Prof John Carroll
How does an oocyte develop and then make the transition into a viable embryo? This is the basic question that research in our lab is aimed at understanding. To tackle this problem we use techniques in cell and molecular biology combined with live cell imaging to understand the processes that underlie oocyte and embryo development.
Moving from the earliest stages to the latest, the specific problems we are working on in the laboratory include:
1. What determes the number of primordial follicles that form in the ovary?
2. The initiation of oocyte growth.
3. The control and role of mitochondrial fission, migration and metabolism during oocyte growth and maturation.
4. Control of the meiotic cell cycle and assymmetric cell division.
5. Role of signalling in cell proliferation and cell death in the preimplantation embryo.
6. Development of optimal culture conditions for oocytes and embryos.
Laboratory for oocyte and embryo development
Oocyte and Embryo Biology
Dr Greg Fitzharris
- Nabti I, Marangos P, Bormann J, Kudo NR, Carroll J (2014). Dual-mode regulation of the APC/C by CDK1 and MAPK controls meiosis I progression and fidelity.. J Cell Biol, 204(6), 891 - 900. doi:10.1083/jcb.201305049
- Dalton CM, Szabadkai G, Carroll J (2014). Measurement of ATP in Single Oocytes: Impact of Maturation and Cumulus Cells on Levels and Consumption. Journal of Cellular Physiology, 222(3), 353 - 361. doi:10.1002/jcp.24457
- Dehapiot B, Carriere V, Carroll J, Halet G (2013). Polarized Cdc42 activation promotes polar body protrusion and asymmetric division in mouse oocytes. DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY, 377(1), 202 - 212. doi:10.1016/j.ydbio.2013.01.029
- Dalton CM, Carroll J (2013). Biased inheritance of mitochondria during asymmetric cell division in the mouse oocyte.. J Cell Sci, 126(Pt 13), 2955 - 2964. doi:10.1242/jcs.128744
- Marangos P, Carroll J (2012). Oocytes progress beyond prophase in the presence of DNA damage.. Curr Biol, 22(11), 989 - 994. doi:10.1016/j.cub.2012.03.063
- Nabti I, Carroll J (2011). MPF and MAPK are required for inhibiting premature destruction of the APC D-box substrates in mouse oocytes..
- Dumollard R, Carroll J, Duchen MR, Campbell K, Swann K (2009). Mitochondrial function and redox state in mammalian embryos.. Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology, 20(3), 346 - 353.
- Homer H, Gui L, Carroll J (2009). A spindle assembly checkpoint protein functions in prophase I arrest and prometaphase progression.. Science, 326(5955), 991 - 994. doi:10.1126/science.1175326
- Dumollard R, Campbell K, Halet G, Carroll J, Swann K (2008). Regulation of cytosolic and mitochondrial ATP levels in mouse eggs and zygotes. Developmental Biology, 316(2), 431 - 440. doi:10.1016/j.ydbio.2008.02.004
- Halet G, Viard P, Carroll J (2008). Constitutive PtdIns(3,4,5)P3 synthesis promotes the development and survival of early mammalian embryos.. Development, 135(3), 425 - 429. doi:10.1242/dev.014894
- Marangos P, Carroll J (2008). Securin regulates entry into M-phase by modulating the stability of cyclin B.
- Webb RJ, Tinworth L, Thomas GM, Zaccolo M, Carroll J (2008). Developmentally acquired PKA localisation in mouse oocytes and embryos. Developmental Biology, 317(1), 36 - 45. doi:10.1016/j.ydbio.2008.01.045
- Dumollard R, Duchen M, Carroll J (2007). The role of mitochondrial function in the oocyte and embryo.. Current Topics in Developmental Biology, 77, 21 - 49.
- Dumollard R, Ward Z, Carroll J, Duchen MR (2007). Regulation of redox metabolism in the mouse oocyte and embryo. Development, 134(3), 455 - 465.
