- UCL Urban Laboratory wins joint funding to participate in international network of urban laboratories
- A Small Town Near Auschwitz: Ordinary Nazis and the Holocaust
- Launch of the new UCL Institute of the Americas
- UCL & I.B. Tauris PhD Publishing Competition
- UCL Podcast: Interview with author Chibundu Onuzo
- £5,000 Digital Humanities project starter prize
UCL Urban Laboratory wins joint funding to participate in international network of urban laboratories
3 October 2012
The UCL Urban Laboratory has won a joint bid for funding from the European Commission’s Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency to participate in an international network of urban laboratories. The network, Urban Lab +, will be led by TU the Technische Universität Berlin, and includes eight established Urban Laboratories worldwide. Funding of €473,372 has been awarded for the network to run from 2013 to 2015 under the Erasmus Mundus Programme. This investment will support the participating Urban Laboratories in expanding and developing their work through international partnerships.
Activities will focus on enhancing urban teaching and research, and will include joint symposia, workshops, faculty exchange and hands-on projects. These will be structured around three clusters; interdisciplinarity, global education, and exchanges between academic researchers and built environment professionals. Dr Ben Campkin, Director of the UCL Urban Laboratory, comments that “this is a fantastic opportunity for us to strengthen our work through international collaborations. In order to address conditions of globalization we need to prioritise the development of innovative comparative frameworks in urban research and education, working across disciplinary and professional boundaries. This programme will provide an excellent structure for us to work productively alongside other world-leading laboratories to push creative and critical urban scholarship and practice forwards”.
The eight partners are:
- Technische Universität Berlin, Germany
- UCL Urban Laboratory, University College London, UK
- École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland
- Università della Calabria, Italy
- Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
- Kamla Raheja Vidyanidhi Institute for Architecture and Environmental Studies, India
- University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
The UCL Urban Laboratory, established in 2005, is a university wide initiative to bring together the best urban teaching and research at UCL. Its activities build on the full spectrum of work at UCL across the arts and sciences ranging from civil engineering to film studies, from urban history to the latest developments in architectural design.
For further information please contact Dr Ben Campkin (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr Andrew Harris (email@example.com) who are leading UCL’s involvement in the network.
1-19 Torrington Place
London WC1E 7HB
+ 44 (0)20 7679 1890