- Prospective Students
- Interdepartmental Modules
- Departments & Centres
- Postdoctoral Research
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- Pre-Registration for Continuing Students 14-15
SCAN7001 - Faroese 1
Value: 0.5 course units
Tutor: Dr John Mitchinson
Assessment: one oral examination (20%); one one-hour written examination (30%); and one 1500 word coursework project (50%).
This module aims to introduce students to the language and culture of the Faroe Islands, one of the United Kingdom’s closest, yet least well-known neighbours. The module equips students with a basic knowledge of Faroese, both written and spoken, so that they will be able to read elementary texts and engage in simple conversation. Using a method of object-based learning, each week will focus on a different Faroese ‘object’, which will form the basis for a closer look at various aspects of Faroese language and culture. The objects will cover a wide range of themes and periods in Faroese history.
Students from Faroese 1 will have the opportunity to
contribute to and take part in a Faroese exhibition that will take
place during the spring term.
Preparatory Reading and Set Texts:
- John F. West, Faroe: The Emergence of a Nation (New York, P.S. Eriksson, 1972).
- W. B. Lockwood, An Introduction to Modern Faroese (Tórshavn, Skúlabókagrunnur, 1955).
- H. Thráinsson, H. P. Petersen, J. í Lon Jacobsen and Z. S. Hansen, Faroese: An Overview and Reference Grammar (Tórshavn, Føroya Fróðskaparfelag, 2004).
- Hjalmar P. Petersen and Jonathan Adams, Faroese: A Language Course for Beginners (Grammar/Textbook) (Tórshavn, Stiðin, 2009).
- Annfinnur í Skála and Jonhard Mikkelsen, Ensk-føroysk/føroysk-ensk orðabók (Tórshavn, Sprotin, 2008).