- Prospective Students
- Interdepartmental Modules
- Departments & Centres
- Postdoctoral Research
- News & Events
- Contact Us
SCAN2004 - Intermediate Modern Icelandic Language
Value: 1.0 course unit
Tutor: Dr Helga Hlaðgerður Lúthersdóttir
Teaching structure: The module is taught by classroom instruction using texts which illustrate everyday life in Iceland, past and present, and literary texts. As well as taking active part in lessons the student will be expected to work on short compositions and essays, read excerpts from several modern Icelandic literary texts, and participate in class discussions in Icelandic.
Assessment: one unseen written examination (50%); one oral examination (30%); and one assessed coursework in the form of language portfolio (20%).
This module aims to develop the student’s ability to speak and understand, read and write Icelandic up to an advanced level and to deepen their understanding of the grammar of the language. Particular attention will be given to impersonal and passive constructions and to the use of the subjunctive.
Preparatory Reading and Set Texts:
- Icelandic Online I
- Gerður Kristný Eitruð epli (Forlagið).
- Ásta Svavarsdóttir and Margrét Jónsdóttir, Íslenska fyrir útlendinga. Kennslubók í málfræði (1988 or later).
- Ásta Svavarsdóttir, Æfingar með enskum glósum og leiðréttingalyklum við bókina ‘Íslenska fyrir útlendinga’ (1993 or later).
- ISLEX Orðabókin
- Íslensk-ensk ensk-íslensk vasaorðabók (Forlagið 2012)
- Árni Böðvarsson, Íslensk orðabók handa skólum og almenningi (1988).
- Jón Skaptason et al., Ensk-íslensk skólaorðabók (1998).
- Jón Hilmar Jónsson, Orðastaður. Orðabók um íslenska málnotkun (1994).