- The School
- Tutors and Officers
- Departments & Programmes
- Staff A-Z
- Who should I contact ...?
- Prospective Students
- Start of Term
- Undergraduate Degrees
- SELCS Writing Lab
- Masters degrees
- Research degrees
- Postdoctoral Research
- ELCS modules
- Personal tutoring
- Student resources
- Staff intranet
Language, Culture and Representation
Course code: LCUL1001
Course unit value: 1.0
This innovative course is available to first-year and affiliate students across UCL. The course covers themes such as culture, intercultural communication and representation, language in literature and cinema, as well as broader subjects such as gender studies, translation studies and visual culture. The course offers the opportunity to undertake project work, as well as class field-trips around London.
Assessment: two essay questions weighted 30% (1,500 words) and 70% (3,000 words)
Tutor: Dr Federica Mazzara.
Preparatory reading and set texts:
- Kramsch, Claire, Language and Culture, Oxford, Oxford UP, 1998.
- Holliday, Adrian, Kullman, John, and Hyde, Martin, Intercultural Communication: An Advanced Resource Book, London, Routledge, 2004.
- Hall, Stuart, 'Cultural Studies: Two Paradigms', Media, Culture, and Society, vol. 2 (1980).
- Williams, Raymond, Keywords: A Vocabulary of Culture and Society, New York: Oxford University Press, 1985. Available online.
- Glover, David, and Kaplan, Cora (eds), Introduction to Genders, London: Routledge, 2000.
- Bassnett, Susan, and Lefevere, André (eds), Translation, History and Culture, London: Pinter, 1990.
- Mirzoeff, Nicholas, An Introduction to Visual Culture, London: Routledge, 1999.
Bruhn, Mathias, 'Aby Warburg (1866-1929). The Survival of an Idea',
Enciclopédia e Hipertexto (online).
- Lakhous, Amara, Clash of Civilizations over an Elevator in Piazza Vittorio, New York: Europa Edition, 2008.
- Friel, Brian, Translations. A Play, London: Faber and Faber 1995.