- Prospective Students
- Interdepartmental Modules
- Departments & Centres
- Postdoctoral Research
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- Start of Term 2014-15
FREN4206 - Representations of the Algerian War
Value: 0.5 course units
Tutor: Dr Azzedine Haddour
Assessment: two assessed 3000 word essays (100%).
This module centres on representations of the Algerian War in fiction, films and
documentaries. Seminars will be divided between close textual analysis of individual
novels, and contextualising work that situates those novels in a broader historical and literary framework. The aim is to offer the opportunity to study in depth some complex and fascinating literary works, and to consider questions about the relationship between literature, history, and memory, and between different forms of
Preparatory Reading and Set Texts:
- Mohammed Dib, L’Incendie.
- Assia Djebar, La Femme sans sépulture.
- Jean Pelegri, Les Oliviers de la justice.
- Frantz Fanon, Les Damnés de la terre.
- Philippe Leotard, Avoir 20 ans dans les Aures.
- Gillo Pontecorvo, La Bataille d’Alger.
- Patrick Rotman and Bertrand Tavernier, La Guerre sans nom.
- Laurent Heynemann, La Question.