- Prospective Students
- Interdepartmental Modules
- Departments & Centres
- Postdoctoral Research
- News & Events
- Contact Us
FREN2107 - Exploration of Self and Form: the Contemporary Period
Value: 0.5 course units
Tutor: Professor Andrew Leak
Assessment: two-hour written examination in term 3 (covering all components of FREN2107- Exploration of Self and Form: the Contemporary Period).
Student workload: prescribed reading; secondary reading as assigned; one practice essay; other work as assigned by the module tutor.
This module will examine a number of key French and Francophone texts from the twentieth century in a variety of genres. The focus of the module will be on the question of identity and the complex interaction of social, environmental and psychological factors in identity formation.
Preparatory Reading and Set Texts:
- André Gide, L'Immoraliste. Folio.
- Jean-Paul Sartre, Huis clos. Folio.
- Aimé Césaire, Cahier d'un retour au pays natal. Bloodaxe.
- Samuel Beckett, La Dernière Bande. Minuit.
- Annie Ernaux, La Place. Folio.