Dr Nicolas Daudet
In birds and cold-blood vertebrates, sensory hair cells of the inner ear spontaneously regenerate following tissue damage, but in mammals this ability has been lost. Why? And could we use regeneration in the human ear to treat certain forms of deafness?
Research in my lab focuses on the molecular mechanisms of sensory hair cell development and regeneration, and the roles of the Notch signalling pathway in these processes. Ongoing projects include the dynamic analysis of Notch activity during hair cell formation and regeneration in the chicken inner ear, and the identification of genes and signalling pathways interacting with Notch signalling during inner ear development.
Intracellular and intercellular signalling mechanisms in health and disease
Molecular mechanisms of inner ear development and regeneration
Dr Jonathan Gale; Prof Michael Duchen; Dr Sally Dawson
- Taylor R, Bullen A, Johnson SL, Grimm-Günter EM, Rivero F, Marcotti W, Forge A, Daudet N (2014). Absence of plastin 1 causes abnormal maintenance of hair cell stereocilia and a moderate form of hearing loss in mice.. Hum Mol Genet, , - . doi:10.1093/hmg/ddu417
- Freeman SD, Daudet N (2012). Artificial induction of Sox21 regulates sensory cell formation in the embryonic chicken inner ear.. PLoS One, 7(10), e46387 - . doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0046387
- Chrysostomou E, Gale JE, Daudet N (2012). Delta-like 1 and lateral inhibition during hair cell formation in the chicken inner ear: evidence against cis-inhibition.. Development, 139(20), 3764 - 3774. doi:10.1242/dev.074476
- Mistrík P, Daudet N, Morandell K, Ashmore JF (2012). Mammalian prestin is a weak Cl⁻/HCO₃⁻ electrogenic antiporter.. J Physiol, 590(Pt 22), 5597 - 5610. doi:10.1113/jphysiol.2012.241448
- Freeman S, Chrysostomou E, Kawakami K, Takahashi Y, Daudet N (2012). Tol2-mediated gene transfer and in ovo electroporation of the otic placode: a powerful and versatile approach for investigating embryonic development and regeneration of the chicken inner ear.. Methods Mol Biol, 916, 127 - 139. doi:10.1007/978-1-61779-980-8_10
- Bird JE, Daudet N, Warchol ME, Gale JE (2010). Supporting cells eliminate dying sensory hair cells to maintain epithelial integrity in the avian inner ear.. J Neurosci, 30(37), 12545 - 12556. doi:10.1523/JNEUROSCI.3042-10.2010
- Daudet N, Gibson R, Shang J, Bernard A, Lewis J, Stone J (2009). Notch regulation of progenitor cell behaviour in quiescent and regenerating auditory epithelium of mature birds.. Developmental Biology, Feb 1:326(1), 86 - 100. doi:10.1016/j.ydbio.2008.10.033
- Freeman S, Daudet N (2009). The role of the transcription factor Sox21 in the developing chick inner ear. doi:10.1016/j.mod.2009.06.898
- Chrysostomou E, Gale J, Daudet N (2009). Investigating the dynamics of Notch signalling in the embryonic chick inner ear using a reporter-based approach. doi:10.1016/j.mod.2009.06.594
- Daudet N, Ariza-McNaughton L, Lewis J (2007). Notch signalling is needed to maintain, but not to initiate, the formation of prosensory patches in the chick inner ear. Development, 134(12), 2369 - 2378. doi:10.1242/dev.001842
- Daudet N, Lewis J (2005). Two contrasting roles for Notch activity in chick inner ear development: specification of prosensory patches and lateral inhibition of hair-cell differentiation.. Development, 132(3), 541 - 551. doi:10.1242/dev.01589
- Bermange A, Daudet N, Leslie J, Brooker R, Lewis J (2005). An early role for Notch signaling during development of the zebrafish inner ear..
- Daudet N, Ripoll C, Moles JP, Rebillard G (2002). Expression of members of Wnt and Frizzled gene families in the postnatal rat cochlea.. Brain Res Mol Brain Res, 105(1-2), 98 - 107.
- Daudet N, Ripoll C, Lenoir M (2002). Transforming growth factor-alpha-induced cellular changes in organotypic cultures of juvenile, amikacin treated rat organ of corti.. The Journal of Comparative Neurology, 442(1), 6 - 22. doi:10.1002/cne.1418
- Daudet N, Lebart MC (2002). Transient expression of the t-isoform of plastins/fimbrin in the stereocilia of developing autitory hair cells.. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton, 12(4), 326 - 336. doi:10.1002/cm.10092
- Lenoir M, Daudet N, Parietti C, Humbert G, Ripoll C, Gallego M, Pujol R, Vago P (2000). [Regenerative potential in the organ of Corti after otic intoxication].. J Soc Biol, 194(3-4), 159 - 164.
- Parietti C, Daudet N, Lenor M, Vago P (2000). Morphological and molecular changes in the mammalian cochlea after sensory hair cell losses (vol 42, pg 86, 2000). CYTOMETRY, 41(2), 152 - 152.
- Lenoir M, Daudet N, Humbert G, Renard N, Gallego M, Pujol R, Eybalin M, Vago P (1999). Morphological and molecular changes in the inner hair cell region of the rat cochlea after amikacin treatment.. J Neurocytol, 28(10-11), 925 - 937.
- Vago P, Parietti C, Daudet N, Humbert G, Gallégo M, Pujol R, Lenoir M (1999). [Regenerative potential of the sensory epithelium of the mammalian organ of Corti after poisoning with ototoxic antibiotics].. Morphologie, 83(262), 9 - 12.
- Daudet N, Vago P, Ripoll C, Humbert G, Pujol R, Lenoir M (1998). Characterization of atypical cells in the juvenile rat organ of corti after aminoglycoside ototoxicity.. J Comp Neurol, 401(2), 145 - 162.