- The School
- Tutors and Officers
- Departments & Programmes
- Staff A-Z
- Who should I contact ...?
- Prospective Students
- Start of Term
- Undergraduate Degrees
- SELCS Writing Lab
- Masters degrees
- Research degrees
- Postdoctoral Research
- ELCS modules
- Personal tutoring
- Student resources
- Staff intranet
Spanish Film from the 1990s: New Ways of Seeing 1
Course code: SPAN4303.
Course unit value: 0.5.
This course examines the development of Spanish film from the 1990s onwards focusing on: the representation of social issues; theories of the gaze; the influence of Hollywood; genre and the increasing globalisation of the film industry.
Lectures will be given on set texts during the first half of each term and there will be seminar discussion comparing set texts with secondary texts during the second half.
Students must attend weekly film-viewings before classes.
Assessment: one assessed 3000 word essay (40%); and one unseen two-hour written examination (60%). In the exam, students must answer questions on films not studied for the coursework essay.
Tutor: Dr Jo Evans.
Films (subject to availability):
- Tacones lejanos (Almodóvar, 1991).
- Alas de mariposa (Bajo Ulloa, 1991).
- El sol del membrillo (Erice, 1993).
- La madre muerta (Bajo Ulloa, 1993).
- El día de la bestia (de la Iglesia, 1995).
- Tierra (Medem, 1995).
- Tesis (Amenábar, 1996).
- ¡Hola! ¿Estás sola? (Bollaín, 1995).
- Costa brava (Family Album) (Balletbò-Coll, 1995).
- Los amantes de Círculo Polar (1998).