Not for the first time, art’s value and role in society is changing. Long held views of the artist as a solitary producer of rarefied goods are being contested and a new sense in which artists’ engagement with material and immaterial labour can be ‘useful’ for a ‘common-good’ is gaining currency.
Discussions and projects, which address the changing subjectivity of the artist and the ‘commoning’ of art, are not new in gallery and museum culture. However, the implications of such shifts have been more slowly received, reflected and debated in schools and universities where art is studied.
‘We Need to Talk About This’ is a seminar series that seeks to increase opportunities for art educators to discuss practices across institutions and qualifications frameworks.
This second seminar aims to:
- develop a deeper understanding of the changing values and roles for the artist and their implications for cultural and educational institution; and,
- reflect on the philosophical and structural changes happening within a number of cultural institutions and consider what in precarious times ‘art education’ could learn from these developments.
We Need to Talk About This… and we hope that you will join us in a conversational day with the following confirmed speakers and panel members (more to follow):
- Gavin Wade, artist, curator and director of Eastside Projects, Birmingham
- Michaela Ross, artist and lecturer Goldsmiths and King's College London
- Anna Lucas, Artistand senior lecturer De Montfort University
- Sofia Victorino, Daskalopoulos Head of Education and Public Programmes, Whitechapel Gallery
- Elinor Brass, Head of Art and Director of the Gerald Moore Gallery at Eltham College, London
- Sarah Vanderpump, Head of Art Faculty, Welling School, Kent
- Claire Robins, Reader in Art and Education, UCL Institute of Education
- Kieren Reed, Head of Undergraduate Studies, UCL Slade School of Fine Art
This event is free but places are limited. To book a place please email Josephine Borradaile at email@example.com.
Start: Friday July 14, 2017 1pm
End: Friday July 14, 2017 6pm
Location: The Slade School of Fine Art, UCL, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT