Dr Helen Bedford
Helen's research programme focusses on a variety of child health issues. However, her main research focus is childhood immunisation particularly the determinants of vaccine uptake. She has conducted studies among parents and health professionals and used data based on the Millennium Cohort study. This research has informed national and local policy and practice.
Helen is chair of the Personal Child Health Record group. This multi-disciplinary group is hosted by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health and oversees the development and content of the National Standard PCHR or red book. The red book is issued to parents for all new babies in the UK. Helen has also led studies looking at parents' use and views of the PCHR. In her capacity as chair of the PCHR committee, she was invited to join the RCPCH group convened to develop new growth charts based on data gathered by the World Health Organization. These charts (UK-WHO) were launched in 2009. Helen is now a member of the group developing new growth charts for older aged children (aged 4-18 years) which are due to be launched in 2012/13.
Personal Child Health Records
Helen is a director of the MSc in Paediatrics and Child Health based at UCL Institute of Child Health. She organises a number of the modules on this masters course which are focussed on community child health. Helen also teaches UCL medical students and students on the IBSc in Paediatrics.
Helen Bedford also contributes to teaching and training on immunisation in PCTs, Great Ormond Street Hospital and other courses and conferences. She co-edited a module on immunisation for the health child e-learning programme developed by the RCPCH. (e-lfh.org.uk/healthychild)
- Brocklebank R, Bedford H, Griffiths LJ (2014). Social determinants of parent-child interaction in the UK. CHILD CARE HEALTH AND DEVELOPMENT, 40(4), 472 - 480. doi:10.1111/cch.12090
- Bedford H (2014). The UK child and adolescent immunisation programme: An update. Community Practitioner, 87(9), 43 - 45.
- McQuaid F, Jones C, Stevens Z, Plumb J, Hughes R, Bedford H, Heath PT, Snape MD (2014). Attitudes towards vaccination against group B streptococcus in pregnancy. ARCHIVES OF DISEASE IN CHILDHOOD, 99(7), 700 - U104. doi:10.1136/archdischild-2013-305716
- Bedford H (2014). Pro-vaccine messages may be counterproductive among vaccine-hesitant parents.. Evid Based Med, , - . doi:10.1136/ebmed-2014-110037
- Hilton S, Patterson C, Smith E, Bedford H, Hunt K (2013). Teenagers' understandings of and attitudes towards vaccines and vaccine-preventable diseases: A qualitative study. Vaccine, 31(22), 2543 - 2550.
- Bedford H (2013). The truth behind the MMR headlines.. J Fam Health Care, 23(4), 6 - 8.
- Elliman D, Bedford H (2013). Should the UK introduce compulsory vaccination?. LANCET, 381(9876), 1434 - 1436. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(13)60907-1
- Pearce A, Mindlin M, Cortina-Borja M, Bedford H (2013). Characteristics of 5-year-olds who catch-up with MMR: findings from the UK Millennium Cohort Study.. BMJ Open, 3(7), - . doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2013-003152
- Hilton S, Patterson C, Smith E, Bedford H, Hunt K (2013). Teenagers' understandings of and attitudes towards vaccines and vaccine-preventable diseases: A qualitative study. Vaccine, , - .
- Tookey PA, Bedford H, Peckham CS (2013). Act now to prevent re-emergence of congenital rubella.. BMJ, 347, f4498 - .
- Pearce A, Cortina-Borja M, Mindlin M, Bedford H (2013). Characteristics of 5-year-olds who catch up with the combined measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine: findings from a contemporary UK cohort.
- Pearce A, Li L, Abbas J, Ferguson B, Graham H, Law C, Millennium Cohort Study Child Health G (2012). Childcare use and inequalities in breastfeeding: findings from the UK Millennium Cohort Study. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 97, 39 - 42.
- Bedford HE (2012). The Great Ormond Street Hospital Manual of Children's Nursing Practices. In Macqueen S, Bruce E, Gibson F (Ed.), The Great Ormond Street Hospital Manual of Children's Nursing Practices (pp. 223 - 235). : Wiley-Blackwell.
