- Prospective Students
- Interdepartmental Modules
- Departments & Centres
- Postdoctoral Research
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- Scholarships & Funding (Overview)
- UK/EU Master's Scholarships
- Departmental Funding Opportunities
- Scholarships for Overseas Master's Students
- AHRC Research Preparation MA Awards
- Jean Orr Scholarship
- Postgraduate Bursaries
- Siva-Finestone MA Scholarship
- AHRC Arthur Schnitzler Award
For the majority of scholarships, you must be in receipt of an offer to be eligible for consideration. Please bear in mind that it can take up to four weeks from the date of a completed application's being received by the department for a decision to be made, and a formal offer to be processed.
It is the applicant's responsibility to make sure that he or she applies in good time, to allow references to be submitted and an offer to be made. Applicants who do not hold an offer by a scholarship's deadline will be excluded from the competition for that scholarship.
Closing Date for Applications
Graduate Research Scholarships (GRS)
Overseas Research Scholarships (ORS)
AHRC Arthur Schnitzler Project
AHRC (LAHP) for Doctoral Students
CHIRP Small Research Grants Scheme
Deadline for other scholarships, such as AHRC awards, will be added as they are released.
ITALG010 - Italy: A Difficult Modernity
This module seeks to provide an introduction to methodological,
historical and theoretical issues that address Italy's experience of
modernity in the late 19th and 20th centuries. Key questions that are
examined include notions of 'traditional' and 'modern' societies, the
'nation', and 'national identity', mafia and organised crime, and the
relationship of Italian culture to American models of modernity. The
module is designed to give a background for study on other modules and
for research on the dissertation.
Preparatory Reading and Set Texts:
- Levi, Carlo, Cristo si e' fermato a Eboli (Turin: Einaudi, 1945; 2012).
- Forgacs, David, Industrial Culture in the Industrial Era, 1910-80 (Manchester: Manchester University Press 1990).
- Forgacs, David & Lumley, Robert, eds, Italian Cultural Studies (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1996).
- Ben-Ghiat, Ruth, Fascist Modernities, 1922-45 (Los Angeles: University of California Press, 2001).
- Schnapp, Jeffrey, Modernitalia (Oxford: Peter Lang, September 2012).
- Anderson, Benedict, Imagined Communities. Reflections on the Origins and Spread of Nationalism (London: Verso, 2006).
- De Amicis, Edmondo, Cuore (Milan: Garzanti, 1886; 2012)
- Dickie, John, Cosa Nostra (London: Palgrave, 2006)
- Gambetta, Diego, The Sicilian Mafia (Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press, 1996).
All reading and the full module outline are available from the moodle page from the first week of term.