Lecturer in French and Comparative Literature
Office: rm 212, 1-4 Malet Place
Office hours term 2: Thursdays 1-2 pm and 4-5 pm
Tel: 020 7679 4426
Internal extension: 34426
Research areas: Modern and contemporary fiction; cultural discourses of AIDS, especially in the work of Hervé Guibert; cultural theory, especially the work of Foucault; cultural studies; gender studies, especially gay studies and queer theory; comparative literature, especially French and Hispanic writing; medical humanities, especially literature and medicine;contemporary gay/queer cinema.
• “Developing Gay Con/texts in Early Gaël Morel”, in Cinematic Queerness. Gay and Lesbian Hypervisibility in Contemporary Francophone Feature Films, ed. by Florian Grandena and Cristina Johnston (Oxford: Peter Lang, 2011), pp. 173-91.
• “Queer in France:
AIDS Dissidentification in France”,
in Queer in Europe. Contemporary
Case Studies, ed. by Lisa Downing and Robert Gillett (Burlington: Ashgate, 2011), pp. 57-70:
• “Fragments of Wholeness and Filmic Healing: Collard’s Les Nuits fauves”, Contemporary French Civilization, 34:2, Summer 2010, pp. 115-140.
• "Hypervisibility II: Homosexualities in Contemporary Francophone Visual Cultures, University of Stirling, 25- 27 June 2008", A Report by James N Agar, University College London, in Scope: An Online Journal of Film and TV Studies, Issue 13, February 2009
• "Self-mourning in Paradise: Writing (about) AIDS through Death-bed Delirium", Paragraph, 30:1, March 2007, special issue, "Trauma, Therapy and Representation", ed. by Nerea Arruti with Bob Plant, pp. 67-84.
• "France, literature", in Routledge International Encyclopedia of Queer Culture, ed. by David A. Gerstner (London & New York: Routledge, 2006), pp. 226-229.
• "Remembrance of Health Lost: Dis/Figuring Africa in European AIDS Writing", in National Healths. Gender, Sexuality and Health in a Cross-Cultural Context, ed. by Michael Worton & Nana Wilson-Tagoe (London: UCL Press, 2004), pp. 97-108.
• "The Infection of Reading: inoculation against the disease of identity?", Journal of the Institute of Romance Studies, Vol. 7, 2000, pp. 285-301.
• "Telling stories about sida: from sublimation to the ridiculous", Modern & Contemporary France, Vol. 7, No. 2, May 1999, pp. 241-244.
• "(De)scribing the body positive: masculinities with AIDS", Journal of the Institute of Romance Studies, Vol. 5, 1998, pp. 273-289.
• "Writing = Life: breaking the silence on the 'histoire' of AIDS in France", French Cultural Studies, Vol. 9, 1998, pp.411-418.
• "Between 'Fiction' and 'Theory': The Case of Michel Foucault", Interstice, Vol. 1, 1995, pp. 73-89.