Department of Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American Studies
News & Forthcoming Events
- Conference - Travel and Writing in the Global Renaissance
- Conference - Memories of Change
- Prof. Stephen Hart awarded the Order of Merit
- From the Golden Age to comedy gold
- El mayordomo de la duquesa de Amalfi
- Publication of Dr Zoltán Biedermann's book
- Graduate Student, Andre Graca's Article on Portuguese Cinema
- Valentino Gianuzzi PhD and Lectureship
- Prof Stephen Hart Elected Member of the Peruvian Academy of Language
Dr Alexander Samson
Lecturer in Golden Age Literature
Tel: +44 207 679 7121 (internal x37121)
Fax: +44 207 679 2297
Office Hours: Spring 2014 - Mondays 3 - 4pm, Tuesdays 4 - 5pm, Wednesdays 12 - 1 pm.
Dr Samson lectures on the literature, culture and history of early modern Spain and Latin America. He has edited The Spanish Match: Prince Charles’s Journey to Madrid, 1623 (Ashgate, 2006) and with Jonathan Thacker A Companion to Lope de Vega (Tamesis, 2008), as well as a special issue of Renaissance Studies on 'Gardens and Horticulture in the Early Modern Period'. He has published extensively on the marriage of Philip II and Mary Tudor, historiography and royal chroniclers in 16th century Spain, firearms, Cervantes and Anglo-Spanish cultural relations. His book Mary I and the Habsburg Marriage: England and Spain 1553 – 1558 is forthcoming.
His research interests include intercultural relations and translation between Spain and England from 1500 to 1640, European festival texts, the Habsburg empire under Charles V, and early colonial history.
He runs the Golden Age and Renaissance Seminar, as well as being the co-director of UCL's Centre for Early Modern Exchanges.
He is the convenor of UCL's new MA in Early Modern Studies and teaches an option on gender and sexuality in the 16th century G013 Sex and the Body in Early Modern Europe as well as an undergraduate module on ELCS6003a Crime Fiction. He is currently supervising doctoral students working on Spanish influences on the Sidney circle and Pedro de Gante's Nahautl catechism.