- The School
- Tutors and Officers
- Departments & Programmes
- Staff A-Z
- Who should I contact ...?
- Prospective Students
- Start of Term
- Undergraduate Degrees
- SELCS Writing Lab
- Masters degrees
- Research degrees
- Postdoctoral Research
- ELCS modules
- Personal tutoring
- Student resources
- Staff intranet
Course codes and unit values:
DUTC4502, 1.0 course unit (Terms 1 and 2). Not taught in 2012-13
DUTC4502A, 0.5 course unit (Term 1 only). Not taught in 2012-13
DUTC4502B, 0.5 course unit (Term 2 only).
An advanced translation course combining reflection on the translation process with regular exercises in translating from Dutch into English covering a variety of text types. Students learn to develop a translation strategy, analyse texts for translation and translated texts, and are encouraged to develop their own approach to translation. Time is also devoted to practical skills such as editing and proofreading, accessing a range of printed and electronic lexicographical and bibliographical resources.
Assessment: one 2500 word essay (30%); and one final 1000 word translation project (70%).
Tutor: Jane Fenoulhet.
Preparatory reading and set texts:
- Boase-Beier, Jean, A Critical Introduction to Translation Studies London: Continuum, 2011
- Boase-Beier, Jean & Holman, Michael (eds). The Practices of Literary Translation. Constraints and Creativity. Manchester: St Jerome, 1999.
- Eco, Umberto. Mouse or Rat? Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2003
- Hatim, Basil & Munday, Jeremy. Translation. An Advanced Resource Book. London: Routledge, 2004
- Hervey, Sándor, Ian Higgins & Michael Loughridge. Thinking German Translation. London: Routledge, 1995
- Mossop, Brian. Revising and Editing for Translators. Manchester: St Jerome, 2000
- Munday, Jeremy. Introducing Translation Studies. London: Routledge, 2001
- Newmark, P., A Textbook of Translation. Hemel Hempstead: Phoenix ELT, 1995
- Nord, Christiane, Text Analysis in Translation. Amsterdam: Rodopi,1991
- Robinson, Douglas, Becoming a Translator. London: Routledge, 2003
- Samuelsson-Brown, G., A Practical Guide for Translators. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters, 1995
A detailed resource list will be handed out in class.