- Marangos P, Verschuren EW, Chen R, Jackson PK, Carroll J (2007). Prophase I arrest and progression to metaphase I in mouse oocytes are controlled by Emi1-dependent regulation of APCCdh1. The Journal of Cell Biology, 176(1), 65 - 75. doi:10.1083/jcb.200607070
- Halet G, Carroll J (2007). Rac activity is polarized and regulates meiotic spindle stability and anchoring in Mammalian oocytes. Developmental Cell, 12(2), 309 - 17. doi:10.1016/j.devcel.2006.12.010
- Fitzharris G, Marangos P, Carroll J (2007). Changes in endoplasmic reticulum structure during mouse oocyte maturation are controlled by the cytoskeleton and cytoplasmic dynein. Developmental Biology, 305(1), 133 - 144. doi:10.1016/j.ydbio.2007.02.006
- Rogers NT, Halet G, Piao Y, Carroll J, Ko MS, Swann K (2006). The absence of a Ca(2+) signal during mouse egg activation can affect parthenogenetic preimplantation development, gene expression patterns, and blastocyst quality. Reproduction, 132(1), 45 - 57. doi:10.1530/rep.1.01059
- Dumollard R, Z C, J D, M R (2006). Regulation of redox metabolism in the mouse oocyte and embryo. Development, , - . doi:10.1242/dev.02744
- Fitzharris DG, Larman M, Richards C, Carroll J (2005). An increase in [Ca2+]i is sufficient but not necessary for driving mitosis in early mouse embryos. Journal of Cell Science, 118, 4563 - 4575. doi:10.1242/jcs.02586
- Carroll J, FitzHarris G, Marangos P, Halet G (2004). Ca2+ signalling and cortical re-organisation during the transition from meiosis to mitosis in mammalian oocytes.. European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, 115(1), S61 - S67. doi:10.1016/j.ejogrb.2004.01.024
- Dumollard R, Marangos P, Fitzharris G, Swann K, Duchen M, Carroll J (2004). Sperm-triggered [Ca2+] oscillations and Ca2+ homeostasis in the mouse egg have an absolute requirement for mitochondrial ATP production.. Development, 131(13), 3057 - 3067. doi:10.1242/dev.01181
- Larman MG, Saunders CM, Carroll J, Lai FA, Swann K (2004). Cell cycle-dependent Ca2+ oscillations in mouse embryos are regulated by nuclear targeting of PLCzeta.. J Cell Sci, 117(Pt 12), 2513 - 2521. doi:10.1242/jcs.01109
- Marangos P, Carroll J (2004). Fertilization and InsP3-induced Ca2+ release stimulate a persistent increase in the rate of degradation of cyclin B1 specifically in mature mouse oocytes.. Developmental Biology, 272(1), 26 - 38. doi:10.1016/j.ydbio.2004.04.012
- Marangos P, Carroll J (2004). The dynamics of cyclin B1 distribution during meiosis I in mouse oocytes.. Reproduction, 128(2), 153 - 162. doi:10.1530/rep.1.00192
- Larman MG, Saunders CM, Carroll J, Lai FA, Swann K (2004). Cell cycle-dependent Ca2+ oscillations in mouse embryos are regulated by nuclear targeting of PLCz. Journal of Cell Science, 117(12), 2513 - 2521. doi:10.1242/10.1242/jcs.01109
- Halet G, Tunwell R, Parkinson SJ, Carroll J (2004). Conventional PKCs regulate the temporal pattern of Ca2+ oscillations at fertilization in mouse eggs.. The Journal of Cell Biology, 164(7), 1033 - 1044. doi:10.1083/jcb.200311023
- Carroll J (2004). Getting focused on Reproduction. REPRODUCTION, 127(4), 407 - 408.
- Carroll J (2004). Getting focused on reproduction. Focus on fertilization.. Reproduction, 127(4), 407 - 408. doi:10.1530/rep.1.00209
- Halet G, Marangos P, Fitzharris G, Carroll J (2003). Ca2+ oscillations at fertilization in mammals. Biochemical Society Transactions, 31(5), 907 - 911.
- Halet G, Marangos P, Fitzharris G, Carroll J (2003). Ca2+ oscillations at fertilization in mammals.. Biochem Soc Trans, 31(Pt 5), 907 - 911.
- Halet G, Tunwell R, Carroll J (2003). Imaging PIP2 dynamics and PKC activation at fertilization.
- FitzHarris DG, Marangos P, Carroll J (2003). Cell cycle-dependent regulation of structure of endoplasmic reticulum and inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate-induced Ca2+ release in mouse oocytes and embryos.. Molecular Biology of the Cell, 14(1), 288 - 301. doi:10.1091/mbc.E02-07-0431
- Marangos P, Fitzharris G, Carroll J (2003). Ca2+ oscillations at fertilization in mammals are regulated by the formation of pronuclei. Development, 130(7), 1461 - 1472.