- Viner RM, Booy R, Johnson H, Edmunds WJ, Hudson L, Bedford H, Kaczmarski E, Rajput K, Ramsay M, Christie D (2012). Outcomes of invasive meningococcal serogroup B disease in children and adolescents (MOSAIC): a case-control study.. Lancet Neurol, 11(9), 774 - 783. doi:10.1016/S1474-4422(12)70180-1
- Leask J, Kinnersley P, Jackson C, Cheater F, Bedford H, Rowles G (2012). Communicating with parents about vaccination: a framework for health professionals. BMC Pediatr, 12, 154 - . doi:10.1186/1471-2431-12-154
- Sachs M, Sharp L, Bedford H, Wright CM (2012). 'Now I understand': consulting parents on chart design and parental information for the UK-WHO child growth charts.. Child Care Health Dev, 38(3), 435 - 440. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2214.2011.01256.x
- Elliman DAC, Bedford HE (2011). MMR vaccination and egg allergy Refer children with a previous serious reaction to an expert. BRIT MED J, 343, - . doi:10.1136/bmj.d5779
- Bedford H (2011). "We can consign this nasty infection to the history books".. Nurs Times, 107(29), 13 - .
- Hilton S, Hunt K, Bedford H, Petticrew M (2011). School nurses' experiences of delivering the UK HPV vaccination programme in its first year. BMC INFECTIOUS DISEASES, 11, - . doi:10.1186/1471-2334-11-226
- Hilton S, Hunt K, Langan M, Bedford H, Petticrew M (2010). Newsprint media representations of the introduction of the HPV vaccination programme for cervical cancer prevention in the UK (2005-2008). Soc Sci Med, 70(6), 942 - 950. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2009.11.027
- Bedford HE, Elliman DAC (2010). MMR vaccine and autism. BRIT MED J, 340, - . doi:10.1136/bmj.c655
- Redsell SA, Bedford H, Siriwardena AN, Collier J, Atkinson P (2010). Health visitors’ perception of their role in the universal childhood immunisation programme and their communication strategies with parents. Primary Health Care Research & Development, 11(01), 51 - 60. doi:10.1017/S1463423609990284
- Pearce A, Li L, Abbas J, Ferguson B, Graham H, Law C, Millennium Cohort Study Child Health Group (2010). Does childcare influence socioeconomic inequalities in unintentional injury? Findings from the UK Millennium Cohort Study.. J Epidemiol Community Health, 64(2), 161 - 166. doi:10.1136/jech.2009.092643
- Manikkavasagan G, Dezateux C, Wade A, Bedford H (2010). The epidemiology of chickenpox in UK 5-year olds: an analysis to inform vaccine policy.. Vaccine, 28(48), 7699 - 7705. doi:10.1016/j.vaccine.2010.09.017
- Wright CM, Williams AF, Elliman D, Bedford H, Birks E, Butler G, Sachs M, Moy RJ, Cole TJ (2010). Practice Pointer Using the new UK-WHO growth charts. BRIT MED J, 340, - . doi:10.1136/bmj.c1140
- Hilton S, Bedford H, Calnan M, Hunt K (2009). Competency, confidence and conflicting evidence: key issues affecting health visitors' use of research evidence in practice. BMC Nurs, 8, 4 - . doi:10.1186/1472-6955-8-4
- Chin RFM, Neville BGR, Peckham C, Wade A, Bedford H, Scott RC (2009). Socioeconomic deprivation independent of ethnicity increases status epilepticus risk. Epilepsia, 50(5), 1022 - 1029.
- Hawkins SS, Pearce A, Cole TJ, Law C, Dezateux C, Peckham C, Bedford H, Rahi J, Griffiths LJ, Cumberland P, Bartington S (2009). Perceived and objective measures of the neighbourhood environment and overweight in preschool children and their mothers. Int J Pediatr Obes, 4(3), 183 - 192.
