- Prospective Students
- Interdepartmental Modules
- Departments & Centres
- Postdoctoral Research
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- Pre-Registration for Continuing Students 14-15
DUTC1101 - Born out of Rebellion: The Netherlands from the Dutch Revolt to the eve of World War I
Value: 0.5 course units
Tutor: Nick Piercey
Assessment: two 1500 word essays (25% each) and one unseen two-hour examination (50%).
Situated at the crossroads between the Anglophone, Francophone and German-speaking cultures, “the Low Countries”, present-day Belgium and the Netherlands, offer a fascinating picture of European history en miniature. Many common traits and similar developments have differentiated these countries from the surrounding great powers and have given them a distinct character.
The module offers a broad survey of Low Countries History from the late Middle Ages to the eve of World War I. It aims to: develop a good understanding of the major topics of Dutch and Belgian history from the late Middle Ages to the early 20th century; introduce basic concepts and approaches in the study of history; help you develop analytical, writing and presentation skills.
Although mainly directed at students of Dutch, the module is also suited for all learners with an interest in this European neighbour region of the UK, whose early modern history was closely intertwined with that of Britain. No previous historical knowledge or competence in Dutch is required.
Preparatory reading and set texts:
The following textbook, a standard history, provides backup to the programme:
- J. C. H. Blom and E. Lamberts (eds), History of the Low Countries (New York/London: Berghahn Books, 1999, 2nd ed. 2004). Several copies are held by UCL Library at DUTCH H32.51 BLO.
- Paul Arblaster, A history of the Low Countries (Basingstoke, 2006). UCL Library DUTCH H 32.51 ARB.
- J. A. Kossmann-Putto, and E. H. Kossmann, The Low Countries: History of the Northern and Southern Netherlands (Flemish-Netherlands Foundation, 1994). UCL Library: DUTCH H32.51 KOS.
- P. J. A. N. Rietbergen, A Short History of the Netherlands: from Prehistory to the Present Day (Amersfoort, 1992). UCL Library: DUTCH H32.51 RIE.