- School for Public Health Research
- Physical Activity Research Group
- Behaviour Change
- Global Health
- Seminars and Events
- SLMS homepage
The Domains encompass the breadth of research activity across the School of Life and Medical Sciences within nine core groupings.
Research on Physical Activity and Health in London: From laboratory to environmental and population studies
A Symposium & Networking Event organised by UCL’s Physical Activity Research Group (PARG) and the UCL Population Health Domain - 28 November 2011
The inaugural PARG symposium and networking event took place on the 28th November 2011 at the Institute of Child Health. The event was an enormous success, with over 110 delegates and a large number of high quality abstract submissions. The symposium consisted of invited guest speakers, oral presentations, moderated poster presentations, and general posters. We would like to thank all those who attended and contributed to this event, and hope to see you again next year. Please see the links below for the programme and abstract booklet, and presentation slides from the guest and oral presentations.
- Dr Emmanuel Stamatakis (UCL) - Physical activity in public health and modern medicine: an affair lacking passion?
- Prof Roger Mackett (UCL) - Active transportation and health: overcoming the barriers
- Dr Chris Owen (St George's) - Physical activity at the two ends of the age spectrum: research in multi-ethnic London children and older people
- Prof Derek Cook (St George's) - Two RCTs to increase walking in the elderly and middle-aged
Oral Presentations Stream 1: Epidemiology
- Dr Jennifer Mindell (UCL) - Active travel in children & its relationship to overall activity levels
- Dr Abigail Fisher (UCL) - Genetic and environmental influences on developmental milestones and early life physical activity
- Dr Ben Gardner (UCL) - A systematic review and meta-analysis of the influence of habit on physical activity and dietary consumption
Oral Presentations Stream 2: Cardiovascular Disease and Mental Health
Romano Endrighi (UCL) - Mood Disturbance Following Physical Activity Withdrawal is Associated With Greater Inflammatory Responses to Stress
- Miss Dorina Cadar (UCL) - Physical activity and cognitive decline in the National Study of Health and Development (NSHD)
Note: Not all presenters were able to give permission for their slides to be displayed. Please see the programme booklet for a full list of presentations and abstracts.
For further information please contact:
Dr Ngaire Coombs, PARG coordinator
Dr Emmanuel Stamatakis, PARG lead
PARG, Research Department of Epidemiology & Public Health, UCL - Gower Street Campus, 1 - 19 Torrington Place, London WC1E 6HB
An event sponsored by