- Prospective Students
- Erasmus & Exchange
- Interdepartmental Modules
- Departments & Centres
- Postdoctoral Research
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- UCL Modern Languages League Table
- Public Engagement in SELCS
- Made In Italy Evening Classes
SPANGF02 - New Argentine Cinemas
Value: 30 credits
Tutor: Dr Deborah Martin
Assessment: one 6,000 word essay
The module examines the new currents of filmmaking emerging in Argentina since the mid-1990s, some of which have been considered under the ‘New Argentine Cinema’ label. The ‘New Argentine Cinema’ – of which Pizza, birra, faso (Caetano and Stagnoaro, 1997) is often said to be one of the first works – has been characterised by its refusal to provide any explicit comment on politics, its focus on the margins (social and geographical), and on ‘small stories’, rather than ones which try to represent the nation’s totality. In addition these films tend to use a pared-down, neo-realist or documentary look as an aesthetic response to the neoliberal context of the 1990s and the socio-economic crisis of 2001. We will address the transformations and developments in recent Argentine Cinema, including important genre responses to neoliberalism and economic crisis such as Nine Queens (Bielinsky, 2000) and the emergence of other ‘new’ themes and bodies of work, such as the recent insistent focus on gender and sexuality in the work of women filmmakers (Martel, Puenzo and Solomonoff).
- Pizza, beer, smokes (Pizza, birra, faso, Adrián Caetano & Bruno Stagnaro, 1997)
- Crane World (Mundo grúa, Pablo Trapero, 1999)
- Nine Queens (Nueve reinas, Fabián Bielinsky, 2000)
- The Swamp (La ciénaga, Lucrecia Martel, 2001)
- Freedom (La libertad, Lisandro Alonso, 2001)
- The Blondes (Los rubios, Albertina Carri, 2003)
- XXY (Lucía Puenzo, 2007)
- The Headless Woman (La mujer sin cabeza, Lucrecia Martel, 2008)
- The Last Summer of La Boyita (El último verano de la boyita, Julia Solomonoff, 2009)
- La rabia (Anger, Albertina Carri, 2009)
Initial general bibliography
- Aguilar, G. Other Worlds: New Argentine Cinema (Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2008).
- Andermann, J. New Argentine Cinema (London: IB Tauris, 2012).
- Bernades et. al. New Argentine Cinema: Themes, Auteurs and Trends of Innovation (Buenos Aires: FIPRESCI/Tatanka, 2002).
- Falicov, T. L. The Cinematic Tango: Contemporary Argentine Film (London and New York: Wallflower, 2007).
- Page, J. Crisis and Capitalism in Contemporary Argentine Cinema (Durham: Duke University Press, 2009).
- Rangil, V, (ed.). El cine argentino de hoy: entre el arte y la política (Bueno Aires: Editorial Biblos, 2007).