- Prospective Students
- Interdepartmental Modules
- Departments & Centres
- Postdoctoral Research
- News & Events
- Contact Us
GERM1104 - An Introduction to German Film since 1945
Value: 0.5 course units
Tutor: Reinier van Straten
Assessment: 1 two-hour written examination 50%; 1 assessed essay (2500 words) 50%, for which students will have access to DVD material.
This module will examine a representative selection of German films made by prominent post-war directors in the West as well as in the East, such as Herzog, Wenders, Fassbinder and Tykwer, paying particular attention to their depiction of German history and society. The aim is to introduce students to film theory and to techniques of film analysis, while at the same time complementing the core modules GERM1105- An Introduction to Modern German Literature, GERM1101- An Introduction to German History, GERM1001- The Modern German Language.
Preparatory Reading and Set Texts:
- Thomas Elsaesser, New German Cinema, (London 1989)
- Wolfgang Jacobsen / Anton Kaes / Hans Helmut Prinzler (eds), Geschichte des deutschen Films, (Stuttgart 1993)
- Anton Kaes, Deutschlandbilder. Die Wiederkehr der Geschichte als Film, (Munich 1987) (English publication: From Hitler to Heimat)
- James Monaco, How to read a film, (New York 1977)