- Prospective Students
- Interdepartmental Modules
- Departments & Centres
- Postdoctoral Research
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- Pre-Registration for Continuing Students 14-15
FREN4112 - Advanced French Politics
Value: 0.5 course units
Tutor: Professor Philippe Marlière
Assessment: one unseen three-hour written examination (100%).
This is an advanced module in French politics which deals with various aspects of
French political life:
- Citizens, democracy and the political field;
- French political traditions and political culture;
- The main political parties in France and the French party system;
- How France votes: a sociological explanation of voting in France;
- The question of ‘political competence’ and of ‘politicisation’;
- Public opinion and opinion polls;
- The institutions of the 5th Republic.
Students taking this module are expected to have a genuine interest in current sociopolitical affairs in France.
Preparatory Reading and Set Texts:
studypacks with photocopied book chapters and
articles will be sold at cost price at the beginning of the academic
year. At the beginning of each class, a student will make a 7-10 minute
exposé on some of the texts of the studypack.
The following books should be read or consulted during the year abroad:
- P. Bréchon, Les Partis politiques (Paris, Montchrestien, ‘Clefs-Politique’, 1999).
- R. Elgie, Political Institutions in Contemporary France: An Introduction to French Politics and Society (Oxford, OUP, 2003).
- D. Gaxie, La Démocratie représentative (Paris, Montchrestien, ‘Clefs-Politique’, 3rd ed.).
- O. Ihl, Le vote (Paris, Montchrestien, ‘Clefs-Politique’, 2000).
- J. Lagroye, La Politisation (Paris, Belin ‘Socio-Histoires’, 2003).
- A. Stevens, The Government and Politics of France (Basingstoke, Macmillan, 1996).
It is essential to keep up with major political and social debates in the following newspapers when you are in France:
News and debates online: