- Prospective Students
- Interdepartmental Modules
- Departments & Centres
- Postdoctoral Research
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- Start of Term 2014-15
DUTC4502 - Advanced Translation (from Dutch into English)
Value: DUTC4502, 1.0 course unit (Terms 1 and 2).
DUTC4502A, 0.5 course unit (Term 1 only).
DUTC4502B, 0.5 course unit (Term 2 only).
Tutor: Professor Jane Fenoulhet
Teaching structure: Students taking the one-term versions of the module are taught together with the students on the full-year module. This means that a different range of topics is covered in each term and this is reflected in the assessment. For more information, please contact the tutor.
Assessment: full course unit: one 2,500 word essay (30%); and one final project consisting of a translation of 2,500 words plus commentary of 2,000 words (70%).
half course unit: 100% coursework, normally consisting of an annotated translation and an essay or commentary.
An advanced translation module combining reflection on the translation process with regular exercises in translating from Dutch into English covering a variety of text types. Students learn to develop a translation strategy, analyse texts for translation and translated literary texts, and are encouraged to develop their own approach to translation. Time is also devoted to practical skills such as editing and proofreading, accessing a range of printed and electronic lexicographical and bibliographical resources.
Preparatory Reading and Set Texts:
- Boase-Beier, Jean, A Critical Introduction to Translation Studies. London: Continuum, 2011
- Boase-Beier, Jean & Holman, Michael (eds). The Practices of Literary Translation. Constraints and Creativity. Manchester: St Jerome, 1999.
- Eco, Umberto. Mouse or Rat? Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2003
- Hatim, Basil & Munday, Jeremy. Translation. An Advanced Resource Book. London: Routledge, 2004
- Hervey, Sándor, Ian Higgins & Michael Loughridge. Thinking German Translation. London: Routledge, 1995
- Mossop, Brian. Revising and Editing for Translators. Manchester: St Jerome, 2000
- Munday, Jeremy. Introducing Translation Studies. London: Routledge, 2001
- Nord, Christiane, Text Analysis in Translation. Amsterdam: Rodopi,1991
- Robinson, Douglas, Becoming a Translator. London: Routledge, 2003
- Samuelsson-Brown, G., A Practical Guide for Translators. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters, 1995
Links to online resources will be provided in the Moodle site for this module.