Dr Julia Bailey
1) The Sexunzipped project-
an online trial of an interactive computer-based intervention for sexual health for young people
The sexual health team in the UCL e-Health Unit have developed a website which is interactive and tailored, helping young people achieve a healthier sex life through giving them the tools to make informed decisions about sexual wellbeing. The Sexunzipped website was developed in partnership with young people, and features sections on relationships, sexual pleasure and safer sex.
We are currently testing this website in an online trial, comparing it to an information-only website. We are measuring self-reported sexual health outcomes online, and measuring genital Chlamydia prevalence using postal urine samples. We have recruited 2,000 young people aged 16-20, and results are due in November 2011.
We are also researching the best methods for online research, for example how to recruit people, whether to give incentives for the research, and what measurements to make and when.
2) Discourse analysis in medical research
Discourse analysis can bring helpful new ways of understanding health and illness, as well as insights into research processes themselves (both qualitative and quantitative). I am very interested in the dissemination of expertise on discourse analysis, as well as exploring how discourse analysis can deepen understanding of the complexity of sexual health.
qualitative research methodology
Medical students - sexual health in primary care, systematic reviews and meta-analyses
Sexual health online - workshop for clinicians and academics
Diploma of the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare - secondary trainer in clinical practice
Individual student supervision-
MSc/MA student projects
PhD thesis- Lorna Hobbs - qualitative and quantitative evaluation of the Sextherapylondon website for online sex therapy
E-learning module - 'Asking clinical questions'. For the e-learning for Healthcare project. http://www.e-lfh.org.uk
Discourse analysis - joint course organiser for the MSc/MA module 'Medical Discourses' http://www.kcl.ac.uk/projects/ldc/Study/modules/meddiscourses.aspx
Dr Pam Sonnenberg
- Webster R, Bailey JV (2013). Development of a theory-based interactive digital intervention to improve condom use in men in sexual health clinics: an application of qualitative methods using the behaviour change wheel.
- Nicholas A, Bailey JV, Stevenson F, Murray E (2013). The Sexunzipped Trial: Young People's Views of Participating in an Online Randomized Controlled Trial.. J Med Internet Res, 15(12), e276 - . doi:10.2196/jmir.2647
- Bailey JV, Pavlou M, Copas A, McCarthy O, Carswell K, Rait G, Hart G, Nazareth I, Free C, French R, Murray E (2013). The sexunzipped trial: optimizing the design of online randomized controlled trials.. J Med Internet Res, 15(12), e278 - . doi:10.2196/jmir.2668
- Carswell K, McCarthy O, Murray E, Bailey JV (2012). Integrating psychological theory into the design of an online intervention for sexual health: the Sexunzipped website.. J Med Internet Res, doi:10.2196/jmir.2114(in press), - .
- Bailey JV, Murray E, Rait G, Mercer CH, Morris RW, Peacock R, Cassell J, Nazareth I (2012). Computer-based interventions for sexual health promotion: systematic review and meta-analyses. Int.J.STD AIDS., 23(6), 408 - 413.
- McCarthy O, Carswell K, Murray E, Free C, Stevenson F, Bailey JV (2012). What young people want from a sexual health website: design and development of sexunzipped. J.Med.Internet.Res., 14(5), e127 - .
- Bailey JV, Murray E, Rait G, Mercer CH, Morris RW, Peacock R, Cssell J (2011). The "lumping or splitting" debate - making systematic review results useful for policy-makers.. Evidence-Based Child Health, 6, 2273 - 2274.
- Bailey JV, Murray E, Rait G, Mercer CH, Morris RW, Peacock R, Cassell J, Nazareth I (2010). Interactive computer-based interventions for sexual health promotion.. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, (9), CD006483 - . doi:10.1002/14651858.CD006483.pub2
- Shaw SE, Bailey J (2009). Discourse analysis: what is it and why is it relevant to family practice?. Family Practice, 26(5), 413 - 419. doi:10.1093/fampra/cmp038
- Bailey JV (2008). Could patients' coughing have communicative significance?. Communication and Medicine, 5(2), 105 - 115. doi:10.1558/cam.v5i2.105
- Bailey J (2008). First steps in qualitative data analysis: transcribing. Family Practice, 25(2), 127 - 131. doi:10.1093/fampra/cmn003
- Bailey JV, Benato R, Owen C, Kavanagh J (2008). Vulvovaginal candidiasis in women who have sex with women. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 35(6), 533 - 536. doi:10.1097/OLQ.0b013e31816766c2
- Bailey JV, Murray E, Rait G, Mercer CH, Morris RW, Peacock R, Cassell JA, Nazareth I (2007). Interactive computer-based interventions for sexual health promotion. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, (2), - . doi:10.1002/14651858.CD006483
- Mercer CH, Bailey JV, Johnson AM, Erens B, Wellings K, Fenton KA, Copas AJ (2007). Women who report having sex with women: British national probability data on prevalence, sexual behaviors, and health outcomes.. American Journal of Public Health, 97(6), 1126 - 1133. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2006.086439
- Bailey JV, Mercer CH, Johnson AM, Erens B, Wellings K, Fenton KA, Copas AJ (2006). Women who report sex with women in Britain: national probability data on prevalence, sexual behaviors and health outcomes..
- Bailey JV, Farquhar C, Owen C (2004). Bacterial vaginosis in lesbians and bisexual women.. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 31(11), 691 - 694.
- Bailey JV, Farquhar C, Owen C, Mangtani P (2004). Sexually transmitted infections in women who have sex with women.. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 80(3), 244 - 246.
- Bailey JV, Farquhar C, Owen C, Whittaker D (2003). Sexual behaviour of lesbians and bisexual women.. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 79(2), 147 - 150.
- Burgers JS, Bailey JV, Klazinga NS, Van Der Bij AK, Grol R F, G AC (2002). Inside guidelines: comparative analysis of recommendations and evidence in diabetes guidelines from 13 countries.. Diabetes Care, 25(11), 1933 - 1939.
- Farquhar JC, Bailey JV, Whittaker D (2001). Are lesbians sexually healthy? A report of the Lesbian Sexual Behaviour and Health Survey.
- Bailey JV, Kavanagh J, Owen C, McLean KA, Skinner CJ (2000). Lesbians and cervical screening.. British Journal of General Practice, 50(455), 481 - 482.
- Millard P, Bailey JV, Hanson J (1991). Outcome of Pregnancy in women in an "antenatal village" in rural Zimbabwe'. Central African Journal of Medicine, 37, - .