- The School
- Tutors and Officers
- Departments & Programmes
- Staff A-Z
- Who should I contact ...?
- Prospective Students
- Start of Term
- Undergraduate Degrees
- SELCS Writing Lab
- Masters degrees
- Research degrees
- Postdoctoral Research
- ELCS modules
- Personal tutoring
- Student resources
- Staff intranet
Degree-level Modern Icelandic language
Course code: SCAN4004.
Course unit value: 1.0.
Advanced study of the modern Icelandic language for students doing a BA degree in Icelandic who will have spent their third year in Iceland. The student will be instructed in the practical use of the language, as well as trained in a variety of registers. For this purpose, a variety of texts from a number of subject areas and time periods will be studied. Teaching will be conducted entirely in Icelandic, and the students will be required to submit written work on a regular basis as well as participate actively in class discussions.
Assessment: one unseen three-hour written
examination (50%); one oral examination (30%); and coursework (20%).
Preparatory reading and set texts:
- Sölvi Sveinsson, Íslensk málsaga.
- Kristján Árnason, Íslensk málfræði, 1. hluti (Iðunn, 1982).
- Þórleifur Hauksson & Þórir Óskarsson, Íslensk stílfræði.
- Þórunn Blöndal, Mályrkja II and Vinnubók (Námsgagnastofnun).
- Árni Böðvarsson, Íslensk orðabók handa skólum og almenningi (1988).
- Jón Hilmar Jónsson, Orðastaður. Orðabók um íslenska málnotkun (1994).
- Jón G Friðjónsson, Forsetningar í íslensku (1988).
- Jón G Friðjónsson, Mergur málsins. Íslensk orðatiltæki, uppruni og notkun (1993).
Other texts will be announced in class.