Department of Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American Studies
News & Forthcoming Events
- Conference - Travel and Writing in the Global Renaissance
- Conference - Memories of Change
- Prof. Stephen Hart awarded the Order of Merit
- From the Golden Age to comedy gold
- El mayordomo de la duquesa de Amalfi
- Publication of Dr Zoltán Biedermann's book
- Graduate Student, Andre Graca's Article on Portuguese Cinema
- Valentino Gianuzzi PhD and Lectureship
- Prof Stephen Hart Elected Member of the Peruvian Academy of Language
We offer a wide range of degree courses combining Spanish with other languages as well as subjects from Film to Management Studies and History of Art.
For further information about our combined programmes, you can visit the French, German, Dutch, History of Art or Management Studies departmental websites. Undergraduate degree programmes normally last four years, with the third year being spent abroad in a Spanish-speaking country of the student's choice.
We provide high-quality research-led teaching that reflects the diversity of the Spanish-speaking world, research specialisms and interests of members of the department, covering topics from Don Quixote to contemporary Latin American poetry and the films of Pedro Almodóvar. We are committed to maintaining the crucial link for a research university between cutting-edge research and teaching.
Students who study Spanish and Latin American Studies at UCL have a wealth of opportunities on their doorstep from music, to art, culture and film. The BFI London Film Festival, the London Spanish Film Festival and Latin American Film Festivals take place annually, in addition to all year-round cultural activities held at the Instituto Cervantes, Canning House and the Institute for the Study of the Americas.