- Prospective Students
- Interdepartmental Modules
- Departments & Centres
- Postdoctoral Research
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- Scholarships & Funding (Overview)
- UK/EU Master's Scholarships
- Departmental Funding Opportunities
- Scholarships for Overseas Master's Students
- AHRC Research Preparation MA Awards
- Jean Orr Scholarship
- Postgraduate Bursaries
- Siva-Finestone MA Scholarship
- AHRC Arthur Schnitzler Award
For the majority of scholarships, you must be in receipt of an offer to be eligible for consideration. Please bear in mind that it can take up to four weeks from the date of a completed application's being received by the department for a decision to be made, and a formal offer to be processed.
It is the applicant's responsibility to make sure that he or she applies in good time, to allow references to be submitted and an offer to be made. Applicants who do not hold an offer by a scholarship's deadline will be excluded from the competition for that scholarship.
Closing Date for Applications
Graduate Research Scholarships (GRS)
Overseas Research Scholarships (ORS)
AHRC Arthur Schnitzler Project
AHRC (LAHP) for Doctoral Students
CHIRP Small Research Grants Scheme
Deadline for other scholarships, such as AHRC awards, will be added as they are released.
ITALG012 - Contemporary Italian Cultures
This module looks at Italian culture and
cultural debates in the second half of the twentieth and beginning of
the twenty-first century. It takes a multi-disciplinary approach to
subject matter drawn from 'high' and 'mass culture' – film, television,
and comics. Key shifts are addressed, such as the emergence of mass
culture and postmodernism, and the module examines theoretical texts by
leading thinkers as well as fictional works and the proliferation of
cultural forms in different media. Cinema is reviewed in its post-war
history and in relation to debates in queer theory. The module also
provides background for further study and for formulating a dissertation
Preparatory Reading and Set Texts:
- Ginsborg, Paul, Silvio Berlusconi: television, power and patrimony. London: Verso, 2004.
- Hibberd, Matthew, The Media in Italy: Press, Cinema and Broadcasting from Unification to Digital. Maidenhead: Open University Press, 2007.
- Monteleone, Franco, Televisione ieri e oggi: studi e analisi sul caso italiano. Venezia: Marsilio, 2006.
- McCloud, Scott, Understanding Comics, 1993.
- McCloud, Scott, Reinventing Comics, 2000.