- Prospective Students
- Interdepartmental Modules
- Departments & Centres
- Postdoctoral Research
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- Pre-Registration for Continuing Students 14-15
ITALG012 - Contemporary Italian Cultures
This module looks at Italian culture and
cultural debates in the second half of the twentieth and beginning of
the twenty-first century. It takes a multi-disciplinary approach to
subject matter drawn from 'high' and 'mass culture' – film, television,
and comics. Key shifts are addressed, such as the emergence of mass
culture and postmodernism, and the module examines theoretical texts by
leading thinkers as well as fictional works and the proliferation of
cultural forms in different media. Cinema is reviewed in its post-war
history and in relation to debates in queer theory. The module also
provides background for further study and for formulating a dissertation
Preparatory Reading and Set Texts:
- Ginsborg, Paul, Silvio Berlusconi: television, power and patrimony. London: Verso, 2004.
- Hibberd, Matthew, The Media in Italy: Press, Cinema and Broadcasting from Unification to Digital. Maidenhead: Open University Press, 2007.
- Monteleone, Franco, Televisione ieri e oggi: studi e analisi sul caso italiano. Venezia: Marsilio, 2006.
- McCloud, Scott, Understanding Comics, 1993.
- McCloud, Scott, Reinventing Comics, 2000.