Dr Helen Birch
Significant advances in the understanding of the pathobiology of tendon degeneration in relation to exercise and ageing of specific tendons. This work has identified a naturally occurring model of tendon degeneration in the racehorse. Interactions between mechanical environment and tenocyte metabolism in relation to control of molecular composition of matrix are being applied to tissue engineering of tendon contructs.
Functional adaptation of the musculoskeletal system and its application to Pathobiology of the skeleton
Tendon and Ligament Biology
Prof Nora De Leeuw; Prof Gordon Blunn; Dr Jia Hua; Prof Allen Goodship
- Birch HL (2013). NCAS performance assessment is seriously flawed.. BMJ, 346, f2775 - .
- Birch HL (2013). AFTER FRANCIS, WHAT NEXT FOR THE NHS? NCAS performance assessment is seriously flawed. BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL, 346, - . doi:10.1136/bmj.f2775
- Thorpe CT, Birch HL, Clegg PD, Screen HR (2012). THE MICRO-STRUCTURAL RESPONSE OF TENDON FASCICLES TO APPLIED MAIN IS ALTERED WITH AGEING.
- Thorpe CT, Clegg PD, Birch HL (2010). A review of tendon injury: why is the equine superficial digital flexor tendon most at risk?. Equine Vet J, 42(2), 174 - 180. doi:10.2746/042516409X480395
- Thorpe CT, Stark RJF, Goodship AE, Birch HL (2010). Mechanical properties of the equine superficial digital flexor tendon relate to specific collagen cross-link levels. EQUINE VET J, 42, 538 - 543. doi:10.1111/j.2042-3306.2010.00175.x
- Thorpe CT, Streeter I, Pinchbeck GL, Goodship AE, Clegg PD, Birch HL (2010). Aspartic acid racemization and collagen degradation markers reveal an accumulation of damage in tendon collagen that is enhanced with aging.. J Biol Chem, 285(21), 15674 - 15681. doi:10.1074/jbc.M109.077503
- Thorpe CT, Goodship AE, Clegg PD, Birch HL (2009). Matrix ageing in functionally distinct equine tendons.
- Birch HL, Worboys S, Eissa S, Strassburg S, Clegg PD (2008). Matrix metabolism differs in functionally distinct tendons. Matrix Biology, 27, 182 - 189.
- Kasashima Y, Takahashi T, Birch HL, Smith RKG, A E (2008). Can exercise modulate the maturation of functionally different immature tendons in the horse?. Journal of Applied Physiology, 104, 416 - 422.
- Birch HL, Wilson , Goodship AM, A E (2008). Physical activity: Does long term high intensity exercise in horses result in tendon degeneration?. Journal of Applied Physiology, (105), 1927 - 1933.
- Cambrey AD, Seumenicht O, Birch HL, Brown RA (2007). Non-invasive monitoring of tendon matrix structure.
- Birch HL (2007). Tendon matrix composition and turnover in relation to functional requirements.. International Journal of Experimental Pathology, 88(4), 241 - 248.
- Rumian AP, Wallace AL, Birch HL (2007). Tendons and ligaments are anatomically distinct but overlap in molecular and morphological features--a comparative study in an ovine model.. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 25(4), 458 - 464. doi:10.1002/jor.20218
- Birch HL, Smith TJ, Draper ER, Bailey AJ, Avery NC, Goodship AE (2006). Collagen crosslink profile relates to tendon material properties. doi:10.1016/j.matbio.2006.08.204
- Wiseman MA, Birch HL, Akmal M, Goodship AE (2005). Segmental variation in the in vitro cell metabolism of nucleus pulposus cells isolated from a series of bovine caudal intervertebral discs.. Spine, 30(5), 505 - 511. doi:10.1097/01.brs.0000154615.22311.66
- Edwards LJ, Goodship AE, Birch HL, Patterson-Kane JC (2005). Effect of exercise on age-related changes in collagen fibril diameter distributions in the common digital extensor tendons of young horses.. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 66(4), 564 - 568.
- Eissa SZS, Faram T, Birch HL (2005). Ageing results in an increase in specific MMP levels in digital tendons.
- Mudera V, Seumenicht O, Birch H, Kayser M, Brown RA (2005). Non-destructive quantitative monitoring of tendon structure: study of normal mechanical response to load and changes caused by pathology.
- Goodship AE, Birch HL (2005). Cross sectional area measurement of tendon and ligament in vitro: a simple, rapid, non-destructive technique.. Journal of Biomechanics, 38(3), 605 - 608. doi:10.1016/j.jbiomech.2004.05.003
- Kostyuk O, Birch HL, Mudera V, Brown RA (2004). Structural changes in loaded equine tendons can be monitored by a novel spectroscopic technique.. The Journal of Physiology, 554(3), 791 - 801. doi:10.1113/jphysiol.2003.054809
- Kostyuk O, Birch HL, Mudera V, Brown RA (2004). Structural changes in loaded equine tendons can be monitored by a novel spectroscopic technique. J PHYSIOL-LONDON, 554(3), 791 - 801. doi:10.1113/physiol.2004.054809
- Batson EL, Paramour RJ, Smith TJ, Birch HL, Patterson-Kane JC, Goodship AE (2003). Are the material properties and matrix composition of equine flexor and extensor tendons determined by their functions?. Equine Veterinary Journal, 35(3), 314 - 318.