- Pearce A, Law C, Bedford H, Elliman D (2009). Does primary immunisation status predict MMR uptake?. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 94(1), 49 - 51. doi:10.1136/adc.2007.132647
- Pearce A, Law C, Elliman D, Cole TJ, Bedford H (2008). Factors associated with uptake of measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine (MMR) and use of single antigen vaccines in a contemporary UK cohort: prospective cohort study. BMJ, 336(7647), 754 - 757.
- Pearce A, Elliman D, Bedford H, Law C (2008). Residential mobility and uptake of childhood immunisations: Findings from the UK Millennium Cohort Study. Vaccine, , - .
- Chin RFM, Neville BGR, Peckham C, Wade A, Bedford H, Scott RC (2008). Treatment of community-onset, childhood convulsive status epilepticus: a prospective, population-based study. The Lancet Neurology, 7(8), 696 - 703.
- Elliman DA, Bedford HE (2007). MMR: Where are we now?. Arch.Dis.Child, , - .
- Raspall-Chaure M, Chin RF, Neville BG, Bedford H, Scott RC (2007). The epidemiology of convulsive status epilepticus in children: a critical review.. Epilepsia, 48(9), 1652 - 1663. doi:10.1111/j.1528-1167.2007.01175.x
- Elliman DAC, Bedford H (2006). Health and social care service changes: the potential to increase inequalities. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 91(10), 801 - 802.
- Walton S, Bedford HE, Dezateux C (2006). Use of personal child health records in the UK: findings from the millennium cohort study. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 332(7536), 269 - 270. doi:10.1136/bmj.332.7536.269
- Chin RFM, Scott RC, Peckham C, Bedford H, Wade A, Neville BGR (2006). Socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and the incidence of convulsive status epilepticus in childhood. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 48, 41 - 41.
- Bedford H, Elliman D (2006). Prevention, diagnosis and management of pertussis. Nursing Times, 102(46), 42 - 44.
- Bedford H, Lane L (2006). Pneumococcal vaccine and the new child vaccination schedule. Nurs Times, 102(39), 44, 46 - 44, 47.
- Bedford H (2006). Information on childhood immunisation: parents' views. Community Practitioner, 79(8), 252 - 255.
- Samad L, Butler N, Peckham C, Bedford H (2006). Incomplete immunisation uptake in infancy: Maternal reasons. Vaccine, 24(47), 6823 - 6829. doi:10.1016/j.vaccine.2006.06.039
- Chin RF, Neville BGR, Bedford H, Wade A, Scott RC (2006). Incidence, cause, and short-term outcome of convulsive status epilepticus in childhood: prospective population-based study.. The Lancet, 368(9531), 222 - 229. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(06)69043-0
- Bedford H (2006). Improvements to the childhood immunisation programme. Primary Health Care, 16(10), 41 - 47.
- Bedford H, Tookey P (2006). Rubella and the MMR vaccine. Nursing Times, 102(5), 55 - 57.
- Shepperd S, Farndon P, Grainge V, Oliver S, Parker M, Perera R, Bedford H, Elliman D, Kent A, Rose P (2006). DISCERN-Genetics: quality criteria for information on genetic testing. Eur.J Hum.Genet., 14(11), 1179 - 1188.
- Samad L, Tate AR, Dezateux C, Peckham C, Butler N, Bedford H (2006). Differences in risk factors for partial and no immunisation in the first year of life: prospective cohort study. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 332(7553), 1312 - 1313. doi:10.1136/bmj.332.7553.1312
- Chin RF, Neville BG, Bedford H, Wade A, Scott RC (2006). Convulsive status epilepticus – Author reply. The Lancet, 368, 1328 - .
- Elliman D, Bedford H (2005). The looming measles threat-what can GPs do about it?. Pulse, , 30 - 33.
- Chin RF, Neville BGR, Peckham C, Bedford H, Wade A, Scott RC (2005). An analysis of first and second line agents for the treatment of convulsive status epilepticus in childhood. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 47(Supplement 101), 7 - 7.
