UCL 4 year PhD scheme in the School of Life & Medical Sciences
The four year programme is broad ranging and gives students the opportunity to undertake a PhD project within any area of life and medical sciences. In addition it offers the opportunity to obtain research experience in several laboratories before deciding on a final PhD topic. Currently the scheme is funded via the MRC doctoral training account.
It consists of an
- 8 week introductory period including some taught elements and visits to each participating Department
- Three 10-12 week rotations in laboratories of the student’s choice
- Selection of a PhD project to pursue which would run along the lines of a normal three year studentship
From October 2013 applications are being accepted for positions commencing in October 2014. Applying for a 4 year studentship does not preclude you from applying for a 3 year studentship at UCL at the same time. The eventual project can be in any field of Life and Medical Sciences. The links below provide more detail on the specific scientific research activities of the participating departments at UCL and in general most principal investigators are happy to offer projects to potential students. If there are very specific areas candidates are interested in they should approach the relevant prospective supervisors.
Faculty of Brain Sciences
Faculty of Medical Sciences
Faculty of Life Sciences
Faculty of Population Health Sciences
Institutes & Cross Faculty Activities
It is very important that you read this section carefully to ensure that you meet all the criteria.
Applicants should hold, or expect to receive, a first class or a good upper second class Honours degree.
Both the UCL and the MRC criteria currently specify the following:
- UK status applicants* are eligible for both the cost of tuition fees (amount to be confirmed in November 2011) and a stipend (approx £15,740 pa) over the course of the PhD programme
- EU status applicants are eligible for FEES ONLY and NOT a stipend over the course of the PhD programme. Exceptionally, the STIPEND IS PAYABLE if they have been resident in the UK (either working or in full-time education) during the 3 years prior to application.
- Overseas applicants ARE NOT ELIGIBLE for this programme UNLESS they fulfil the UK status requirements as given below.
*UK status requires the applicant to have full UK citizenship or to have been https://www.ucl.ac.uk/slms/courses/research-degrees/mrc-dta/index/edit/tab_edit?editor=kupuordinarily resident in the UK (i.e. not in full-time education) for the previous 3 years. If the applicant has family or spouse with UK status the stipend would be payable but UCL fees would be charged at the overseas rate and would not be fully covered by the grant.
Students interested in applying for 4 year studentships commencing in October 2014 in Medical and Life Sciences should follow the application procedure below:
Please supply as e-mail attachments:
- A completed application form (Microsoft Word format)
- Your CV (NB this must include the name of the university at which you studied and the degree title and pass level you achieved or expect to achieve)
- 2 References (using the reference form - Microsoft Word format) (References may be emailed or a hard copy sent by post to the address below.)
Closing Date: 6th January 2014
Enquiries and applications to:
Rm G52 Medical Sciences Building
Tel: 020 7679 2013 (internal 32013)
Fax: 020 7679 7298
For general information about the MRC contact:
Medical Research Council
20 Park Crescent
London W1B 1AL
Tel: +44 (0)20 7636 5422
Fax: +44 (0)20 7436 6179