- Prospective Students
- Interdepartmental Modules
- Departments & Centres
- Postdoctoral Research
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- Scholarships & Funding (Overview)
- UK/EU Master's Scholarships
- Departmental Funding Opportunities
- Scholarships for Overseas Master's Students
- AHRC Research Preparation MA Awards
- Jean Orr Scholarship
- Postgraduate Bursaries
- Siva-Finestone MA Scholarship
For the majority of scholarships, you must be in receipt of an offer to be eligible for consideration. Please bear in mind that it can take up to four weeks from the date of a completed application's being received by the department for a decision to be made, and a formal offer to be processed.
It is the applicant's responsibility to make sure that he or she applies in good time, to allow references to be submitted and an offer to be made. Applicants who do not hold an offer by a scholarship's deadline will be excluded from the competition for that scholarship.
Closing Date for Applications
Graduate Research Scholarships (GRS)
Overseas Research Scholarships (ORS)
Deadline for other scholarships, such as AHRC awards, will be added as they are released.
ELCSG019 - Europe and the Crusades
Value: 30 credits
Tutor: Dr Haki Antonsson
Assessment: 5,000-word essay.
This module will explore the medieval Crusades and the impact they
exerted on European history, literature and art. The module will
commence with a broad overview of the origin of the Crusades and their
development. The second part of the module will examine the influence
the Crusades had on literature and art from medieval to modern times,
most notably in literature, art and cinema. The last part of the module
will focus on the evolving political legacy of the Crusades, especially
as it relates to relations between the West and the Muslim World.
Particular emphasis will be placed on examining visual evidence –
paintings, architecture and films – relating to the Crusades.
Preparatory Reading and Set Texts:
- Sarah Jane Allen & Emilie Amt (eds.), The Crusades: A Reader (Broadview Press, 2003)
- Francesco Gabrieli (ed.), Arab Historians of the Crusades, (University of California Press, 1984)
- Edwin Peters (ed.), The First Crusade: The Chronicle of Fulcher of Chartres and Other Source Material, ed. Edwin Peters (University of Pennsylvania Press, 1998)
Initial Secondary Bibliography:
- Vladimir P. Goss (ed.), The Meeting of Two Worlds: Cultural Exchange Between East and West During the Period of the Crusades (Medieval Institute Publications,1986)
- Norman Housley, Contesting the Crusades (Blackwell, 2006)
- Thomas F Madden (ed.), The Crusades. The Essential Readings (Blackwell, 2002)
- Jonathan Riley-Smith, What were the Crusades? (4th edition, Ignatius Press, 2009)
- Jonathan Riley-Smith, The Crusades, Christianity, and Islam (Columbia University Press, 2008)