- Prospective Students
- Interdepartmental Modules
- Departments & Centres
- Postdoctoral Research
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- Start of Term 2014-15
SCAN4004 - Degree-level Modern Icelandic
Value: 1.0 course unit
Tutor: Dr Helga Hlaðgerður Lúthersdóttir
Teaching structure: The module is taught by classroom instruction using texts which illustrate everyday life in Iceland, past and present, and literary texts. The student will be expected to work on short compositions and essays, read excerpts from several modern Icelandic literary texts as well as a selected novel, give presentations in class and participate in class discussions in Icelandic.
Assessment: one unseen three-hour written examination (50%); one oral examination (30%); and one assessment, in the form of a language portfolio (20%).
Advanced study of the modern Icelandic language for students doing a BA degree in Icelandic who will have spent their third year in Iceland. The student will be instructed in the practical use of the language, as well as trained in a variety of registers. For this purpose, a variety of texts from a number of subject areas and time periods will be studied. Teaching will be conducted entirely in Icelandic, and the students will be required to submit written work on a regular basis as well as participate actively in class discussions.
Preparatory Reading and Set Texts:
- Íslenska 1, kennslubók fyrir framhaldsskóla
- Þorbjörg Halldórsdóttir, Litli málfræðingurinn (Mímir)
- Ásta Svavarsdóttir and Margrét Jónsdóttir, Íslenska fyrir útlendinga. Kennslubók í málfræði (1988 or later).
- Ásta Svavarsdóttir, Æfingar með enskum glósum og leiðréttingalyklum við bókina ‘Íslenska fyrir útlendinga’ (1993 or later).
- Selected novel (TBD)
- ISLEX Orðabókin (http://islex.hi.is/)
- Íslensk-ensk ensk-íslensk vasaorðabók (Forlagið 2012)
- Árni Böðvarsson, Íslensk orðabók handa skólum og almenningi (1988).
- Jón Hilmar Jónsson, Orðastaður. Orðabók um íslenska málnotkun (1994).
- Jón G Friðjónsson, Forsetningar í íslensku (1988).
- Jón G Friðjónsson, Mergur málsins. Íslensk orðatiltæki, uppruni og notkun (1993).
Other texts will be announced in class.