- Prospective Students
- Interdepartmental Modules
- Departments & Centres
- Postdoctoral Research
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- Scholarships & Funding (Overview)
- UK/EU Master's Scholarships
- Departmental Funding Opportunities
- Scholarships for Overseas Master's Students
- AHRC Research Preparation MA Awards
- Jean Orr Scholarship
- Postgraduate Bursaries
- Siva-Finestone MA Scholarship
For the majority of scholarships, you must be in receipt of an offer to be eligible for consideration. Please bear in mind that it can take up to four weeks from the date of a completed application's being received by the department for a decision to be made, and a formal offer to be processed.
It is the applicant's responsibility to make sure that he or she applies in good time, to allow references to be submitted and an offer to be made. Applicants who do not hold an offer by a scholarship's deadline will be excluded from the competition for that scholarship.
Closing Date for Applications
Graduate Research Scholarships (GRS)
Overseas Research Scholarships (ORS)
Deadline for other scholarships, such as AHRC awards, will be added as they are released.
ITALG011 - Contemporary Italian Histories
This module analyses various key
issues in contemporary Italian history, from a series of points of view
and using different sources and approaches. Students will look at: the
history of organised crime, historical memory and social conflict in
Italy in the 1960s and 1970s, emigration and immigration in literature
and film. The module is designed to reflect on the methods and theories
used in analysis as well as to engage with critical moments of
transition or with the peculiarities of the Italian case. It also
provides a background for further study and for formulating a
Preparatory Reading and Set Texts:
- Dickie, John, Cosa Nostra. A History of the Sicilian Mafia, Hodder & Stoughton, 2004.
- De Amicis, E, Cuore, any modern edition. Original edition Milan, 1886.
- Anderson, B, Imagined Communities, (revised edn), Verso, 1991.
- Antonello, Pierpaolo and O'Leary, Alan (eds) Imagining Terrorism: The Rhetoric and Representation of Political Violence in Italy 1969-2009 (Legenda Italian Perspectives) 2011.
- Cento Bull, Anna, Speaking Out and Silencing: Culture, Society and Politics in Italy in the 1970s (Legenda Italian Perspectives) 2005.
- Memories of 1968. International Perspectives, Cornils I., Waters S. (eds), Peter Lang, Oxford, 2010.
- Passerini, Luisa, Autoritratto di gruppo, Giunti, Florence, 1989.
- Methnani S., Fortunato M., Immigrato, Bompiani, 2006.
- Lakhous A. Scontro di civilta' per un ascensore a Piazza Vittorio (Also available in English translation. The Italian version is recommended!) (Waterstones).
- Lemes Dias C., 'Livia e il Drago', in Storie di extracomunitaria follia (Moodle).
- Parati, G. 'Where do Migrants live?'. Annali di italianistica. 28 (2010).