- Kasashima Y, Smith RK, Birch HL, Takahashi T, Kusano K, Goodship AE (2002). Exercise-induced tendon hypertrophy: cross-sectional area changes during growth are influenced by exercise.. Equine Veterinary Journal, (34), 264 - 268.
- Birch HL, Smith TJ, Poulton C, Peiffer D, Goodship AE (2002). Do regional variations in flexor tendons predispose to site-specific injuries?. Equine Veterinary Journal, (34), 288 - 292.
- Smith RK, Birch HL, Goodman S, Heinegard D, Goodship AE (2002). The influence of ageing and exercise on tendon growth and degeneration--hypotheses for the initiation and prevention of strain-induced tendinopathies.. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part A: Molecular and Integrative Physiology, 133(4), 1039 - 1050.
- Smith RK, Gerard M, Dowling B, Dart AJ, Birch HL, Goodship AE (2002). Correlation of cartilage oligomeric matrix protein (COMP) levels in equine tendon with mechanical properties: a proposed role for COMP in determining function-specific mechanical characteristics of locomotor tendons.. Equine Veterinary Journal, (34), 241 - 244.
- Murray RC, Birch HL, Lakhani K, Goodship AE (2001). Biochemical composition of equine carpal articular cartilage is influenced by short-term exercise in a site-specific manner.. Osteoarthritis Cartilage, 9(7), 625 - 632.
- Murray RC, Vedi S, Birch HL, Lakhani KH, Goodship AE (2001). Subchondral bone thickness, hardness and remodelling are influenced by short-term exercise in a site-specific manner.. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 19(6), 1035 - 1042.
- Birch HL, Bailey JV, Bailey AJ, Goodship AE (1999). Age-related changes to the molecular and cellular components of equine flexor tendons.. Equine Veterinary Journal, 31(5), 391 - 396.
- Birch HL, McLaughlin L, Smith RK, Goodship AE (1999). Treadmill exercise-induced tendon hypertrophy: assessment of tendons with different mechanical functions.. Equine Veterinary Journal, 30, 222 - 226.
- Smith RK, Birch H, Patterson-Kane J, Firth EC, Williams L, Cherdchutham W, van Weeren WR, Goodship AE (1999). Should equine athletes commence training during skeletal development?: changes in tendon matrix associated with development, ageing, function and exercise.. Equine Veterinary Journal, 30, 201 - 209.
- Firth EC, Delahunt J, Wichtel JW, Birch HL, Goodship AE (1999). Galloping exercise induces regional changes in bone density within the third and radial carpal bones of Thoroughbred horses.. Equine Veterinary Journal, 31(2), 111 - 115.
- Birch HL, Bailey AJ, Goodship AE (1998). Macroscopic 'degeneration' of equine superficial digital flexor tendon is accompanied by a change in extracellular matrix composition.. Equine Veterinary Journal, 30(6), 534 - 539.
- Birch HL, Wilson AM, Goodship AE (1997). The effect of exercise-induced localised hyperthermia on tendon cell survival. Journal of Experimental Biology, 200, 1703 - 1708.
- Flannery CR, Hughes CE, Little CB, Birch HL, Goodship AE, Caterson BC (1997). Expression of matrix metalloproteinases and aggrecanase activity in articular joints from thoroughbred racehorses in a short term training study. TRANS ORTHOP RES SOC, 22, 455 - 455.
- Birch HL, Rutter GA, Goodship AE (1997). Oxidative energy metabolism in equine tendon cells. RES VET SCI, 62, 93 - 97.
- Boyde A, Jones SJ, Radcliffe R, Arora M, Birch HL, Wilson AM, Goodship AE, Riggs CM (1997). Non-explosive fracture in a cannon bone: A case report.
- Patterson-Kane JC, Firth EC, Goodship AE, Parry DA (1997). An age-related study of morphology and crosslink composition of collagen fibrils in the digital flexor tendons of young thoroughbred horses. Connective Tissue Research, 36, 253 - 260.
- Flannery CR, Hughes CE, Little CB, Birch HL, Goodship AE, Caterson B (1997). Expression of matrix metalloproteinases and aggrecanase activity in articular joints from thoroughbred racehorses in a short term training study.
- Miles CA, Fursey GA, Birch HL, Young RD (1996). Factors affecting the ultrasonic properties of equine digital flexor tendons.. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, 22(7), 907 - 915.
- Miles CA, Wardale RJ, Birch HL, Bailey AJ (1994). Differential scanning calorimetric studies of superficial digital flexor tendon degeneration in the horse.. Equine Veterinary Journal, 26(4), 291 - 296.
- Goodship AE, Birch HL, Wilson AM (1994). The pathobiology and repair of tendon and ligament injury.. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Equine Practice, 10(2), 323 - 349.