAME backgrounds in the profession (see publications), and the effects of educational background on selection across UK training providers, funded by the Clearing House for Clinical Psychology (Scior, Williams & King, under review). We are currently developing mentoring for psychology graduates from BAME backgrounds, funded by the BPS DCP.
Academic Director, Doctorate in Clinical Psychology
Teaching input also provided to:
BSc Psychology, UCL
MSc Research Methods in Psychology, UCL
IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapy) Low Intensity Training Course, UCL & Institute of Psychiatry
Dr Andre Strydom; Prof Nora Groce; Prof Adrian Furnham
- Goll JC, Charlesworth G, Scior K, Stott J (2015). Barriers to social participation among lonely older adults: The influence of social fears and identity. PLoS ONE, 10(2), - . doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0116664
- Ellison N, Mason O, Scior K (2015). Renaming schizophrenia to reduce stigma: comparison with the case of bipolar disorder. British Journal of Psychiatry, 205, 1 - 2. doi:10.1192/bjp.bp.114.146217
- Scior K, Hamid A, Kett M (2015). Submission to the UN Day of General Discussion on the Right to Education for Persons with Disabilities, 15th April 2015.
- Goll J, Charlesworth G, Scior K, Stott J (2015). Barriers to social participation among lonely older adults: the influence of social fears and identity. Plos ONE, , - .
- Ellison N, Mason O, Scior K (2015). Public beliefs about and attitudes towards bipolar disorder: Testing theory based models of stigma. Journal of Affective Disorders, 175, 116 - 123. doi:10.1016/j.jad.2014.12.047
- Woolf K, Potts HW, McManus IC, Williams A, Stott J, Scior K (2015). The best choice? Evidence on selection into the healthcare professions. The Psychologist, , - .
- Ryan TA, Scior K (2014). Medical students' attitudes towards people with intellectual disabilities: a literature review.. Res Dev Disabil, 35(10), 2316 - 2328. doi:10.1016/j.ridd.2014.05.019
- Seewooruttun L, Scior K (2014). Interventions aimed at raising awareness and improving attitudes towards people with intellectual disabilities among lay people: A Review. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 35, 3482 - 3495. doi:10.1016/j.ridd.2014.07.028
- Kleinberg I, Scior K (2014). The Impact of Staff and Service User Gender on Staff Responses towards Adults with Intellectual Disabilities who Display Aggressive Behaviour. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 58, 110 - 124. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2788.2012.01640.x
- Findlay L, Williams AC, Scior K (2014). Exploring experiences and understandings of pain in adults with intellectual disabilities. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 58(4), 358 - 367.
- Scior K, Bradley C, Potts HWW, Woolf KVM, Williams ACDC (2014). What predicts performance during clinical psychology training?. British Journal of Clinical Psychology, 53(2), 194 - 212. doi:10.1111/bjc.12035
- Findlay L, Williams AC, Baum S, Scior K (2014). Caregiver experiences of supporting adults with intellectual disabilities in pain. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, , - .
- Wilson MC, Scior K (2014). Attitudes towards individuals with disabilities as measured by the Implicit Association Test: A literature review. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 35, 294 - 321. doi:10.1016/j.ridd.2013.11.003
- Ellison N, Mason O, Scior K (2013). Bipolar disorder and stigma: a systematic review of the literature.. J Affect Disord, 151(3), 805 - 820. doi:10.1016/j.jad.2013.08.014
- Connolly T, Williams J, Scior K (2013). The effects of symptom recognition and diagnostic labels on public beliefs, emotional reactions and stigma associated with intellectual disability. American Journal on Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities, 13, 211 - 223. doi:10.1352/1944-7558-118.3.211
- Scior K, Potts HW, Furnham AF (2013). Awareness of schizophrenia and intellectual disability and stigma across ethnic groups in the UK. Psychiatry Research, 208, 125 - 130. doi:10.1016/j.psychres.2012.09.059
- Sheridan JC, Scior K (2013). Attitudes towards people with intellectual disabilities: a comparison of young people from British South Asian and White British backgrounds. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 34, 1240 - 1247. doi:10.1016/j.ridd.2012.12.017
- Ali A, Scior K, Ratti V, Strydom A, King M, Hassiotis A (2013). Discrimination and Other Barriers to Accessing Health Care: Perspectives of Patients with Mild and Moderate Intellectual Disability and Their Carers. PLoS ONE, 8(8), e70855 - e70855. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0070855
- Walker J, Scior K (2013). Tackling stigma associated with intellectual disability among the general public: A study of two indirect contact interventions. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 34, 2200 - 2210.
- Scior K, Hamid A, Mahfoudhi A, Abdalla F (2013). The relationship between awareness of intellectual disability, causal and intervention beliefs and stigma in Kuwait and the UK. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 34, 3896 - 3905. doi:10.1016/j.ridd.2013.07.030
- Scior K, Baum S, Dodd K, Holmes N, Hughes K, Rose J (2012). Good practice guidelines for UK clinical psychology training providers for the training and consolidation of clinical practice in relation to adults with learning disabilities (Revised Version).
- Scior K, Addai-Davis J, Kenyon M, Sheridan J (2012). Stigma, public awareness about intellectual disability and attitudes to inclusion among different ethnic groups. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, , - . doi:10.1111/j.1365-2788.2012.01597.x
- Scior K (2012). Knowledge, inclusion attitudes, stigma and beliefs regarding intellectual disability and schizophrenia among the UK public: The role of ethnicity, religion and contact.
