- School for Public Health Research
- Early Careers Network
- Physical Activity Research Group
- Behaviour Change
- Global Health
- Seminars and Events
- SLMS homepage
The Domains encompass the breadth of research activity across the School of Life and Medical Sciences within nine core groupings.
PARG Research Publications
• Kantomaa MT, Stamatakis E, Kankaanpää A, Kaakinen M, Rodriguez A, Taanila A, Ahonen T, Järvelin M-R, Tammelin T. Physical activity and obesity mediate the association between childhood motor function and adolescents′academic achievement. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2013; 110(5): 1917–192. doi:10.1073/pnas.1214574110.
• Stamatakis E, Hamer M, O’Donovan G, Batty GD, Kivimaki M. A non-exercise testing method for estimating cardiorespiratory fitness: associations with all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in a pooled analysis of eight population-based cohorts. European Heart Journal 2013; 34(10): 750-758. doi:10.1093/eurheartj/ehs097.
• Soedamah-Muthu S, Deneve M, Tielmans S, Shelton N, Stamatakis E. Joint Associations of Alcohol Consumption and Physical Activity with All-Cause and Cardiovascular Mortality. American Journal of Cardiology 2013. doi:10.1016/j.amjcard.2013.03.040
M, Stamatakis E. Overweight and obese cardiac patients have better prognosis
despite reporting worse perceived health and more conventional risk factors.
Preventive Medicine 2013: 57:12-16.
• Stamatakis E, Coombs N, Jago R, Gama A, Mourão I, Nogueira H, Rosado V, Padez C. Associations between different indicators of screen time and cardiometabolic risk in a population sample of school children. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2013; 44(5):481– 488).
• Hamer M, Stamatakis E. Screen-based sedentary behavior, physical activity, and muscle strength in the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing. PloS One 2013; 8(6): e66222. Doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0066222.
• Stamatakis E, Coombs N, Jago R, Gama A, Mourão I, Nogueira H, Rosado V, Padez C. Associations between indicators of screen time and adiposity indices in Portuguese children. Preventive Medicine 2013; 56:299-303. doi:10.1016/j.ypmed.2013.02.006
• Pulsford RM, Stamatakis E, Britton AR, Brunner EJ, Hillsdon M. Cross-sectional and prospective associations of sitting behaviour with obesity: evidence from the Whitehall II study. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2013; 44(2):132–138.
• Tielemans SMAJ, Soedamah-Muthu SS, De Neve M, Toeller M, Chaturvedi N, Fuller JH, Stamatakis E. Associations of physical activity with all-cause mortality and incident and prevalent cardiovascular disease among patients with type 1 diabetes: the EURODIAB Prospective Complications Study. Diabetologia 2012; doi:10.1007/s00125-012-2743-6.
• Stamatakis E, Hamer M, Tiling K, Lawlor DA. Sedentary time in relation to cardio-metabolic risk factors: differential associations for self-report versus accelerometry in working age adults. International Journal of Epidemiology 2012. doi:10.1093/ije/dys077
• Stamatakis E, Hamer M, Mishra G. Early adulthood TV viewing and cardiometabolic risk profiles in early middle age: results from a population, prospective cohort study. Diabetologia 2012; 55:311-320.
• Weiler R, Chew S, Coombs N, Hamer M, Stamatakis E. Physical activity education in the undergraduate curricula of all UK medical schools. Are tomorrow’s doctors equipped to follow clinical guidelines? British Journal of Sports Medicine 2012. doi:10.1136/bjsports-2012-091380.
• Stamatakis E, Davis M, Stathi A, Hamer M. Associations between multiple indicators of objectively-measured and self-reported sedentary behaviour and cardiometabolic risk in older adults. Preventive Medicine 2012; 54: 82–87.
• Stamatakis E, Hamer M. The extent to which adiposity markers explain the association between sedentary behaviour and cardiometabolic risk factors. Obesity 2012; 20: 229-32.
• Hamer M, Stamatakis E. Low dose physical activity attenuates cardiovascular disease mortality in men and women with clustered metabolic risk factors. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes 2012 doi: 10.1161/CIRCOUTCOMES.112.965434
• Jago R, Stamatakis E, Gama A, Mourão I, Nogueira H, Rosado V, Padez C. Parental and electronic environment associations with child screen-viewing. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2012;43(2):150 –158.
• Stamatakis E, Chau JY, Pedisic Z, Bauman A, Macniven R, Coombs N, Hamer M. Are sitting occupations associated with increased all-cause, cancer, and CVD mortality risk? A pooled analysis of seven British population cohorts. PloS One. (In Press).
• Chau JY, Grunseit AC, Chey T, Stamatakis E, Brown WJ, Matthews CE, Bauman AE, van der Ploeg HP. Daily sitting time and all-cause mortality: A meta-analysis. PloS One. (In Press).
• Coombs N, Shelton N, Rowlands A, Stamatakis E. Children’s and adolescents’ sedentary behaviour in relation to socioeconomic position. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. (In Press)
• O’Donovan G, Hillsdon M, Ukoumunne OC, Stamatakis E, Hamer M. Objectively measured physical activity, cardiorespiratory fitness and cardiometabolic risk factors in the Health Survey for England. Preventive Medicine. (In Press).
• Stamatakis E, Kelechi N, Foster C, Scarborough P. Influence of global heating on discretionary physical activity levels: an important but largely overlooked consequence of climate change. Journal of Physical Activity and Health 2013 (In Press).