- Bedford H (2005). Mumps: current outbreaks and vaccination recommendations. NURS TIMES, 101(39), 53 - 4, 56.
- Chin RFM, Neville BGR, Bedford H, Wade A, Peckham C, Scott RC (2005). Socioeconomic status, ethnicity and the incidence of convulsive status epilepticus in childhood. Epilepsia, 46, 146 - 146.
- Bedford HE, Elliman DAC (2005). Vaccination for vulnerable infants. Infant, 1(5), 144 - 148.
- Bedford H, Sengupta N, Elliman D, Booy R (2005). Measles: prevention. CLIN EVID, (13), 373 - 387.
- Wroe AL, Bhan A, Salkovskis P, Bedford H (2005). Feeling bad about immunising our children. Vaccine, 23(12), 1428 - 1433.
- Scott RC, Neville BGR, Bedford H, Wade A, Peckham C, Chin RFM (2005). Factors associated with admission to paediatric intensive care for convulsive status epilepticus. Epilepsia, 46, 161 - 161.
- Bedford H, Lenton S, Elliman D (2005). A worrying year for community child health: roll on, 2005. J FAM HEALTH CARE, 15(1), 23 - .
- Samad L, Bedford H, Tate AR, Dezateux C, Peckham C, Butler N (2005). Immunisation uptake among infants in the UK: findings from the Millennium Cohort Study.
- Chin RF, Neville BGR, Peckham C, Bedford H, Wade A, Scott RC (2005). Determinants of duration of convulsive status epilepticus in children. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 47(Supplement 101), 24 - 24.
- Bedford H (2005). Infection control. Mumps: current outbreaks and vaccination recommendations. Nursing Times, 101(39), 53 - 54.
- Moreton J, Bedford H, Elliman D (2005). Consent for screening and immunisation procedures in children and young people. Community Practitioner, 78(3), 83 - 84.
- Dezateux C, Foster L, Tate R, Walton S, Samad L, Bedford H, Bartington S, Peckham C, Cole TJ, Butler N (2005). Children's health. In Dex S, Joshi H (Ed.), Children of the 21st century: from birth to 9 months (pp. 133 - 158). : Policy Press.
- Neville BGR, Chin RFM, Peckham C, Bedford H, Wade A, Scott RC (2005). Analysis of first and second-line agents for the treatment of convulsive status epilepticus in childhood. Epilepsia, 46, 56 - 56.
- Walton S, Bedford H, Dezateux C (2005). Use of Personal Child Health Records: findings from the Millennium Cohort Study.
- Bedford H, Elliman D (2004). Child health surveillance. In Chambers R, Licence K (Ed.), Looking after Children in Primary Care: A companion to the children's National Service Framework (pp. 138 - 146). : Radcliffe.
- Sengupta N, Bedford H, Elliman D, Booy R (2004). Does the MMR triple vaccine cause autism?. Evidence-based Healthcare and Public Health, 8(5), 239 - 245.
- Bedford H, Elliman D (2004). Immunisation: a new approach. PRACT MIDWIFE, 7(9), 25 - 26.
- Bedford H (2004). Measles and the importance of maintaining vaccination levels. NURS TIMES, 100(26), 52 - 55.
- Bedford H (2004). Measles, mumps and rubella--safety of the combined vaccine. NURS TIMES, 100(9), 74 - 75.
- Bedford H, Sengupta N, Elliman D, Booy R (2004). Measles: prevention. CLIN EVID, (11), 436 - 451.
- Bedford H, Elliman D (2004). Misconceptions about the new combination vaccine. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 329(7463), 411 - 412.
- Bedford H, Elliman D, Hugman J (2004). Screening in Childhood. Community Practitioner, 77(1), 7 - 9.
- Elliman D, Bedford H (2004). The new childhood immunisation schedule. NURS STAND, 19(6), 37 - .