- Coles S, Scior K (2012). Public attitudes towards people with intellectual disabilities: a qualitative comparison of white British and South Asian people. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 25(2), 177 - 188. doi:10.1111/j.1468-3148.2011.00655.x
- Scior K (2011). Public awareness, attitudes and beliefs regarding intellectual disability: a systematic review. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 32(6), 2164 - 2182. doi:10.1016/j.ridd.2011.07.005
- Scior K, Furnham A (2011). Development and validation of the Intellectual Disability Literacy Scale for Assessment of Knowledge, Beliefs and Attitudes to Intellectual Disability. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 32, 1530 - 1541. doi:10.1016/j.ridd.2011.01.044
- Jamieson-Craig R, Scior K, Chan T, Fenton C, Strydom A (2010). Reliance on carer reports of early symptoms of dementia among adults with intellectual disabilities. Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities, 7(1), 34 - 41.
- Scior K, Kan KY, McLoughlin M, Sheridan JC (2010). Public attitudes toward people with intellectual disabilities: a cross-cultural study. Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, 48(4), 278 - 289. doi:10.1352/1934-9556-48.4.278
- Donner B, Mutter R, Scior K (2010). Mainstream in-patient mental health care for people with intellectual disabilities: service user, carer and provider experiences. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 23(3), 214 - 225. doi:10.1111/j.1468-3148.2009.00527.x
- Scior K (2009). Psychological interventions. In Hassiotis A, Hall I, Barron DA (Ed.), Psychiatry of intellectual disabilities: a practical guide (pp. 223 - 236). : Wiley.
- Kaur G, Wilson S, Scior K (2009). Systemic working in learning disability services: results from a UK wide survey. British Journal of Learning Disabilities, 37(3), 213 - 220. doi:10.1111/j.1468-3156.2009.00553.x
- Cape J, Roth A, Scior K, Thompson M, Heneage C, Du Plessis P (2008). Increasing Diversity within Clinical Psychology: the London initiative. Clinical Psychology Forum, 190, 7 - 10.
- Cape J, Roth A, Scior K, Thompson M, Heneage C, Du Plessis P (2008). Increasing Diversity within Clinical Psychology: the London initiative. Clinical Psychology Forum, 21(1), 72 - 73.
- Cape J, Thompson M, Roth A, Scior K, Heneage C, Du Plessis P (2008). Promoting diversity. PSYCHOLOGIST, 21(1), 72 - 73.
- Faust H, Scior K (2008). Mental health problems in young people with learning disabilities: the impact on parents. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 21(5), 414 - 424.
- Craig R, Scior K, Chan T, Fenton C, Strydom A (2008). Carer-reported symptoms of dementia in older adults with non-DS ID.
- Auty E, Scior K (2008). Psychologists’ clinical practice in assessing dementia in individuals with Down’s Syndrome. Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities, 5(4), 259 - 268. doi:10.1111/j.1741-1130.2008.00187.x
- Scior K, Gray J, Halsey R, Roth AD (2007). Selection for clinical training: Is there any evidence of any bias against applicants from ethnic minorities?. Clinical Psychology Forum, 175, 7 - 12.
- Scior K, Lynggaard H (2006). New stories of intellectual disabilities: a narrative approach. In Baum S, Lynggaard H (Ed.), Intellectual disabilities: a systemic approach (pp. 100 - 119). : Karnac.
- Scior K, Longo S (2005). In-patient psychiatric care: What we can learn from people with learning disabilities and their carers. Tizard Learning Disability Review, 10(3), 22 - 33. doi:10.1080/09638230410001669318
- Scior K, Dodd K, Holmes N, Jenkins RR, J on behalf of the National Committee of the Faculty for Learning Disabilities BPS (2005). Good Practice Guidelines for UK Clinical Psychology Training Providers for the Training and Consolidation of Clinical Practice in Relation to People with Learning Disabilities.
- Mason J, Scior K (2004). 'Diagnostic overshadowing' amongst clinicians working with people with intellectual disabilities in the UK. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 17(2), 85 - 90. doi:10.1111/j.1360-2322.2004.00184.x
- Longo S, Scior K (2004). In-patient psychiatric care for individuals with intellectual disabilities: the service users' and carers' perspectives. Journal of Mental Health, 13(2), 211 - 221. doi:10.1080/09638230410001669318
- Scior K, Grierson K (2004). Service provision for young people with intellectual disabilities and additional mental health needs: service-providers' perspectives. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 17(3), 173 - 179. doi:10.1111/j.1468-3148.2004.00193.x
- Scior K, Grierson K (2003). Service provision for young people with learning disabilities and additional mental health problems: service providers' perspectives.
- Scior K (2003). Using discourse analysis to study the experiences of women with learning disabilities.. Disability and Society, 18(6), 779 - 795. doi:10.1080/0968759032000119514
- Lynggaard H, Scior K (2002). Narrative therapy and people with learning disabilities. Clinical Psychology, 17, 33 - 36.
- Scior K (2001). Future visions of clinical psychologists in learning disabilities services.. Clinical Psychology Forum, 148, 43 - 46.
- Baum S, Chapman K, Scior K, Sheppard N, Walden S (2001). Themes emerging from systemic therapy involving adults with learning disabilities and their families. Clinical Psychology, 3, 16 - 18.
- Scior K (2000). Women with learning disabilites: gendered subjects after all?. Clinical Psychology Forum, 137, 6 - 10.
- Scior K (). Service user and carer experiences of mental health services delivered to people with intellectual disabilities. In Hemmings C, Bouras N (Ed.), Psychiatric and Behavioural Disorders in Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (pp. - ). : .
- Scior K, Bagnall H, Connolly T, Stiehl K, Zeilinger EM (). Do intellectual disability literacy and stigma vary across cultures?.