- Webb RJ, Bains H, Cruttwell C, Carroll J (2002). Gap-junctional communication in mouse cumulus-oocyte complexes: implications for the mechanism of meiotic maturation. Reproduction, 123(1), 41 - 52.
- McLay DW, Carroll J, Clarke HJ (2002). The ability to develop an activity that transfers histones onto sperm chromatin is acquired with meiotic competence during oocyte growth. DEV BIOL, 241(1), 195 - 206. doi:10.1006/dbio.2001.0499
- Webb RJ, Marshall F, Swann K, Carroll J (2002). Follicle-stimulating hormone induces a gap junction-dependent dynamic change in cAMP and protein kinase A in mammalian oocytes. Developmental Biology, 246(2), 441 - 454.
- Halet G, Tunwell R, Balla T, Swann K, Carroll J (2002). The dynamics of plasma membrane PtdIns(4,5)P(2) at fertilization of mouse eggs. Journal of Cell Science, 115, 2139 - 2149.
- Dumollard R, Carroll J, Dupont G, Sardet C (2002). Calcium wave pacemakers in eggs. Journal of Cell Science, 115(18), 3557 - 3564.
- Carroll J (2001). The initiation and regulation of Ca2+ signalling at fertilization in mammals. Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology, 12(1), 37 - 43.
- Clarke HJ, Carroll J, McLay DW (2001). The ability of murine oocytes to assemble histones onto sperm chromatin is acquired coincident with meiotic competence and may involve Ca2+-regulated mechanisms.. BIOL REPROD, 64, 294 - 295.
- Carroll J (2000). Na+-Ca2+ exchange in mouse oocytes: modifications in the regulation of intracellular free Ca2+ during oocyte maturation . Journal of Reproduction and Fertility, 118(2), 337 - 342.
- Brind S, Swann K, Carroll J (2000). Inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptors are downregulated in mouse oocytes in response to sperm or adenophostin A but not to increases in intracellular Ca2+ or egg activation . Developmental Biology, 223(2), 251 - 265.
- Bao S, Obata Y, Carroll J, Domeki I, Kono T (2000). Epigenetic modifications necessary for normal development are established during oocyte growth in mice. Biology of Reproduction, 62(3), 616 - 621.
- Carroll J (2000). Na+-Ca2+ exchange in mouse oocytes: modifications in the regulation of intracellular free Ca2+ during oocyte maturation.. J Reprod Fertil, 118(2), 337 - 342.
- Cheung A, Swann K, Carroll J (2000). The ability to generate normal Ca2+ transients in response to spermatozoa develops during the final stages of oocyte growth and maturation. Human Reproduction, 15(6), 1389 - 1395.
- Witton CJ, Swann K, Carroll J, Moore HDM (1999). Injection of a boar sperm factor causes calcium oscillations in oocytes of the marsupial opossum, Monodelphis domestica. ZYGOTE, 7(4), 271 - 277.
- Merriman J, Whittingham DG, Carroll J (1998). The effects of follicle stimulating hormone and epidermal growth factor on the developmental capacity of in vitro matured mouse oocytes. Human Reproduction, 13, 690 - 695.
- Parrington J, Brind S, De Smedt H, Gangeswaran R, Lai AF, Wojcikiewicz R, Carroll J (1998). Expression of inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptors in mouse oocytes and early embryos: the type I isoform is upregulated in oocytes and downregulated after fertilization. Developmental Biology, 203, 451 - 461.
- Carroll J, Parrington J, Gangeswaran R, De Smedt H, Lai FA (1997). Expression of inositol 1,4,5-trisphospate receptor mRNA and protein in mouse oocytes and embyros.
- Wilton C, Moore HDM, Swann K, Carroll J (1997). Intracellular calcium release in the oocyte of Monodelphis domesticata.
- Bains H, Cruttwell C, Carroll J (1997). ATP stimulates an increase in [Ca2+]i in mouse cumulus -oocyte complexes.
- Carroll J (1996). Development of oocyte banks and systems for the in-vitro development of oocytes: future directions for the treatment of infertility.. Hum Reprod, 11 Suppl 1, 159 - 168.
- Swann K, Homa S, Carroll J (1994). An inside job: the results of injecting whole sperm into eggs supports one view of signal transduction at fertilization.. Hum Reprod, 9(6), 978 - 980.