- Elliman D, Bedford H (2003). Safety and efficacy of combination vaccines. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 326, 995 - 996.
- Bedford H, Chalmers J (2003). A new vision for maternity records in Scotland: the Scottish Woman-Held Maternity Record (SWHMR) project and the electronic Scottish Woman-Held Maternity Record (eSWHMR) project. IHRIM : the journal of the Institute of Health Record Information and Management, 44, 21 - 24.
- Lansley M, Bedford H (2003). Reflections on the meningococcal group C infection immunisation campaign: views from the sharp end. Vaccine, 21, 2877 - 2881.
- Smailbegovic MS, Laing GJ, Bedford H (2003). Why do parents decide against immunization? The effect of health beliefs and health professionals. Child: Care, Health and Development, 29(4), 303 - 311.
- Bedford H, Elliman D (2003). Vaccine:addressing parental concerns. PRESCRIBER, 14, 23 - 34.
- Bedford H (2003). Measles: the disease and its prevention. Nursing Standard, 17, 46 - 52.
- Bedford HE, Elliman DAC (2002). The adverse effects of vaccines - fact and fiction. Current Paediatrics, 12(1), 62 - 66.
- Elliman DAC, Bedford HE (2002). Special report on MMR. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 324, 1224 - 1224.
- Elliman DAC, Dezateux C, Bedford HE (2002). Newborn and childhood screening programmes: criteria, evidence, and current policy. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 87, 6 - 9.
- Bedford HE, Moreton J, Elliman DAC (2002). MMR vaccine: are health professionals missing the point?. Common Practitioner, 75(3), 100 - 103.
- Bedford HE, Elliman DAC (2002). Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine. British Journal of Midwifery, 10(3), 140 - 142.
- (2001). Meningitis in infancy in England and Wales: follow up at age 5 years. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 323(7312), 533 - 536. doi:10.1136/bmj.323.7312.533
- (2001). How we would address parents' fear on MMR. Pulse, 61, 72 - 73.
- (2001). MMR vaccine worries are not justified. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 85, 271 - 274.
- (2001). The truth and MMR: How to deal with parents' concerns. BAACH News, 14, 5 - .
- Elliman D, Bedford H (2001). MMR vaccine: the continuing saga - Current concerns are idiosyncratic: most reviews have confirmed the vaccine's safety. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 322(7280), 183 - 184.
- Bedford H, Elliman D (2001). Childhood Immunisation.
- (2001). Health Professionals should strongly recommend this immunisation. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 323, 869 - .
- (2001). The current status of vaccine-preventable infections. Current Paediatrics, 11, 433 - 437.
- (2001). Prevention, treatment and outcomes of bacterial meningitis in childhood. Professional Nurse, 17, 1 - 3.
- Rahi JS, Williams C, Bedford H, Elliman D (2001). Screening and surveillance for ophthalmic disorders and visual deficits in children in the United Kingdom. The British Journal of Ophthalmology, 85(3), 257 - 259.
- (2001). Consider absolute risks in SIDS prevention. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 82, 457 - .
- Bedford H, Elliman D (2000). How safe is MMR?. General Practice, 46, 46 - .
- Elliman D, Bedford H (2000). Current concerns over routine vaccinations. PRESCRIBER, , 65 - 69.
- Bedford H, Elliman D (2000). Concerns about immunisation. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 320(7229), 240 - 243.
- Harvey D, Holt DE, Bedford H (1999). Bacterial meningitis in the newborn: A prospective study of mortality and morbidity. Seminars in Perinatology, 23, 218 - 225.
- Bedford H, Elliman D (1999). Studies of adverse effects of vaccination have duty to present full picture. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 318, 1487 - .
- Corbett V, Bedford H, Addison M, Streetly A (1997). Heel prick testing of neonates: the role of the health visitor. Health Visitor, 70(11), 428 - 430.
- Bedford H, Moreton J (1997). Childhood immunisation. Nursing Standard, 11(28), 49 - 56.