- Prospective Students
- Interdepartmental Modules
- Departments & Centres
- Postdoctoral Research
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- Start of Term 2014-15
ITAL4110 - Cultures of Tradition and Modernity
Value: 0.5 course units
Tutor: Professor Robert Lumley
Assessment: one unseen three-hour written examination.
The postwar transformation of Italy from a rural to an industrial society brought with it the destruction of a millennial 'peasant civilisation' and the rise of an urban culture of consumption influenced by American models. The module looks at this dramatic history through the work of leading thinkers, writers, artists and filmmakers: Danilo Dolci, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Umberto Eco. We will study a wide range of materials from documentary film and journalism to design and photography.
Preparatory Reading and Set Texts:
- D. Forgacs and R. Lumley (eds.), Italian Cultural Studies: An Introduction (Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1996).
- U. Eco, Apocalittici e integrati (Milan, Bompiani, 1991).
- D. Dolci, Racconti siciliani (Palermo, Sellerio, 2008).
- S. Rohdie, The Passion of Pier Paolo Pasolini (London, BFI, 1996).
- M. A. Pelizzari, Photography and Italy (London, Reaktion, 2011).