Dr Sammy Lee
I am trying to use my experience in early mammalian embryology to study gastrulation and early events in cell differentiation during embryogenesis to understand how to utilise ESCs to provide "material" for regenerative medicine. By investigating mechanisms such as shear stress and the role it plays in morphogenesis, we might learn how to control and direct the fate of ESCs. I am also trying to use umbilical cord blood (UCBs) stem cells as a readily available source of cells as a simple model for determining how to control differentiation and to achieve primitive organogenesis. In keeping with my interest in human IVF, I am also trying to make artificial eggs and sperm from ESCs and UCBs,
I am currently studying for my MAEd here at UCL. I effectively have a PGCE (HE) from completing the core modules and feel my time spent in CALT has made me a much better teacher. My dissertation is on "Public Engagement in HE". I have been the acting Module leader of ANAT 2099, Ethics in Biomedicine. Teaching is an important part of university life, which I enjoy greatly. I am interested in student centred teaching, which is how I like to practise. Currently, in particular I am researching into how to implement peer assessment in HE. I became FHEA in 2008.
- Tan A, Sumpio BE, Lee S, Seifalian AM (2010). The implications of human stem cell differentiation to endothelial cell via fluid shear stress in cardiovascular regenerative medicine: a review.. Curr Pharm Des, 16(34), 3848 - 3861.
- Delgado-Alves J, RadwayBright E, Lee S, Grima B, Hothersall J, Ravirajan C, Isenberg D (2005). Antiphospholipid antibodies are induced by in vitro fertilization and correlate with paraoxonase activity and total antioxidant capacity of plasma in infertile women. Lupus, 14(5), 373 - 380.
- Lee S (2003). Myths and reality in male infertility. In Haynes J, Miller J (Ed.), Inconceivable conceptions (pp. - ). : Routledge.
- Radway-Bright EL, Lee S, Isenberg D, Kalsi T, Homa S (1999). Is the presence of antiphospholipid antibodies meaningful in a group of patients randomly selected from those receiving IVF treatment. HUM REPROD, 14, 300 - 301.
- Glavinović MI, Lee S, Miledi R (1989). Reappearance of miniature endplate potentials in frog neuromuscular junctions "silenced" by lanthanum ions.. Neuroscience, 31(1), 181 - 186.
- Ruzzier F, Lee S, Dryden WF, Miledi R (1988). In vitro reinnervation of adult rat muscle fibres by foreign neurons and transformed chromaffin PC12 cells.. Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci, 234(1274), 1 - 9.
- Lee S (1987). Membrane properties in preimplantation mouse embryos.. J In Vitro Fert Embryo Transf, 4(6), 331 - 333.
- Lee S, Gilula NB, Warner AE (1987). Gap junctional communication and compaction during preimplantation stages of mouse development.. Cell, 51(5), 851 - 860.
- warner BLM (). Reduced gap junctional communication is associated with the lethal condition characteristic of DDK mouse eggs. Development, , - .
- (). Counselling in male infertility.